Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Cheap Miata

Suspension Modder

Default WTB: Cheap Miata

The title sums it up. I've owned 2 Miatas before- a 94R and a 99 Sport- and I'd like to get another one. Help a Metroplex Miata n00b recover from years of Miata withdrawal!

The Criteria:

1) <$2,500.

2) 90-93 1.6L cars preferred because of lack of passenger side airbag (I have little kids).

3) Clear title in your name in your hand. NO EXCUSES OR STORIES. If I want to hear a long-winded story about somebody's relatives, I will listen to "Prairie Home Companion".

4) MANDATORY: Manual tranny. Good top. Current inspection sticker. This will be a daily driver, so no major mechanical problems and no major missing parts. Functional A/C. Good tires (i.e. they have verifiable tread and no cords showing- for this price, I'll forgive you if they're Sears Roadhandlers). No salvage titles.

5) PREFERRED: Non smoking (the owner and the car). Cloth interior. Decent paint- no peeling Crystal White. 91.5+ car with "big nose" crank. Stock condition or mild, tasteful modifications- price needs to be REALLY good for me to accept super-loud exhaust, 700 lb/in springs, and/or an über-pimpin' fo shizzle J-spec Kombat Doriftu body kit.

If you've got a car that fits the criteria, feel free to email or reply here. Thanks!
    Chris W. 96M Miata :)

Quote Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
    The title sums it up. I've owned 2 Miatas before- a 94R and a 99 Sport- and I'd like to get another one. Help a Metroplex Miata n00b recover from years of Miata withdrawal!

The Criteria:

1) <$2,500.

2) 90-93 1.6L cars preferred because of lack of passenger side airbag (I have little kids).

3) Clear title in your name in your hand. NO EXCUSES OR STORIES. If I want to hear a long-winded story about somebody's relatives, I will listen to "Prairie Home Companion".

4) MANDATORY: Manual tranny. Good top. Current inspection sticker. This will be a daily driver, so no major mechanical problems and no major missing parts. Functional A/C. Good tires (i.e. they have verifiable tread and no cords showing- for this price, I'll forgive you if they're Sears Roadhandlers). No salvage titles.

5) PREFERRED: Non smoking (the owner and the car). Cloth interior. Decent paint- no peeling Crystal White. 91.5+ car with "big nose" crank. Stock condition or mild, tasteful modifications- price needs to be REALLY good for me to accept super-loud exhaust, 700 lb/in springs, and/or an über-pimpin' fo shizzle J-spec Kombat Doriftu body kit.

If you've got a car that fits the criteria, feel free to email or reply here. Thanks!
    Wow...Your not pickey are you?
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer View Post
    His mandatory list sounds very reasonable to me... what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The list is good but it won't match up to the price he's wanting to pay.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

There's no problem!
    Sell him your car....

I think it is very possible to find a car around the DFW area that meets his mandatory list for an advertised price of $3000-$3500. I would think it would be very doable to talk one of these down to $2500 when you consider it is a convertible and it starts getting cold tomorrow. A little patience and this should be very possible.

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer View Post
    I've bought several cars for less than $2,500 that met everything on the "Mandatory" list, including an 85 RX-7 for $900 and my current OTM, a 93 Corolla I bought for $1,700. None of these cars were Miatas, but Miatas aren't worth THAT much more.

FWIW to me, "major mechanical problems" means things like serious rod knock, smoke pouring out of the tailpipe, cannot engage 2nd gear, etc. Squealing brakes and suchlike qualify as "minor".

"Major missing parts" means things like a missing trunk lid, or the interior has been gutted to start a race car project and the door panels, passenger seat, and carpet are gone. Again, missing center console lids, radios, and suchlike qualify as "minor".

ANY option package... base cars are fine, I like manual steering... ANY color, I just don't want a Crystal White car with huge rusty peeled paint spots... non-stock colors are OK... high miles are OK... dirt is OK... I'm not expecting perfection here.

I am NOT asking "WTB 91 BRG or 93 LE with <100k Miles for <$2,500".
    Chris W. 96M Miata :)

This one meets the criteria. Even has a NEW top and NEW tires.
    AND it's only got 150 miles!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    AND it's only got 150 miles!
    And it is one of those Special Edition red ones.

I'm glad I was able to help him find a car....
    Try the veal...and F you Titus

This one is close, but has leather. Still may be worth a look, especially since the price is right

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    The list is good but it won't match up to the price he's wanting to pay.

+1
    99 Miata Black

I think it is very possible to find a car around the DFW area that meets his mandatory list for an advertised price of $3000-$3500. I would think it would be very doable to talk one of these down to $2500 when you consider it is a convertible and it starts getting cold tomorrow. A little patience and this should be very possible.
    Yep, I agree with Sparky!

I called on the red "Special Edition" one. He said some guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow. It has ABS, which I'm seeking.

Brian
    Last edited by bfitz; 10-11-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: clarify "which one"

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    I called on the red "Special Edition" one. He said some guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow. It has ABS, which I'm seeking.

Brian
    Which one???

The anti lock brakes make me question things.
    That's not a common feature on an NA or even an NB, and a special package in good condition at that price???? I'm not saying run away, just take a close look before you buy.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post

Brian
    ABS is hard to find. I was looking for ABS (it would make me feel better about buying Race Rubber) But my only choice would have been the Smerple 2000 and people that own those cars name them things like Watson and talk to them and that just freaks me out.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    Smerple 2000
    I'm afraid I am not familiar with this model???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast