Thread: replacing a VIN plate

Default replacing a VIN plate

Long story short. Someone bastard stole my Accord and when I got it back they had removed the VIN from the dash. Anyone know what you have to do to get a new VIN plate?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

That sucks. I would start with a call to the dealer.

Drive til the wheels fall off.......

Good luck Justin, I'm surprised you got it back.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

+1 on the dealer.

You DO need to get it replaced. Otherwise every time you get stopped for a ticket you will get harassed. Cops make it a habit of glancing up at the VIN tag to see if it's messed up/altered/missing.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

In other words, somebody is going to sell a junk title vehicle with your VIN plate on it.

You may want to ask the DOT what to do, as well as ask them if there is a way to get the VIN listed as stolen on the CAR FAX info.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I have contacted Honda USA and they said they are no longer allowed to re-issue VIN plates. They suggested I go through the DMV to try to obtain one. The DMV told me to bring the car to any local branch with the title for inspection and they will put a sticker in the door jamb verrifying the VIN. They said they could not re-issue me a VIN plate and to contact Honda.

I would be more than willing to bet my VIN plate is in the trash as I don't think the thief would want to get caught with it. They found my car with the VIN plate from another Honda and the occupants were trying to pass it off as theirs. Long story short they were arrested and I got the car back with no VIN plate or tags. Other than one minor ding the car is pretty much the same as when the stole it. Oh they did put some big dumb 18" wheels on it

The cops called me to ask if these persons had my permission to drive my car. Hmmm yeah that would be why I reported it stolen. They also only charged them with vehicle trespass...WTF? They were not even in jail for a day and they were caught IN a STOLEN car!!!

So what constitutes Grand Theft Auto???

Guess it's just a name of a game now.

Unless the police can prove that they actually stole the car and not someone else, then they can only be charged as they were. It sucks but that is how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Unless the police can prove that they actually stole the car and not someone else, then they can only be charged as they were. It sucks but that is how it is.
    I would think that swapping out a VIN plate would prety much be a dead give away that they stoled it. That is, unless they were the unsuspecting purchaser of the car that somebody else change the VIN plate on it.

BTW That's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    Oh they did put some big dumb 18" wheels on it
    TTIWWP

Let's see them!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The part that kills me is that if they said that they bought it from Joe Shmo then they should be able to produce a bill of sale. If not lock their ass up! The way I see it is the Police get the $$ from the fine, the theives get off scott free and I got