Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission popping out of 5th

Default Transmission popping out of 5th

This is a new development.

Just started noticing the transmission will occasionally pop out of fifth. I just had that nylon grommit issue and of course I just changed me transmission fluid. I was using Redline (MTL or MT90? Don't remember). and am still using Redline (MTL)

Everything I'm reading suggests a rebuilt or new tranny. If this is the case, how long can I drive the car this way? Also, how much do used 5spds go for?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

A search on http://car-part.com shows 15 or so available locally with Prices ranging from $250 to $600. They show up on Miata.net pretty regularly in the $150-350 range. Parts Group often has them for around $350. But first, you should call Merv and CM. I believe they both have spares laying around.

Eeek! Did you ever find the old plastic grommit?
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I'm thinking he just did.

The spare I have is in the car... It needs the TSB done on it for sticking in reverse... It's never gotten stuck in reverse but sometimes you have to pop it with your hand to get it out of that gear.

Price is cheap... you can have it for helping me swap out engines/trans

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post

...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    The spare I have is in the car... It needs the TSB done on it for sticking in reverse... It's never gotten stuck in reverse but sometimes you have to pop it with your hand to get it out of that gear.

Price is cheap... you can have it for helping me swap out engines/trans

RJ

Very generous! Seriously. Perchance we can arrange you engine and my tranny swap? What's involved in the TSB? My car is a 95. Are the tranny's the same for all NAs?
    ...and across the line.

All the 5 speeds are the same.

http://www.miata.net/garage/stuckreverse.html

Although after reading this I'm wondering if it's more of a bad reverse switch than anything else. It's just hard to get out of reverse at times. You pop it with your palm and it comes right out. It's never gotten stuck to the point where the shifter just wobbles around doing nothing.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Sounds like that "lost" nylon bushing is wedge somewhere in the shift mechanism.

Suck all the old fluid out of there and dig around and you'll find it.

I had the same problem and found my "lost" nylon bushing all mangled up effecting the way the gate was working.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    This is a new development.

Just started noticing the transmission will occasionally pop out of fifth. I just had that nylon grommit issue and of course I just changed me transmission fluid. I was using Redline (MTL or MT90? Don't remember). and am still using Redline (MTL)

Everything I'm reading suggests a rebuilt or new tranny. If this is the case, how long can I drive the car this way? Also, how much do used 5spds go for?

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    All the 5 speeds are the same.

http://www.miata.net/garage/stuckreverse.html

Although after reading this I'm wondering if it's more of a bad reverse switch than anything else. It's just hard to get out of reverse at times. You pop it with your palm and it comes right out. It's never gotten stuck to the point where the shifter just wobbles around doing nothing.

Raymond
    Ya, it sounds like you may be having a slightly different problem than what is in that link. I have had the problem in the link twice before with my 90, which would have the early inferior 5-R rod and reverse switch. With that problem you cannot get the tranny back in gear by popping it with your hand...the shifter can get forced into neutral if not already there but is still in either 5 or reverse.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Sounds like that "lost" nylon bushing is wedge somewhere in the shift mechanism.

I had the same problem and found my "lost" nylon bushing all mangled up effecting the way the gate was working.
    I think we have a winner...

The shifting turret is a seperate part and would keep the nylon bushing from getting into the transmision.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post

Good suggestion. When I lost the first bushing, I did just as you said and found nothing. I suppose I can try again. I agree that is the most obvious problem.

It isn't a very big area so I can't imagine where it went.
    ...and across the line.

Good suggestion. When I lost the first bushing, I did just as you said and found nothing. I suppose I can try again. I agree that is the most obvious problem.

It isn't a very big area so I can't imagine where it went.
    If it is popping out of 5th, I would start by looking really hard at the front right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    If it is popping out of 5th, I would start by looking really hard at the front right corner.
    Back Left Corner. Stick is opposite of the shifter fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Doh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure how the Miata trannys are setup.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Ding ding ding! We have a winnah!

I had to dig deep but the old nylon bushing was found in shift turret. I actually found it in the right rear corner but a bit closer to center. Not surprisingly it's all buggered up.

Thanks to all for the assistance and CM for the generous offer. Special thanks to 2K Miata. I owe you a beverage of your choice at Hallet Mike.
    ...and across the line.

Ding ding ding! We have a winnah!

I had to dig deep but the old nylon bushing was found in shift turret. I actually found it in the right rear corner but a bit closer to center. Not surprisingly it's all buggered up.
    Were you able to get it from the top or did you take off the side plate?
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast