Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Tall, Part II (or New Dog, Old Tricks)

Default Too Tall, Part II (or New Dog, Old Tricks)

I checked out the new 'No Brainer' Hard Dog bar that Craig pointed me to. Sounds good so far, but I wanted to really check it out. I got the measurements for the cross bars and used a C-stand to hold some broom handles in the appropriate places. It is better than anything else I've seen, but is it good enough? Plus, this has raised other questions that I now humbly set before you all-knowing Miata gurus!

Here are two pictures with me sitting in the car with the seat back in my normal position (I'm in normal driving position in the first and leaned back against the headrest in the second). Keep in mind that I could tilt the seat up a little to get an extra inch or two more. The blue dot represents the top bar (I added the dot so it was easier to see than the stick end). The green is where I could put a harness bar.

Still a bit close, but better. What do you guys think?

I thought about adding the harness bar at about that height for the main reason that the seat would hit it first (or start at rest against it) and, in theory, flex less (although it will compress). This might work as a buffer, keeping the upper part from hitting the top bar, or at least slowing the impact. Obviously padding will still be used!

Merv mentioned lowering the seat, but looking at where my head sits, I don't know that I could lower the seat enough to make enough of a difference.

Now here's another question raised by looking at this (I know, but humor me, I'm new to the whole roll bar thing ). Look at how much higher my head is than the bar. In a flip over, is this going to do anything at all for me? Is this entire debate just a waste of time for someone as tall as myself? I'd like the additional measure of safety, but if it really won't do anything in a wreck, I could spend the $$ elsewhere...

Sorry this is so long. As pricey as these things are, I want to make sure I do this right the first time! Thanks !!

Dang that looks really short to me........ Add a helmet and you way above the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    Now here's another question raised by looking at this (I know, but humor me, I'm new to the whole roll bar thing ). Look at how much higher my head is than the bar. In a flip over, is this going to do anything at all for me? Is this entire debate just a waste of time for someone as tall as myself? I'd like the additional measure of safety, but if it really won't do anything in a wreck, I could spend the $$ elsewhere...
    A lot of Miatas without rollbars have rolled over without serious injury to the driver. As I understand it, this is because your body doesn't stay upright during the roll... it falls to the side. I think the danger would come when you add a harness that holds you upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Is there a LInKiE available?
    Not as such...
    Here is the board post with measurements (inside the seatbelt towers, 29 in from the windshield top, 17.5 in up from the deck carpet.
    Here are some pics of the unit, unpainted and not bolted in.

As a side, the photos may be a little deceiving due to perspective. Taking a yardstick and setting it on the top of the windshield and the top of where the roll bar would be, the yardstick hits my head about 1 inch down. It looks like there's more than one inch of my head above the bar. So there's a reference point, if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    A lot of Miatas without rollbars have rolled over without serious injury to the driver. As I understand it, this is because your body doesn't stay upright during the roll... it falls to the side. I think the danger would come when you add a harness that holds you upright.
    No plans for a harness. Your body not staying upright makes sense and is pretty much what I thought, but I'm happy to say I don't have any first hand experience with this sort of thing!

Harddog Sport in a Miata with the surfboard seats, don't see much difference in the height from what you show??? Is the new 'No Brainer' positioned farther back than the HD sport??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You have to remember the soft/hard top is going to be the main limiting factor on any Miata roll-bar. The M2 Sport is right at max. height in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post

Harddog Sport in a Miata with the surfboard seats, don't see much difference in the height from what you show??? Is the new 'No Brainer' positioned farther back than the HD sport??
    You have to remember the soft/hard top is going to be the main limiting factor on any Miata roll-bar. The M2 Sport is right at max. height in that regard.
    My understanding is yes, it is farther back. It also mounts inside the seatbelt towers. This makes it a little narrower and more behind the seat. Thus less likely to bang your head on the side post as well.

As Samm mentions, the tops are the limiting factors. As you go back, you have to go shorter to stay under the top. Looking at POS's picture, the passenger seat looks like it is reclined more like I have my driver's. Looking at that, the Sport does sit higher. When I sat in a car with the Sport, I was using the bar as a headrest.
    Last edited by Monkey of Death; 11-02-2006 at 02:30 PM. Reason: to make more sense!

I am getting one of these installed on Tuesday next week by Tom and crew. It is designed off of the deuce but sits .5 to 1 inch higher than the deuce does.

For perspective.

With the added .5 or 1 inch I should be ok as I sit lower in the seat that it appears you do despite being 6'3". With a helmet after SFI padding I should be able to fit.

...crosses fingers...

Don't try this at home!

Linky #1!

Linky #2!

No-Brainer????? Inside the seatbelt towers is NOT good. The vertical is almost dead center on your head, not even considering the violence of your head in a rollover. If, in fact, the bar is further back, it has to be lower, as the convertible top tapers down as it goes back.

I see no reason to put a roll bar in the car if 1) you're not going to autocross or do track events, 2) you can't get BELOW the bar. It just won't give you the protection to warrant it. Now if you want to use a hardtop full time, you can gain about two inches, but then why would you want a Miata? I still say lower the seat. The tall guys used to cut some of the foam out of the seat base. Most racers use a seat bolted directly to the floor. I can hardly see over the steering wheel in my SM, but I'm only 5'9"!

Don't try this at home!

Linky #1!

Linky #2!

It appears a rollbar would do very little to save you unless you were well below the rollbar with a helmet and snugged in with a tight harness.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    It appears a rollbar would do very little to save you unless you were well below the rollbar with a helmet and snugged in with a tight harness.
    I'm thinking arm restraints would be a must have also.

I'm thinking arm restraints would be a must have also.
    I never have understood how they can design a dummy that can tell you about every little force it experiences, but they can't get it to hold onto the wheel.
    I've been in a violent multi roll crash, and I had no problem holding onto the steering wheel. And maybe if the dummies could they’d know not to put the airbag exhaust vents nest to your wrists!

I'm 6'1" and I have no problem with the HDHC bar, even with my helmet on.
    Of course, I do have Sparco seats.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Don't try this at home!

Linky #1!

Linky #2!
    That will not help car sales.

That also does not take into account possibility of the roll bar digging into the dirt or bending in some direction. Seem like just a hard top would provide more roll protection on the first or second roll. Assuming a symmetrical roll. The car crashes I have seen on tracks (videos) are not so perfect and a lot faster.

But looking at the pictures you posted it seems your head is way above the roll hoop.

Some days it is nice to be short in height.

Couple of comments...
    MadMerv: Inside the seatbelt towers is NOT good. The vertical is almost dead center on your head
    It's actually a bit to the side .
    Seriously, if it were more centered on the seat, wouldn't the seat hit it and come to rest against it, keeping you from going into, or under, the bar and using the seat as cushioning? Just curious...

MadMerv also makes a good point about it not really being worthwhile unless you can get under the bar. I may need to check into lowering options before buying. I'm about 1 inch above, and the bar is 1.75 tall, so I'd have to drop at least three inches, and that would still be cutting it close. The sucky part about that is by waiting I loose the intro discount. 'Course I also don't end up with a bar that's no use to me. Damn, being tall is usually a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    That will not help car sales.

That also does not take into account possibility of the roll bar digging into the dirt or bending in some direction. Seem like just a hard top would provide more roll protection on the first or second roll. Assuming a symmetrical roll. The car crashes I have seen on tracks (videos) are not so perfect and a lot faster.

But looking at the pictures you posted it seems your head is way above the roll hoop.

Some days it is nice to be short in height.
    Have you seen how they do that test? It's not exactly a real world kind of condition. Also, just because your head comes in contact with the ground doesn't mean it's going to kill or seriously injure you. Not that I want to try it.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    Also, just because your head comes in contact with the ground doesn't mean it's going to kill or seriously injure you. Not that I want to try it.
    Yep... I have read 2 threads on the pointy board from people that rolled there car. One was with a rollbar, one was without. Both had head abrasions, but both walked away. That is not to say that the rollbar is useless, as anecdotal evidence implies it has prevented death in some cases (More than one report of rollover death with out a bar, no reports of rollover death with a bar).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast