Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mania?

Default Mini Mania?

Sort of gotten the bug about getting a Mini. Anybody know much about the difference of model years? Probably going to use it as a commuter car and daily driver as I am looking to move out towards MSR. And as usual I will want to be able to track it every once in a while. Any thoughts
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

There's a member on the forum, mvalant , he's a Mini owner. You might shoot him an email or PM (I'm not sure how often he visits).

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    Sort of gotten the bug about getting a Mini. Anybody know much about the difference of model years? Probably going to use it as a commuter car and daily driver as I am looking to move out towards MSR. And as usual I will want to be able to track it every once in a while. Any thoughts
    If you're looking to keep it stock, I'd recommend an '05+ Cooper S with the optional limited slip diff. '05+ Coopers Ss got revised (shorter) gear ratios in 1st through 3rd and the optional diff, which wasn't available on '03 & '04 cars.

Either that, or find a used John Cooper Works car with the upgraded supercharger good for 200hp.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    There's a member on the forum, mvalant , he's a Mini owner. You might shoot him an email or PM (I'm not sure how often he visits).
    Doesn't Madmerv also have a mini in his collection??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Doesn't Madmerv also have a mini in his collection??
    Yeah... I think he bought one for his wife last year.

Wait for the 2007s, which are all new and should be hitting showrooms shortly. BMW/Peugeot turbo replaces the S/C Brazilian Chrysler lump, updated chassis, interior, exterior, etc.

Or just buy a Civic Si and save a boatload of cash.

S.

The Lone Star Region (Houston) of the Porsche Club of America has banned them from DEs. Here's some details...

There were a number of roll-over accidents at turn 7 at TWS. In the more serious cases, the doors came open. I personally witnessed a case where the Mini rolled three times, landing upright but seriously damaged. The car bounced on the driver's side during each revolution. On the first bounce the driver's door opened. On the second bounce the door was folded in half. The driver had serious injuries to his left hand.

There was also some anecdotal evidence of the door coming open in roll-over incidents in a couple of pro races.

From the lsrpca web page:

The currently prohibited cars include:
    Open Wheel Cars
    Cars with only one seat in the Green and Blue Run Group
    Convertibles without a proper roll bar installed.
    Mini Coopers
    Any vehicle deemed “unsafe” by the LSR Officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    From the lsrpca web page:

The currently prohibited cars include:
    Open Wheel Cars
    Cars with only one seat in the Green and Blue Run Group
    Convertibles without a proper roll bar installed.
    Mini Coopers
    Any vehicle deemed “unsafe” by the LSR Officials.
    Holy cow! They don't seem like they'd be roll-prone. Does anyone have any hypotheses into what's causing this?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Holy cow! They don't seem like they'd be roll-prone. Does anyone have any hypotheses into what's causing this?

S.
    Physics!!!

I've chased a few out at MSR and they seemed very stable. They might have had mod. suspension. And they had no roll cage which might move the center of gravity higher.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

S.
    I don't think anyone had a good explanation and it came down to speculation. But none the less, there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    Physics!!!
    No! Next thing you know you're going to mention gravity, too!

S.

No! Next thing you know you're going to mention gravity, too!

S.
    well, then maybe we shouldn't mention coefficients of friction and what not either...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    well, then maybe we shouldn't mention coefficients of friction and what not either...

Not listening...

What I wonder is: why a Mini and not an RSX, for example.

S.

Not listening...

What I wonder is: why a Mini and not an RSX, for example.

S.

I drove one right after I bought my car last year. They realy have quite a bit of stability. My friend also owns a BMW Z3 as well as the 2005 Mini Cooper S. I didn't feel the least bit of any roll over when he whiped it around in a bat mobile manuever and a E-brake turn around in a wide open concrete parking lot. It was one fun ride.

I asked the Mini of Dallas guy when the 2007 models are coming out and he said it would be in February. The Convertibles will still be the 2006 model until later. I did read that there is another mod out there that is done by a reknowned BMW tuner company that is a lot easier to install than the JCW package and costs about $4500 for parts. The power output is the same as JCW package. I think the name of the company is Dinan.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Picture of one of the crashed ones on the Mini Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Picture of one of the crashed ones on the Mini Forum.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

You would think that a simple roll cage/window net rule would be better than an outright ban.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    You would think that a simple roll cage/window net rule would be better than an outright ban.
    I dont think a window net is going to help when there is no door. I bet the reason why they dont want a roll cage rule is that it still looks bad everytime a car wrecks. If you have a type of car that is rolling often even if it has a roll cage it brings the illusion of danger more and more into DEs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast