Thread: Low Sulfur Diesel

Default Low Sulfur Diesel

I caught the end of a story on the Speed Channel that Honda was planning to offer a Diesel Accord in the US since we are getting Low Sulfur Diesel.

Diesels current intrigue me but I’m wonder what is going to happen to the price of Diesel once they start refining it in the new Lo Sulfur formula? I can’t imagine it would be cheaper….

hmm, i thought that we already had low sulfer diesel? i dont know, the "off road" diesel has alot more sulfer in it though (my dad works for a construction company and delas with that stuff alot. crazy rules regarding that stuff....)
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Low sulfur diesel may be avaiable some place, but as a general rule it's not required until the whole 2007 diesel regs take effect..

expect that year for truck sales to plummet (big trucks) as the new motors, are tons more expensince, make less power etc etc... More diesel cars maybecome available, but they're not going to get any cheaper than they are now..
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Low sulfur diesel may be avaiable some place, but as a general rule it's not required until the whole 2007 diesel regs take effect..

expect that year for truck sales to plummet (big trucks) as the new motors, are tons more expensince, make less power etc etc... More diesel cars maybecome available, but they're not going to get any cheaper than they are now..
    Actually, new motors have no cost differential due to low sulfur. Low sulfur does, however, open up the possibility of effective particulate filters and more effective catalysts that will increase the purchase price of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse

Actually, new motors have no cost differential due to low sulfur. Low sulfur does, however, open up the possibility of effective particulate filters and more effective catalysts that will increase the purchase price of the vehicle.
    I guess I shoudl clarify that... The new regs are for lower emissions. This will require the use of not only low sulfur fuel, but also the use of the "catalytic converters" and the diesel equivalent of most of the stuff gasonline cars saw in 70s.

It's not the fuel itself which will be more expensive, you are correct in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    hmm, i thought that we already had low sulfer diesel? i dont know, the "off road" diesel has alot more sulfer in it though (my dad works for a construction company and delas with that stuff alot. crazy rules regarding that stuff....)
    Actually, we do... The new standard is ULSD (ultra-low)... refining costs as paid at the pump are estimated at between 5-9 cents per gallon.

On the upside, it looks like the diesel power wars are starting to heat up with Toyota bringing a 140-150 hp 1.9l to market shortly - that's a few more ponies per litre than BMW's wicked 3.0l, and the Euro makers are sure to follow with more power.

The BMW 530i and 530d have virtually identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but the 530d gets 35% better mileage and costs only 5% more... At >$3.00/gallon and rising in Europe, it's not a tough choice. It'll be interesting to see what good motors we get over here. For the last 5 years, it's been your choice of a VW 1.9l, a hard to find Mercedes 3.0l or walking...