Thread: Engine Rebuild Time is Near

Default Engine Rebuild Time is Near

As some of you may recall, I replaced the oil pump in my '96 just before Christmas. I was experiencing a variety of symptoms that pointed to the sticky relief valve problem - starting shortly post-Hallett, in October. I opted drop the subframe and just replace the pump - hoping that would be sufficient.

My oil pressure issues are gone, but the engine is making a noise that sounds like a bearing may have suffered the effects of the oil pump problem. RJ and Gary have both opined that it sounds like a rod bearing. Blackstone says the only abnormality in the sample I sent them was high aluminum. I'm concerned that the high aluminum is from the cam journal bearings and wonder if the head is damaged...

The car is still running well, making good power. No oil consumption or leaks. Car has about 83k miles, new oil pump, TB/water pump were done at 66k.

So what next?

Can somebody PM me John Day's contact info?

Thanks,
    Craig
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    So what next?
    Well, you can try rebuilding it or you can try:

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=7851

I'm sure one of the folks around here would buy the transmission if you wanted to sell it off.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Man that sucks. You're looking at close to $1000 for a complete rebuild, possible a tad over that. If the head is fine then you can get the bottom end rebuilt for around $350 through Mr. Day. Great guy btw, went out of his way helping me.

You got mail, John Day's number sent.

*oops, the $350 is for labor only, about another $100-150 for new seals/bearings/etc.
    Last edited by icepenguin66; 01-09-2007 at 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot some info
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

This is a craw in my side, because of John Long's original diagnosis of this car before you bought it. You and I have talked about this, but he knows the car and is a 5 star mazda mechanic. I'd give him another ring for advice.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    This is a craw in my side, because of John Long's original diagnosis of this car before you bought it.
    Story?

When Craig had the oil pump issue it does not take but a minute to begin detoriation in the bearing area. Craig, be smart and don't get too many opinions.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog View Post
    When Craig had the oil pump issue it does not take but a minute to begin detoriation in the bearing area. Craig, be smart and don't get too many opinions.

Gary
    Including Gary's

J/K I ask for the TD opinion way to often
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Default The rest of the story - LONG

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Story?
    PO is from Austin, and early last spring (while he still owned it), the car had an episode or 2 of clatter/low oil pressure for a couple of seconds at startup. John Long looked at the car and said it might be early sign of oil pump failure, or perhaps "crud stuck somewhere" but couldn't reproduce the noise. John's plan to fix it was to pull the engine, replace the oil pump, check everything out - which of course would be expensive. PO drove the car for another month or so - no clatter, no low oil pressure - but the spectre of looming engine repairs led him to trade it in on an RX-8.

I bought the car in May from a dealer in Austin. I found the car to be in great shape. It had the working OPG retrofit, the folding front license plate bracket, an NB windblocker, and Tejas Miata window decals, so I knew it had been an enthusiast's car. I worked out what I thought was an excellent deal on the car. (Perhaps now it was only a decent deal - but I still don't feel like I got totally screwed).

I got on Tejas Miata's forum and discovered the POs posts about clatter, John Long, RX-8's and such. I contacted the PO and learned quite a bit more about the car and its maintenance history. Recent TB/WP, Magnecore wires, upper and lower shift boots, Redline trans and diff fluids, recent rear window - all the stuff you'd want to do to an car with unknown history. He even sent me a box of parts he still had in his garage, including the boot, ashtray, rear cockpit brace, Haynes manual...

Between May and October the car showed the low oil pressure at cold start and accompanying clatter an a handful of occasions, and I almost wrote it all off as lifter clatter or something else. Well, this fall, the problem began to get worse. I spoke to John Long, and his recommendation was the same - replace the oil pump.

Based on my conversation with him and some reading on the pointy board (and the fact that I wasn't paying someone else to do the work) I decided to just replace the pump and see how it goes.

Well - it goes in the direction of a more serious teardown.... I'd prefer to not have to spend $1k on a full rebuild, but I'm also not sure oil pressure problems didn't cause some damage to the head at the cam bearings. As I mentioned - Blackstone found Al in the oil.
    Although rebuilding a Miata engine at 85k isn't common, it's not totally unheard of either. Iain has his redone at 95k, and there are a bunch of examples on the pointy board of people with rod bearing wear requiring a bottom-end rebuild - many due to the oil pump failure on '96 and '97 cars.

So while I'm bummed at the prospect of spending $500 to $1000 on the car without a performance boost, I still have a great Miata. Those of you who have seen the car know it's very clean. The paint and interior look great. It's never been wrecked. It's been reasonably well maintained. I've spent a few hundred on the suspension and I think it handles great. When you drive a 10 year old car, sometimes you have to spend a bit on repairs. Even with the cost of an engine rebuild, I doubt I could end up with a car as nice as mine for what I'll have in it...

As for Sharpie's comments, I believe John was right in his initial diagnosis and he was straight up with me when I contacted him. Had the PO or I replaced the oil pump at the before the problem got worse, I might not have to rebuild the engine. If I were in Austin, I'd likely be having his shop do the rebuild.

Craig
    '96 M-edition

John is great and I'd recommend his shop to anyone. You did get a great car! Stuff happens...... Craig you have the right attitude about it. Good luck getting it fixed quickly.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Craig, I'm sorry to hear about the problems, but I definitely admire your attitude.

I can definitely endorse John Day for your rebuild. He did a good job with my rebuild, his prices were honest, and he completed the work on time.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw