Thread: Roll Bars for Tall People

Default Roll Bars for Tall People

Well, I'm just about in the market for a roll bar for my car. I am 6'1" and I am curious if anyone here is as tall as I am and has a roll bar. Also how far away from your head is the bar and do you have at least 2" clearance from the top of your head to the top of the bar.

In order to make some of the taller drivers fit under their bars, many guys have trimmed some of the seat foam out of thier seats.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I am 6'1" and I am curious if anyone here is as tall as I am...
    6'2"

...and has a roll bar.
    Hard Dog Hard Core Double Diag...

Also how far away from your head is the bar...
    Not very... right on it, in fact.

...and do you have at least 2" clearance from the top of your head to the top of the bar.
    Nope... no-where close. Quite painful when I made sudden stops!

I've heard that but the car is going to be my daily driver. How comfortable is that or is that pretty much the only option. Also, can you get more clearance with a hard top?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    6'2"

Hard Dog Hard Core Double Diag...

Not very... right on it, in fact.

Nope... no-where close. Quite painful when I made sudden stops!
    L0L... Sorry, I don't mean to laugh since that will be me shortly.

L0L... Sorry, I don't mean to laugh since that will be me shortly.
    No biggie... I used to have the bar padded, and that stuff is fairly inexpensive for what it's used for.

I usually don't say this, but...

You might want to do a search, both here and in the track driving section of the pointy board. This subject comes up very often, and there is plenty of info on the subject. FWIW, my writeup on how I dealt with the problem of head clearance is here.

By the way, overall height is not the prime determinant of how high you'll sit in the car. Torso length is more important. For example, a good friend of mine who is 6'2" with a 36" inseam sits quite a bit lower in the car than I do at 5'11" with a 30" inseam.

Hope this helps,
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm sure there are exceptions, but at 6'2", I'd say you will not find a bar that you can get 2" under with the stock seat AND won't be RIGHT behind your head. I'm about 6' with a 33" inseam and in anything resembling my normal driving position, I haven't seen a bar yet besides the Hard Dog Deuce (and presumably the new ACE) that I'm comfortable won't knock me silly if I were to be rear-ended.

That said, roll bars are plentiful in this crowd, I'm sure you could try out most anything you're interested in.

Good luck,
    Craig
    '96 M-edition

You're more than welcome to come to Frisco anytime and take a sit in the BUR...
    I'll have to take you up on that offer once I get my car back.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I usually don't say this, but...

You might want to do a search, both here and in the track driving section of the pointy board. This subject comes up very often, and there is plenty of info on the subject. FWIW, my writeup on how I dealt with the problem of head clearance is here.

By the way, overall height is not the prime determinant of how high you'll sit in the car. Torso length is more important. For example, a good friend of mine who is 6'2" with a 36" inseam sits quite a bit lower in the car than I do at 5'11" with a 30" inseam.

Hope this helps,
    That was an interesting read. That will give me something to think about.

BTW Nice car riminds me of my Emerald Green '99 (I wish i still had it)
    Last edited by MiataMike; 01-12-2007 at 08:35 PM.

'94, 6'1 with 33" inseam, hard core double diagonal, removed about 75% of seat bottom cushion. It got my hair off the roof, but I have to sit quite upright to keep my head away from the bar. The only way to get 2" below the bar (with helmet) is probably a race seat bolted straight to the floor for me. If the 2 inch rule is less important, but you want equally heavy duty, sit in a car with a hard core hard top. Wednesday nights usually offer a myriad of bars to sit under. Show up next week and see what fits.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

I betcha altiain wishes he still had his too!
    Yeah, I miss that car. I'll own another Miata someday. Hopefully once the '8 is paid off.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Yeah, I miss that car. I'll own another Miata someday. Hopefully once the '8 is paid off.

It's now called the MX-5
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

What about the Boss Frog double hoop bar? Says it has max height and looks like it. Check the pointy board for in car measurements.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    What about the Boss Frog double hoop bar? Says it has max height and looks like it. Check the pointy board for in car measurements.
    I've been thinking about boss frog dbl hoop as well. I like the looks of it I just wonder if it is everything they say it is.

I've been thinking about boss frog dbl hoop as well. I like the looks of it I just wonder if it is everything they say it is.
    I've seen a few in person and love it. Haven't heard anything bad about it yet, other than the absurd price for polished/chrome on any bar!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...