Thread: Comparing an NA vs. an NB

Oil Changer

Default Comparing an NA vs. an NB

Please don't beat me up too badly on this question, I know it must have been discussed many times, but I just can't seem to come up with it on the search. As I look for a Miata I want a '94 to '97 NA, but I am seeing a lot of 1999 & 2000 NB's with lower mileage at reasonable prices. How different were they? Are the NB's as dependable and durable? I know they are heavier, but would an NB still be a fun autocross car? I have heard about the clutch shudder, was that only in 2001?

Thanks for your patience.
    rickdm

Holy crap, they made Miatas after 97?? Oh wait, those were the fake Miatas

*puts flame suit on*
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What's the old saying...the NA is a better Miata, the NB is a better car.

I've had both and it's true. NA is more of a true roadster. The NB is a bit more refined..not much more, but noticeably so.

Your going to get a lot of varying information on this question.

I've had 1 NA and now have 2 NBs, they have all been great cars! Clutch shudder started in '01 ran into '03 on some cars. Our '02 has the shudder not as bad as some would have you believe, its a occasional thing, we never have had it fixed. Ya also may want to read up on the #4 issue with the '99-'00 cars. I got a '99 that measures OK.

My NA was a tank it was a '92 sold it to ALL88 here on the board, I think he sold it around Christmas.

As far as AX cars go I like my '99 better than the '92. But the '99 was set up for AX by someone who knew what they were doing!

IMO, it's what you prefer. I personally like the look of the NA, after doing the low pro headlights of course. Even more I think I like the 1.6 dash better than the 1.8 NA dash! I have to be wrong on this but the 2000 I drove seemed to have less leg room and I didn't prefer the seat. Again all personal preference for the most part. Like said above, the NB is a newer car so will have more power, better factory chassis bracing, etc. There are a few notible differences such as going from a 1.6 to the 1.8 in 94 or the MazdaSpeed factory turbo.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Oil Changer

So from what I can see the NB is; not much bigger, a little heavier, a little more power, more comfortable, a little less nimble, and has a couple more problems. I guess I need to drive both to really feel the difference.

Thanks,
    rickdm

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm View Post
    not much bigger, more comfortable,
    I think my '92 had more legroom than my '99, and the seats in the '92 were definately more comfortable IMHO.

I went with a 1.8 NA for a few reasons. First, I like the looks a LOT better - the NB cars just look slightly "off" to me, and they lost some of the NA character when they switched to generic-looking parts (door handles, headlights). Second, the 1.8 is noticeably torquier - I test drove a 1.6 before I got mine and felt a little puny unless you really whipped it up near redline in each gear. Third, as you probably know, with the 1.8 came bigger brakes and some extra bracing.

Having said that, I rode in NA and NB cars back to back a couple of weeks ago, and the NB felt like a whole different animal - very tight, solid, quiet (well, except for the blower whine). It was missing that "raw" feel that the NA cars have. And by "raw" I mean: a little bit noisy and rough around the edges.

So, yeah, the NA is a better Miata, and the NB is probably a better car... I wouldn't trade mine for an NB!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

So from what I can see the NB is; not much bigger, a little heavier...
    This is a common misconception, but it is not actually true. If you take a '99 that is identically optioned to a '97, the '99 will actually be lighter. Revisions to the chassis, along with the change from heavy pop-up hgeadlights to lightweight fixed units meant that a comparable '99 was actually a few pounds lighter than its predecessor.

... a little more power...
    True. They also had a numerically higher rear-end ratio that quickened acceleration slightly.

...more comfortable...
    Most people actually prefer the earlier cars for comfort. The NB cockpit is slightly tighter than the NA, and the '99-'00 seats are universally considered the least comfortable OEM seats. Thankfully, seats form all years are a direct replacement, and readily available at junkyards. I had NA seats in my '99 for awhile.

That said, the NB chassis is stiffer than an NA, so if fewer squeaks and rattles contribute to your sense of comfort, you might prefer the NB.

...a little less nimble...
    Definitely not true. When the NB arrived, it ran in the same classes as the NA both in club racing and autocrossing. In both instances, the high performance version of the NB (the Sport Package) utterly dominated the old R Package NAs. '99 Sports dominated their SCCA Stock autocross class from 1998 through 2005, and they won their Showroom Stock racing class from 1998 through 2004, iirc. Out of the box, the NB is a more capable car, and subtle revisions to the suspension geometry make it a better performer when modified, as well.

...and has a couple more problems.
    That depends. While there is one major concern to be aware of on the '99/'00 cars (the #4 issue), a competent pre-purchase inspection can definitively tell you if the car you're looking at will ever develop the problem. If it is in spec at purchase time, it is very, very unlikely that you'll ever experience any problems.

I guess I need to drive both to really feel the difference.
    Yep. They are definitely different animals. They are similar enough that one is not a substantially smarter buy than the other, so drive 'em both and decide which one you prefer. I'm partial to the NB, but there are plenty of others who prefer the NA!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

After considering a Miata purchase for years, and renting several, I was sure I wanted an NB. It seemed like a "nicer" car - probably fewer rattles, arguably more modern interior, and the lack of the pop-up "barn doors" was a plus. I finally decided to go ahead and pull the trigger last year. I wanted to pay cash for the car, so NBs were pretty much out of the budget.

I ended up with a '96 (1.8L NA) and I love it. I'm still not crazy about the headlights (though I don't care enough to spend $500 on low-pros) but otherwise I've decided I like the exterior styling better than the NB. I find the interior very comfortable - and roomier than the NBs I've been in since my purchase.

As for weight/performance - I don't really think there's that much difference. Sure one may be a bit lighter or handle a bit better out of the box, but it won't make a lick of difference driving around Dallas. If you're a good enough autocrosser that it matters, you probably already know what you want. The NB suspension is a bit better - more rear shock travel, but new bump stops (and perhaps shock mounts) will cure that. Anything you buy will likely need shocks anyway - the factory ones give out pretty early - so you'll be able to set either one up the way you want it.

Both are a blast to drive and relatively cheap to own and maintain. Almost every year has its quirks and reliability issues, but in general these cars are very reliable. Someone already mentioned the #4 issue in the '99 - '00 cars and the clutch shudder in the '01-'03 cars. I'd add the oil pump failures in the '96 & '97 cars (ask me how I know), and the ever popular short-nose crank failures in the '90 & '91s.

Which might make the '94-'95 cars a "best bet" - I like the 1.8L better, no oil pump issues, it's an NA, should be cheaper than an NB, etc. But if you decide on a budget, shop around, and buy the nicest example you can find for your money - you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Craig
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    What's the old saying...the NA is a better Miata, the NB is a better car.

I've had both and it's true. NA is more of a true roadster. The NB is a bit more refined..not much more, but noticeably so.

+ eleventybillion
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Oil Changer

Guys, thank you for the insights. That was very helpful. I think I will keep looking for an NA, but if the right NB, at the right price comes along I may have to jump on it.

rickdm

Guys, thank you for the insights. That was very helpful. I think I will keep looking for an NA, but if the right NB, at the right price comes along I may have to jump on it.

rickdm
    Yes, jump on it. Jump on it like a fat man on the last cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Yes, jump on it. Jump on it like a fat man on the last cookie.
    HEY!

Don't talk about POS like that!

<channelmaniac ducks!>
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    HEY!

Don't talk about POS like that!

<channelmaniac ducks!>