Thread: Broken Down

Default Broken Down

Well the MPV stranded us. (sort of)

We took a trip up to see Trina's family in Wichita Falls today. We were 10 miles south of town when the MPV just started reving as if it was out of gear.

We pulled over and tried it again but same results. We found out we could drive fine if we left it in 3rd albeit with higher RPMs so we got the van to the local Mazda dealer that was 10 minutes away. We also got a CEL.

Service was closed but we called Mazda Roadside Assistance. They couldn't do anything about getting us a rental car. However, my bro-in-law knew the sales manager at the GM side of the dealership and he took care of us.

He gave my mother-in-law a demo 2007 Impala so we could take her car home. He couldn't let his car leave the city limits. The van is at Herb Easley Mazda in Wichita Falls waiting until Monday for them to look at it. I'm guessing the transmission is broken.

We had no warning of this. The tranny sometimes shifted a bit hard but nothing that caused concern at the time. The van was purchased Dec 05 and has 20k miles on it so warranty should take care of it. Still a royal PITA.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Doh, that sux
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

That stinks At least it still has a warranty
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

How often do you service the transmission?

Also, if you have a bad solenoid in there they will still end up selling you a rebuild job. I've only found one transmission shop EVER that will replace a solenoid without trying to stick you for a rebuild job. Lewisville Transmission.

Fat lot of good that does you when it's stuck way out of town though.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    How often do you service the transmission?

Also, if you have a bad solenoid in there they will still end up selling you a rebuild job. I've only found one transmission shop EVER that will replace a solenoid without trying to stick you for a rebuild job. Lewisville Transmission.

Fat lot of good that does you when it's stuck way out of town though.

RJ
    It has 20k miles on it! No service done yet to the tranny. As far as your other comments. They are about as clear to me as the Cyrillic Alphabet.

I know nothing about transmissions, especially automatic ones. I honestly don't care how the dealer fixes it as long as it's fixed and covered by the warranty.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    It has 20k miles on it! No service done yet to the tranny. As far as your other comments. They are about as clear to me as the Cyrillic Alphabet.

I know nothing about transmissions, especially automatic ones. I honestly don't care how the dealer fixes it as long as it's fixed and covered by the warranty.
    The thing's probably not even DUE for a service till at least 50K miles. So unless you've been pouring sand in it and doing neutral drops just for fun, I don't see why Mazda would give you any hassle about the warranty on the tranny.

Still... it IS a huge PITA...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Yikes, guess I better get my fluid changed. I'm up to 94k on our MPV. Keep me posted on what it was.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

The dealer had a MPV with the same problem recently.

They ordered a new throttle position sensor and gear selection sensor.

Parts will be in tomorrow so hopefully we'll have good news. Unfortunately, we can't get back up to Wichita Falls until the weekend.
    ...and across the line.