Thread: Spark Plugs

Default Spark Plugs

I was going to order a set of plugs for the POS on the Mazdaspeed fast moving catalog they show two different part numbers for a '92.

BP03-18-110 - BKR6E-11, STD
    BP01-18-110 - BKR5E-11, Hot Type

So what would be the advantage or disadvantage of the Hot Type??

I found this on NGK's Website.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

never mind
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Are they the infamous $19 each racing plugs? You might check the price column
    I did they are both $3.00 each!

Quote Originally Posted by from NGK
    Let's make this really simple: when you need your engine to run a little cooler, run a colder plug. When you need your engine to run a little hotter, run a hotter spark plug. However, NGK strongly cautions people that going to a hotter spark plug can sometimes mask a serious symptom of another problem that can lead to engine damage. Be very careful with heat ranges. Seek professional guidance if you are unsure.
    That pretty much covers it!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Let's make this really simple: when you need your engine to run a little cooler, run a colder plug. When you need your engine to run a little hotter, run a hotter spark plug. However, NGK strongly cautions people that going to a hotter spark plug can sometimes mask a serious symptom of another problem that can lead to engine damage. Be very careful with heat ranges. Seek professional guidance if you are unsure.
    Where can I get professional guidance?

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Where can I get professional guidance?
    There are pros here?

This is great?
    The red/black MIATA got magnacore 8.5 wires and 6E done thsi week. one more thing to through into the mix on sunday. The old plugs were 5E and Blue ngk wires, plugs were very Black
    Hummmmm?
    one ninty two for events
    and one for the street

The difference in the plugs is quite simple.

The lower the number, the LONGER the distance between the tip of the center electrode and the base of the ceramic insulator.

Contact between the ceramic insulator and the steel body of the plug causes heat to be conducted away from the tip and out to the head where the heat can be removed by the cooling system.

What we're really looking at here is: How hot do you want the tip to stay during normal running conditions.

Let's say that you lived in Toronto and you only use the Miata for commuting in heavy traffic. Lots of low engine speeds and moderate acceleration. If you pulled the plugs after 5k miles, you'd have black sooty plugs that might tend to misfire. In this case, you might want to go from a "6" all the way down to a "4" so that the tip stays hot enough to burn off carbon deposits.

Conversely, if it's an open track car only, with heavy accleration and lots of high rpm use, you might find that the "6" induces a bit of preignition after the 2nd or 3rd lap. Pulling the plugs might show some signs of plug overheating and damage because the tip is getting (and staying) too hot under these conditions. Thus, you might want to go up to an "8".

Does that make sense?

One of my motorcycle race engines ran a CR of about 13.5 to 1. We constantly ran it between 9,000 and 12.500 rpm. We had to go up 4 steps on the plugs before it stopped melting them.

I hope this was the answer you were looking for.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.