Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Prep Tech Day Sunday 2/18 @ 10 AM

Default Race Prep Tech Day Sunday 2/18 @ 10 AM

I am hosting a tech day at my house in NE Fort Worth (near Northeast Mall) on Sunday 2/18 at 10 AM for anyone that wants to prep their cars for autocross racing. For those new to AX, your car must pass tech inspection, so if you think you might fail or are otherwise questionable, bring it by and we can take a look. You just have to help with every one else's car.

Madmonkey, this is for you, so bring your battery kit and I guess we'll have to think of some way to mount your intake. Because of your work schedule, feel free to show up at 11 AM, if needed.

PM me for my addy. See you Sunday.

Jerrett

Y'all have fun. I'll be a little ways up the road in Bedford teaching at the PCA autox school.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'll be there! Don't worry, I'll remember your address. It's right past the hobby shop I go to all the time
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Hey MonkeyNutz...

When you come by tomorrow for the seat belts I have a piece of bar stock you can have. You should be able to bend it with a vise & hammer to whatever shape you want then drill holes for mounting that loose intake.

It's the same stuff I used when I made the mounts for my air horns. 1 1/4" x 1/8" zinc plated steel. The piece that is left is about 16 to 18" long. Should be enough to fabricate a mount with.

Did you keep your bolts for mounting the intake box?

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Hey MonkeyNutz...

When you come by tomorrow for the seat belts I have a piece of bar stock you can have. You should be able to bend it with a vise & hammer to whatever shape you want then drill holes for mounting that loose intake.

It's the same stuff I used when I made the mounts for my air horns. 1 1/4" x 1/8" zinc plated steel. The piece that is left is about 16 to 18" long. Should be enough to fabricate a mount with.

Did you keep your bolts for mounting the intake box?

RJ
    Cool, works for me. The intake had already been modified when I bought the car so I don't have any of the bolts. What, you think I would have made such a silly intake if it hadn't been necessary?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

doubt theres much you can do to a stock 02 SE to make it fast on the track but if you know any tricks I'll stop by

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    doubt theres much you can do to a stock 02 SE to make it fast on the track but if you know any tricks I'll stop by
    Learn to drive
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Madmonkey is right -- driving comes first. This tech day is just to give your car a once-over to see if there is anything that would send you home on race day without you even getting on the track. As Altiain said, they do send people home on occasion. Mineral Wells is a long way, so you don't want to go for nothing.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

I'll swing by if I'm not working, whats the address?

Update on me - My battery hold-down was shipped today and should arrive on the 15th. Luckily. I'm going to go ahead and pick up a new battery connector too since the negative side is screwed up. That should cover everything I need after I pick up the bar stock to fix the intake (from Channelmaniac).
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Think they would let me on the track in the CJ. It's got a better cage and harness then most people do.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Think they would let me on the track in the CJ. It's got a better cage and harness then most people do.
    Not likely for the following reasons:

1. There will be no bolders to dominate, there will be no swamps to cross, and the owners prefer we not molest their natural areas

2. Between your CG and overall stability, it would not be safe to AX this vehicle*

*I have not seen this actual CJ and am making assumptions based on previous statements made by HudsonHawk. All decisions about vehicle safety will be made during Tech Inspection. I'm just trying to save you a round trip to Mineral Wells in a jacked-up CJ
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    the owners prefer we not molest their natural areas
    Would that be the old couch?

I will try to show up on Sunday. It would be cool to see what is necassary for safety inspection for later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    I'm just trying to save you a round trip to Mineral Wells in a jacked-up CJ
    It's not jacked up. Just a little dented from playing in the rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have autocrossed an early 90s Cherokee. Not too bad, stiff suspension, horrible brakes.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I will try to show up on Sunday. It would be cool to see what is necassary for safety inspection for later down the road.
    Good, because we might need some fabricatin' skills for Madmonkey's car, as the only thing I ever fabricated in my life was a fart.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Good, because we might need some fabricatin' skills for Madmonkey's car, as the only thing I ever fabricated in my life was a fart.
    Got a 220 outlet for a Welder? I can make it fit. NMC

MadMonkey... Take a real close look at the Jeep in the pic and ask yourself.... Do I really want this person to work on my car?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    At least you're an expert at something

MadMonkey... Take a real close look at the Jeep in the pic and ask yourself.... Do I really want this person to work on my car?
    You can hand the tools to the big people
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Got a 220 outlet for a Welder?
    Yeah, 220, 221... whatever it takes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast