Thread: Melted Bumper Skin!

Default Melted Bumper Skin!

The bumper skin around the exhaust tip is melted after autocross today This is the first autocross with my new Enthuza exhaust with a 3 inch tip.

After I install the exhaust I have around 1/4 inch of clearance between the exhaust tip and the bumper skin. I am not sure why the tip get so hot today and melts the bumper skin.

I am planing on taking the exhaust off and triming away the melted area of the skin. Anyone has better suggestion to keep it from melting more of the skin
    Gabriel

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Mine did the same thing. The exhaust moves around a lot and the larger tip hits the skin.

You could trim a bigger hole in the skin, or follow my lead and just ignore it. It will finally make room for itself!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Onething,

If I hear you right, you just let the tip melt away the area that needed for the room between the tip and the skin?
    Gabriel

Mine has bumped it before, and when I put the racing beat midpipe on, it pulled the top to the right. I just used alot of force to move the hangers. (i.e. my foot) There are alot of threads on miata net about how to fasten the muffler with stuff wedged between the tip.
    1thing IIRC we have the same sized enthuza tip. Mine never touched the bumper until I got the mid pipe. You might look at adjusting the position, unless the damage is already done.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Just adds character.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Mine did the same thing. The exhaust moves around a lot and the larger tip hits the skin.

You could trim a bigger hole in the skin, or follow my lead and just ignore it. It will finally make room for itself!
    Yep, that's what mine did. I wouldn't worry too much about it - almost every Miata I've ever seen with an aftermarket exhaust tip has it to some degree.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw