Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SCCA National Tour - Walnut Ridge, AR Apr 28/29

Congrats kids!!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Nice job guys! It looks like Clovis, altiain, POS Racing, and SpinOutF500 are all bringing home trophies!
    Congrats guys. Very well done!

PS
    Great to see Team Cheap Bastard represented at a national event! Thanks altiain!

Actually... those were just the morning times...

Somebody choked in the afternoon runs, but leadfootjon managed to score a trophy.

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...ry-%20Res3.pdf

Hopefully ratfinkel can catch a ride back to Dallas with somebody...
    Last edited by tailchaser; 04-28-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Not snarky enough the first time
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post

Somebody choked in the afternoon runs, but leadfootjon managed to score a trophy.

Doh!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Congratulations to all the Texas Region folks.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Good work, guys!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What Mark52 said:

Good guys, work.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Congrats!

Great job guys!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post

Yeah, whatever. Wanna know how tough B Stock was at the Tour?

• Time from 1st to 3rd (last money spot) in Super Stock: 1.218 seconds
    • Time from 1st to 8th in B Stock: 0.765 seconds.

At least I PAXed in the top 1/4 of the field.

Anyway, I can't blame this weekend's performance on anyone but me. I drove well, but a whole bunch of other people drove really well. I also had a couple of crucial mistakes, like a missed shift on my final run Sunday, that cost me a couple of positions.

Sunday's "Pro" Solo was a bit of a train wreck. They couldn't get the tree working, we didn't get a car off until almost 10am, and we only got four runs. Basically, it was like half of an S2k or BMWCCA event, since each driver did all four runs in quick succession before the 2nd driver went. The only difference was a 275' straight at the start.

B Stock got shafted in the Super Challenge. We had one of the biggest fields for the event, and we had the tightest class all weekend long. The Super Challenge is a single elimination bracket race for the "top" qualifiers... unless your class has a few too many top qualifiers, apparently.

Here's how qualifying works: A class has to have more than five competitors to qualify for the Super Challenge. The winner of a "made" class gets an automatic entry into the Super Challenge. The rest of the bracket is filled with drivers from the "made" classes, based on their time differential from the class winner... with one stupid exception: no more than five drivers can qualify from any one class, regardless of how close they finished to the class leader. So, even though B Stock would have qualified the top eight drivers for the Super Challenge on Sunday based strictly on merit, only the top five were allowed in. So Jeremy and I both drove better than some people that qualified for the Super Challenge, but we were barred from entering solely because we had finished 6th and 7th in class. What a crock of .

All that said, we still had a good time, even though I didn't get the car tucked into the garage until about 1:30 this morning. Congrats to Jon W. for his trophy finishes on both days, to Gary Kramar for a hard fought win in F Mod on Saturday, to David Smart for cleaning up in Super Stock at the Tour, and to Mick Harrison for winning C Stock on both days plus winning the Bonus Challenge!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I wouldn't have cracked on ya if you hadn't been running in the only class that anyone actually showed up for... That and your tire wench pushing you down the stairs by .008...

Really is a sparse results sheet...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Meh. I paid him back by beating him by a whopping .019 on Sunday, so I was ahead for the weekend.

Oh well. I think I may sit this weekend out and get some yard work done, then get my head clear for Houston in three weeks.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Yeah, whatever. Wanna know how tough B Stock was at the Tour?
    ...Mick Harrison for winning C Stock on both days plus winning the Bonus Challenge!
    for Mick
    I guess that National Competitive Car Now has a National Tour winning driver again. Now he does not have to here all the jokes anymore. He has got his Tour and ProSolo Trophy to prove it. Way to go Mick!

B-Stock looks like one tough battle this past weekend. Times were close enough that any one of the 8's could have won. EDJ said he was not fast. Well maybe Hoosiers are fast in Walnut Ridge.

I order new tires so I will be ready for the show down in Houston at the dog track.

Were the courses FUN? How slick was it?

Saturday morning's course was very similar to last year's Tour - a series of big, sweeping offsets out to the turnaround, then a series of fast but tight slaloms coming back. Saturday afternoon we ran it backward (and it flowed better in this direction, imho). The Pro course was basically Saturday morning's course with the first two offsets replaced by a straight. Not bad courses, but not that memorable, either.

The surface was very grippy (especially once there was some rubber down), and very abrasive. Not to mention it got hot enough at the Pro for us to pick up almost a 1/4" thick ribbon of OPR on the inside of the rear tires!
    Iain

I had a great time. Easily the best time I've ever had autocrossing. I finally mind melded with the car for more than one run. And finally got my head in the game on my last run Sat AM. Sitting in 4th. The PM runs came around and I took my first run somewhat cautiously anticipating low grip, but found tons of grip. Knew that I could easily run within in the top 4 or 3 times, and I just blew it with stupid small mistakes. On my last run, I was faster all over the course, but smudged the entry line to a slalom, and I'm sure it cost me that trophy spot. Yet still managed to go a tenth faster so I know the time should've been there. Even with my position in class I felt like I did really well.

The pro was pretty much the same story, lol. Iain described it perfectly. We all drove well, but so did everyone else in the class. And that's what national competition is all about.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

I looked at the timeslips from the Pro. Here are the 60' times:

Jeremy: 2.03, 2.03, 2.19, 2.21
    Iain: 2.27, 2.26, 2.14, 2.24

Looks like I need to work on the launch a bit.

I'm also attaching a zip file of the datalogs form the Pro runs. You can download a free reader from MaxQ here. I still need to sort the data from the Tour, since "Fat Fingers" Foley () had a little trouble starting the logger properly on Saturday. Thankfully, we figured out the autostart function in time for the Pro on Sunday, so there shouldn't be any more issues with generating the data. Runs 000-003 are Jeremy, runs 004-007 are me.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I looked at the timeslips from the Pro. Here are the 60' times:

Jeremy: 2.03, 2.03, 2.19, 2.21
    Iain: 2.27, 2.26, 2.14, 2.24

Looks like I need to work on the launch a bit.

I'm also attaching a zip file of the datalogs form the Pro runs. You can download a free reader from MaxQ here. I still need to sort the data from the Tour, since "Fat Fingers" Foley () had a little trouble starting the logger properly on Saturday. Thankfully, we figured out the autostart function in time for the Pro on Sunday, so there shouldn't be any more issues with generating the data. Runs 000-003 are Jeremy, runs 004-007 are me.
    Sweet deal on the 60' times. I'm in awe that a front engine rwd car on r-comps can hit 2.0 60ft' times. FYI, the last two runs I didn't slip the clutch as much, just barely spun the tires.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123