Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ER Challenge Cup Event #8 10/10/2004

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I just learned that Frank Manisavan (my buddy with the silver WRX) has bought a new canopy, and he's been gracious enough to offer to set uit up near us, since lugnutjon's dumpster diver canopy is getting rattier at every event. In which case, 2002FMIIMiataL, just look for the tent with www.ImprezaGarage.com banners on the side of it.
    That is, if you're blind to the plethora of Miatae surrounding it.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry I missed it guys! I got called around 4am from work and had to work until 7am this morning. I was in no mood after that was over. I went back to bed and slept until 10 or so.

So, how was it?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I missed it too. Church seemed more important.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I went out in the afternoon to watch and hangout... Sounds like they had some rain issues with the 1st heat, but it all cleared up nicely and made for a good day of runs without a ton of cars even!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I went....... chez two-wheeler. I left once the re-setup debacle began for the second time.

I got pretty wet on the way home, but the sad part is that the bike is FILTHY.

Did you guys get at least 3 runs?
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Woohoo! That was fun.

We did have some rain in the morning, and we restarted the event after marking the course and adding some pointer cones due to a bunch of DNFs in the first part of the 1st heat, so although we had cars on course around 10:45, our first official run was about 11:45.

Still, we were all done and off course by 4:30pm, because the rain kept a lot of people away (we only had 80-90 entrants). The course was fun, but kind of technical, and apparently difficult to read until we stopped midway through the 1st heat to line it.

Let's see.. we had Miatas take home trophies in C Stock (lugnutjon & myself), CSP (mark52), SM2 (General Default co-driving mark52's car), STS2 (Lost216), STS2L (granddaughter of Lost216), and Tires (tailchaser).

We also had two Miatas in the money for the RapidePax - lugntjon took home 9th, and I took home 8th.

Today it all seemd to come together for me. I beat lugnutjon in class (and took 1st), beat him in the RapidePax (by 5 thousandths of a second ), won money in the RapidePax, won money from the Scooby guy in G Stock, and got a free Mazdaspeed hat from the parts dude with Freeman Mazda. I'd say overall it was a good day.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I stopped by for a bit, but had to go once I found out I had water under my bloody carpet. Sorry I didn't say hi, I didn't see anyone around the Miata's when I showed up. I spent most of the day trying to get these bolts off with no avail...
    Of all the world's greatest contradictions...'British Engineering' is by far my favorite oxymoron.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    we had Miatas take home trophies in C Stock (lugnutjon & myself), CSP (mark52), SM2 (General Default co-driving mark52's car), STS2 (Lost216), STS2L (granddaughter of Lost216), and Tires (tailchaser).
    Congrats all around to the trophy winners!

Quote Originally Posted by OUTRACE
    "Did you guys get at least 3 runs?
    You must be confusing ER with SCCA... we got our usual 6 runs in just fine, and were done by about 4:30p.

The issue with this event wasn't a Timing/Scoring/Computer issue. It wasn't an organizational cluster-you-know-what. It was a significant visual problem with the course. For some reason, the folks that set up the course felt that chalking the route wasn't necessary. It was a technical course, and somewhat confusing, due -- I think -- mostly to a significant "sea of cones" effect. The first heat weather simply added to the visual confusion. We ran about 35 to 40 cars, and only 6 managed not to DNF! And this wasn't a bunch of Novices (no offense intended)... seasoned drivers like the Old Bull DNF'd.

So the Course Designer and the ER President looked over the situation. They added some pointer cones. We stopped proceedings to chalk the course... with the ER President doing a lot of that work himself! Then the BoD met briefly to discuss what we should do for the folks that had gone through the pain of those initial runs. We decided to give everyone re-runs, and get all the drivers back on an equal playing field. OK... that cost us about an hour. And it was a miserable hour, as it was misty and rained on-and-off. The First Heat workers really took a hit, not only having to work a very long shift, but also having to do a lot of that work in pretty awful conditions.

But at the end of the day, I feel ER did the right thing. We looked at the situation, and took positive, decisive action to make things as good as we could. There wasn't a lot of standing around, wringing our hands, arguing in the Trailer... Decisive action taken, and the President rolling up his sleeves, getting out there and doing the work along with a number of others.

So my hat is off to the ER Prez and the First Heat Workers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    For some reason, the folks that set up the course felt that chalking the route wasn't necessary. It was a technical course, and somewhat confusing, due -- I think -- mostly to a significant "sea of cones" effect.

So my hat is off to the ER Prez and the First Heat Workers!
    In defense of the folks who set up course I'm sure they felt the chalk would be washed way during the morning showers that we were having.

And your welcome, I was one of the few the proud the first heat workers!

The folks at ER do a great job they saw a problem and fixed it and away we went!!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    "In defense of the folks who set up course I'm sure they felt the chalk would be washed way during the morning showers that we were having."
    Yep, you are right.

BTW, I liked the course! Unfortunately, I had my best time of the day on my first run. It's always frustrating when you don't get faster as the day goes on...

I liked the course, too!

It's nice to wind up 25th out of 69 in the Rapide Pax when running on street tires... That is, at least, until you look at the rankings and see that Mr. Foley managed 18th... Darn GS pax...

Sorry to take your thunder General Default, but I just had to mention that the ER results for Challenge Cup #8 on Oct. 10, 2004 have been posted by General Default on the ER web page.

Now if we could only get the results from the last SCCA event posted.

SCCA - 2 weeks+
    ER - 1 day

The rain scared me away from running the F500 (I don't like getting beat by the Miata's in the rain) and of course it clears up and turns out to be a good day of running after all.

I also don't like cleaning the car after running it in the rain either, but that's mainly because I'm lazy.

SpinOutF500

Results Posted

Driving Mark52's car was a lot of fun. He really has a cool sounding exhaust note. I ran the SM2 class to keep the battle fair in CSP for season points. As many of you have found out if you let someone else drive your car you get beat. I guess I was just trying to find the limit more than he was. Anyway I applied the CSP index to my time instead of the SM2 index. That helped a lot. Would move up to 8th from 17th. That would have been nice but I am happy the other Miata drivers took pax money home instead.

Mark52's car has a lot of potential. Wait till he does some more tuning. He will easily be a second faster.

Oh heck I forget to look in the trunk...

Oh and Thanks Mark52 I had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Mark52's car has a lot of potential. Wait till he does some more tuning. He will easily be a second faster.
    General, if you can make my car a second faster, you can co-drive it anytime! I don't know a thing about car set up... heck, I can hardly get the tire pressures right.

Many, many, many thanks, General Default!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

The best part of the day was when George L came running up toward the Miatas going "Where's that d*#$&* SM2 Miata?!?"

If he were even running CS times, it would have been even funnier...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    The best part of the day was when George L came running up toward the Miatas going "Where's that d*#$&* SM2 Miata?!?"

If he were even running CS times, it would have been even funnier...
    Just goes to show that money and talent don't often go hand in hand. :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    "If he were even running CS times, it would have been even funnier..."
    Wow, I hadn't noticed that... the top 4 CSers beat all of the "normal" SM2 drivers. I think I've found my class for next year!

BTW... congrats to gabkwong for a 2nd place finish in Tire Class. That makes 1 second place finish, 1 third place finish, and 2 fourth place finishes so far this year! You definitely need to come out and play at the double header in Mineral Wells on November 6th and 7th. We're talking Year-End Trophy potential here, but you have to run a minimum of 6 events to qualify. You've run four ER events so far, and there are 2 to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I think I've found my class for next year!
    If Kumho ever "really" sends JohnB his V710's we might all be looking to run SM2.

SM=StockMiata right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast