Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifter noise

Home: Midlothian, TX Work: Richardson, TX

Default Lifter noise

My '99 with 150,000 miles is developing what I'm pretty sure is lifter noise. It is most obvious when at idle when warm, with the A/C on. When you do this, the thing literally sounds like a diesel, and I'm not exaggerating. Turn the A/C off, at it gets much more quiet, you can still hear a slight tick, but not nearly as bad. With the A/C on if you rev the engine up, it will also become less obvious.

Lately I've also noticed that at around 3700-4000 RPM, if I start accelerating in 3rd or 4th gear, there is a range in there where I'll hear it too, probably up around 4200. At this rev it sounds much different of course, but it still sounds like clatter.

Does this sound like something that 2Twisty's ATF flush might help?

Thanks,

-Tim

It might.

Tell us about your oil.

Brand of Oil?
    Weight of Oil?
    Brand of Filter?
    Oil Change Frequency?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Don't the 99's have solid lifters??????

The A/C compressors in both my NB's are not whisper quiet wonder how much of you lifter noise is the A/C compressor?

Your 99 doesn't have hydraulic lifters the 99 and up version of the 1.8, Mazda switched from the HLA (hydraulic lash adjusters) to a shim-over-bucket set-up. If they're loud, you need to check clearances and shim if required. They don't suffer the same tick tick issues of the hydraulic lifter in the Vintage NA Miatas.

Valvoline 10W-30 standard oil, change every 3000 miles (since 124,000 when I bought it)

FRAM oil filter, which I just read the probably the worst, as of now I'm switching to the OEM filter.

Thanks,

-Tim

99s have solid lifters.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

So if this car has solid lifters, then is it possible the shims have worn down allowing some lash? What would cause this in a car with solid lifters?

-Tim

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scorn001 View Post
    So if this car has solid lifters, then is it possible the shims have worn down allowing some lash? What would cause this in a car with solid lifters?

-Tim
    Solid lifter will make some noise, but you really need to compare it to another '99+ to see how bad yours really is.

Fill out your profile and maybe someone near you could help ya.

Profile has now been filled out. I'm in Richardson pretty much 7AM - 4PM through the work week if anyone wants to look at it, or I can meet somewhere, whichever.

To me it sounds like more than compressor noise because it is a definite rattle, like I said before, it sounds like a diesel to me, but you guys(and gals) have a lot more experience with these cars than I do.

Thanks a ton,

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by scorn001 View Post

-Tim
    It is my understanding that 99+ owners manual says something to the effect of "the valve clearances are to be checked at 60K miles and adjusted as needed".

With that many miles on it, I pop the valve cover and check the valve lash, anyway. Be sure to do it with the engine cold, too. It may not be the cause of your diesel noise, but it needs to be checked.

"Lately I've also noticed that at around 3700-4000 RPM, if I start accelerating in 3rd or 4th gear, there is a range in there where I'll hear it too, probably up around 4200. At this rev it sounds much different of course, but it still sounds like clatter." Could that be some pinging noise? Try a tank full of premium gas and see if it's still there. My $0.02
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

After talking with Rogue yesterday afternoon, he pretty much convinced me that the rattle at idle is likely my A/C compressor. Then yesterday afternoon on the way home I tried to get a better listen to the noise I was hearing at higher revs and couldn't get it to repeat. I do hear a bit of a hiss at those revs, I assume this is air flow or exhaust noise, not sure.

For now I'm going to chalk this up as my compressor just making noise at idle, and the fact that until recently, I haven't taken the car above 4,000 regularly, and I'm still getting used to those noises.

Thanks, and any input is still appreciated.

-Tim

The highest I've taken it so far is about 5,000 before a shift. The sound of that motor winding up that high still scares me. I've been told by nearly everyone that it is fine above that, still scares the crap out of me. Plus I put 100 miles a day on it, I'm afraid I'm going to wear the out.

On the way in to work one morning on I-45, I got in a line of cars that were going pretty fast, I got it up to 100 before I chickened out. Car still had plenty of juice left, it was still handling solid, and the cars in front of me were still out running me, but the sound of that motor had my knuckles white, I backed off and switched lanes. Felt almost like it was going to run out of RPM before it ran out of HP.

-Tim

Your missing out on 20 more horsepower by shifting before 5,000 RPM. Rev it out. You have a rev limiter that prevents damaging your motor. In fact, hit the rev limiter so you can see what it feels like.

I hit the rev limiter frequently and almost always shift above 5k. My car has 162k on the odo and runs great.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Keep that attitude up and we'll have to revoke your ownership status...
    +1 ... just drive it!

I as well as almost everyone that has driven my car hits the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. With good main. it will be fine
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I as well as almost everyone that has driven my car hits the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. With good main. it will be fine
    Yea but doesn't a Mazdaspeed only rev up to like 3750 rpm before you hit the rev limiter.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Yea but doesn't a Mazdaspeed only rev up to like 3750 rpm before you hit the rev limiter.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast