Thread: A/C compressor quit

Default A/C compressor quit

Worked on my way to San Marcos yesterday but quit after a restart when I got here. Fan works but no cold air.........any guesses?
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    Worked on my way to San Marcos yesterday but quit after a restart when I got here. Fan works but no cold air.........any guesses?
    If it is low on refrigerant, the compressor won't kick on (there is a pressure switch). You can get a can of refrigerant with a fill trigger and gauge for less that $15. It will allow you to check the pressure and add refrigerant if you need it. Older cars tend to have o-rings dry out and leak, but the re-fill kits have a conditioner that helps give the o-rings a little life. The problem is, I would think your car is too new to be experience something like this.

As far as more serious causes, I would look at any A/C stuff touched during the intercooler install. There is some "adjusting" of AC lines that occurred that I would look at. I actually had my hot-side intercooler pipe melt a hole in the A/C condenser. This happened because I didn't pay attention when removing and replacing the pipe one time, and installed it so that it was actually touching the condenser.

We're full of opinions here, are'nt we.

Todd is right though. The car A/C systems have hoses that, even on a brand new car can have a small amount of leakage. When I went to school, 10% leakage per year was not uncommon.

Go to your nearest Vautozone and pick you up a can. With the new R134a valves it's as easy as connecting a drill to an air compressor.

If you want to go a little more extravigant, Harbor Freight has a set of gauges on sale for $30.

Linkie
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I'd second what Todd suggested.

I had a break in the line when I had an A/A IC. I go and get it leaked tested. The dye will reveal the leak. Mine was leaking at one of the pipes going into the compressor. Had a hair line crack in it.

If the compressor is bad I have a spare that I bought but didn't ever get a chance to replace it on the car before it got totaled.

I have an appointment at the stealership on Wednesday in New Braunfels so they can diagnose it. I got a 60K warranty on it and it's got 51500 so I am going let them do their thing.

I have an appointment at the stealership on Wednesday in New Braunfels so they can diagnose it. I got a 60K warranty on it and it's got 51500 so I am going let them do their thing.
    Warranty won't cover your intercooler rubbing a hole in the line of the condenser.

Good luck!

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Stealership found a hole found in the freon tube caused by a rubbing intercooler and wanted $467 to fix it to which I replied, "Your Nucking Futs!!!!" So here's hoping an overcast or cooler day on Saturday when I come back. Repair work will have to wait until next week when I get the part number......

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Warranty won't cover your intercooler rubbing a hole in the line of the condenser.
    Stealership found a hole found in the freon tube caused by a rubbing intercooler

Now fix it!

Duct tape???? Just kidding. Hope your ride home isnt' too hot.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Should have gotten a convertable, oh wait.

Paging IPRESS and MadMerv!!!!

Maybe one of those guys knows a spec racer that is yanking out some AC stuff from an NB. You may be able to get the part you need cheap that way.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Paging IPRESS and MadMerv!!!!

Maybe one of those guys knows a spec racer that is yanking out some AC stuff from an NB. You may be able to get the part you need cheap that way.

RJ
    Gary has some wrecked NBs. He might have it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Stealership found a hole found in the freon tube caused by a rubbing intercooler
    Timmy, how about a picture of were the problem was for the other kids on this board with similar intercooler setups.