Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead turbo options...

Default Dead turbo options...

Okay, so what I thought was a blown intercooler pipe has turned out to be an intake propeller that won't turn/ frozen turbo shaft.

So what are my options? Is there anyone you'd recommend local? Majestic turbos in Waco?

My dad sent me these two links:

http://www.gpopshop.com/garrettt2kits.html

I'd be scared to rebuild it myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T25-T...mZ120148346942

A venture into the unknown.

Let me know what you think? I want this fixed before 9/20 ie. Hallett.

Thanks
    Last edited by Sharpie; 08-09-2007 at 11:26 PM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Oh yeah, it's a sleeve bearing Garrett t25 turbo from the older FMII kit.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I had Majestic in Waco rebuild the turbos on my RX-7, many years ago. Upon reinstallation, they ran for about 45 seconds, and then the impeller on the primary turbo spun itself off the prop shaft and broke into a thousand pieces. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Just an FYI. I've heard plenty of good things about them, but make sure they tighten the shaft nuts properly.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Did you have a lubricaton problem to cause the bearing to sieze?

A Volvo friend of mine is rebuilding a turbo right now and was just commenting on how simple of a job it really is. You might want to consider it. I have no experience with this myself so YMMV.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

There's a majestic turbo in irving. They will charge you like $200 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    There's a majestic turbo in irving. They will charge you like $200 I believe.
    +1... A friend of mine has had very good luck with those guys - I think he talks to a guy named Mike. They also rebuilt the turbo on my old BMW many moons ago...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Did you have a lubricaton problem to cause the bearing to sieze?
    Not that I'm aware of.

Once I get it pulled off, I'll decide what to do. Will check into majestic for sure. Glad to hear there's one in Irving. I have company this weekend, so I may not get it pulled til Sunday.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

t25/t28 with tdo4h internals

Brand new! Means absolutely no shaft play!!

Asking 100

Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    +1... A friend of mine has had very good luck with those guys - I think he talks to a guy named Mike. They also rebuilt the turbo on my old BMW many moons ago...
    They built a t3 super 60 for my vw a few years ago. I was happy with it.

+7 for the local Majestic. Got my li'l turbo from there for an excellent price, and a buddy uses them with some frequency.

If you want their number, let me know; I'd be happy to pass it along.
    ...and yes, the guy's name is Mike, as Trickyrix mentioned.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    t25/t28 with tdo4h internals

Brand new! Means absolutely no shaft play!!

Asking 100

This looks like the chinese turbo from the thread I posted. I'd like to get mine off and match them up and see if it would fit easily. Then I could buy some time to rebuild mine. I'll be in touch Mike. Any more info. on this?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    This looks like the chinese turbo from the thread I posted. I'd like to get mine off and match them up and see if it would fit easily. Then I could buy some time to rebuild mine. I'll be in touch Mike. Any more info. on this?
    Yes, its a local guy here in DFW that is selling the item (dallasimports.net). I'm sure he would be more than willing to let you take a look at it. It is a $100 and like you said it would give you time to try to rebuild yours and in any case you might have a semi-decent spare
    Blah blah blah!

Thanks, now if I could just get mine off......I've learned new cuss words.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Sharpie,
    I took mine to Majestic in Iriving last Summer to let them inspect it and they were real honest as he said it looked to be in great condition. He even helped me disassemble it so I could get the outlet housing coated and didn't charge me a cent.

So what problems are you having getting your turbo off? I've had mine off oh at least 20 times so I may be able to help out. The biggest help is to loosen the drivers side motor mount and jack up the motor on that side. This will give you more clearance to pull the turbo off the manifold. If you are having other problems just ask I promise you I can help as I can get my turbo off in about 30 min now.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Sharpie, the compressor inlet and outlet on that Chinese turbo will either need adapters or they have to be machined down. That's going to be true of just about any generic T25 though.

We recommend Limit Engineering for turbo rebuilds.

Keith
    Flyin' Miata

Justin you have a PM.

Update for the rest of you.

I have one bolt that I just can't get a wrench on. It's the last bolt I need to get this thing off of there. I'm trying to get the pipe off between the turbo and the mid-pipe now and maybe that will allow me to get it off. It's the bottom bolt toward the firewall between the turbo and the manifold. Pretty much everything else is loose or off.

I've never taken a turbo off, Corky sure did manufacture some hard pieces to get wrenches on.

If I ever get it off, I've already contacted Majestic and gave me a rough estimate of $285 to $550.......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

pics of the stuck bolt??

Pic, ha ha ha, I barely see it as it is, getting a camera in there is impossible.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast