Thread: Need Alignment Advice

Default Need Alignment Advice

When leaving downtown Dallas Thursday night after a little rain, I was entering the the I-30 ramp off of Main street when I had a little accident. I was just about to enter the ramp (by the Julius Scheppe statue) and my rearend came around to the right, I corrected and I fishtailed to the left and then back to right and the car did a 180 and popped over the curb. I absolutely do not know how I do not hit the minivan beside me or the lamp post by the statue. I believe there must have been some oil on the road because it was just like being on ice.

I do not have any body damage, but the driver side rear wheel is now bent slightly inward even after replacing the damaged wheel with an extra wheel I had. I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the right (15-20 degrees) to drive straight. I stopped by Firestone over the weekend and they could not see anything obvious that was bent or broken and suggested I take the car to Dallas Frame and Alignment.

Do you guys have a better suggestion than to take it to Dallas Frame & Alignment to have it checked out?

Thanks
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Go to BAM's NTB Store in Lewisville, he can fix ya up!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Go to BAM's NTB Store in Lewisville, he can fix ya up!

I know they do regular front end alignments, but it's the rear end I am worried about.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I know they do regular front end alignments, but it's the rear end I am worried about.
    He does 4 wheel alignments (which would include all 4 wheels, front & rear )....

Send him a PM, I bet ya he can help!

If you hit hard enough to bend a stock rim, the long bolt that mounts the spindle to the lower a-arm now looks like an "S". If you losen the nut and turn it, it won't, and it won't come out either. You have to cut it in pieces with a reciprocating saw. That is THE weak link in the rear suspension. It's an easy fix, though.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The 2000 Miata rim was not bent, it was just chewed up by the curb it hit. I had 3 extra rims and put one of those on. After I put the "new" rim on it was pigeon-toed like the one damaged. I talked to my nephew who is very knowledgable about this stuff and he thinks that one or both of the control arms are bent. I PMed BAM! and will go see him next week at NTB to get his opinion.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    The 2000 Miata rim was not bent, it was just chewed up by the curb it hit. I had 3 extra rims and put one of those on. After I put the "new" rim on it was pigeon-toed like the one damaged. I talked to my nephew who is very knowledgable about this stuff and he thinks that one or both of the control arms are bent. I PMed BAM! and will go see him next week at NTB to get his opinion.
    He doesn't know Miatas......... Check the bolt FIRST!!!!! I have never had to replace a rear a-arm on a Miata, and I've had some pretty bad hits. The sub-frame will go second.
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Go to the dealer and buy the damn bolt before bothering BAM! It costs around $10 if memory serves.

In the mean time, if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, you may be able to rotate the bent bolt so the bend is vertical. This will sort-of correct your toe-in problem. But replace the bolt ASAP.

I pulled the wheel last night and the bolt is slightly bent. Bought a new bolt at the dealer this morning for $12 (it looks like something you could buy at Home Depot for $1). I will install over the weekend. I really appreciate the information!!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

You're welcome :)