Thread: Bad cat... bad, bad cat.

Default Bad cat... bad, bad cat.

I asked some you folks at the S2K event last Sat. about the codes (P0420)my car has been throwing my way lately. Everybody said 'its the cat,' or maybe the O2 sensor. Everybody was right. What was confusing to me was that the last cat was installed 10K miles ago. Why would it be bad? Well, it was bad because it was replaced prior to the bad coil pack being replaced. So, some damage probably ocurred to the 'new' cat before the coil pack was replaced.
    So now I get new cat (), free of charge. You have to admit, the miata emissions warranty is fairly good.... up to 80,000 miles.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Re: Bad cat... bad, bad cat.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    You have to admit, the miata emissions warranty is fairly good.... up to 80,000 miles.
    Good for you Joe! A new isn't going to make you faster is it?

Glad to hear you got that resolved! Now, I'm just hoping the "bad" cat wasn't clogged... I'd hate to think you were running with a handicap on Saturday...

So was the car acting like a :pig: , or were you just getting a check engine light?

It's your getting a new !

Congrats, Joe. As the Team Cheap Bastard motto ought to read: "If it's free, then it can't be bad."

You have to admit, the miata emissions warranty is fairly good.... up to 80,000 miles.
    Actually, I think the emissions equipment warranties are mandated by the federal government, and I think they're all the same, regardless of manufacturer. Otherwise, the EPA would likely get it's panties all wadded up.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Oh- if its a gov't mandate from the EPA, I'm sure I've already paid for the 'free' cat. They probably owe me (2) more...

The car seemed to run fine on Saturday so I don't expect to see a difference.

Oh- if its a gov't mandate from the EPA, I'm sure I've already paid for the 'free' cat.
    Especially if you've bought a Honda since '99... My '97 Civic has a 10 year unlimited mileage emissions warranty due to a little "oopsie" in which Honda re-wrote some code in the horribly incapable OBD-II engine management software to ignore some of the newly mandated failure modes... Of course, I'm sure the Civic will never rat me out at the inspection station anyway, since it ignores the more troublesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Congrats, Joe. As the Team Cheap Bastard motto ought to read: "If it's free, then it can't be bad."

Iain
    Dang my '92 hasn't been eligible for the emissions stuff in over 65,000 miles! The only way I could get a free is to hit it with the car!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

As the Team Cheap Bastard motto ought to read: "If it's free, then it can't be bad."
    Iain

I see we have a convert amongst us! What a proud moment for Team CB!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    As the Team Cheap Bastard motto ought to read: "If it's free, then it can't be bad."
    Iain

I thought the CB motto was, "If it's free, it's mine!"

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Iain

I thought the CB motto was, "If it's free, it's mine!"
    That's part of the allure of being a Cheap Bastard! Mottos themselves are free, so why limit yourself to just one!

Just picked the car up from the dealer. It runs great but smells bad. (smelly , wishing it smelled like :pig: ) I'll run it around awhile and break it in.

The best thing is to see the items listed on the paperwork with the big 'N/C' next to them- No Charge.