Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Line Engine Oil

Default Red Line Engine Oil

Ok well i like the gear lube. While i was at the shop i noticed that they make engine oil too any information on this. I'm goning to synthetic oil in then next two weeks, and i want to know what you much "OLDER" wiser people would suggest
    The Kid

Default Re: Red line.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002FMIIMiataLS
    Ok well i like the gear lube. While i was at the shop i noticed that they make engine oil too any information on this. I'm going to synthetic oil in then next two weeks, and i want to know what you much "OLDER" wiser people would suggest
    I suggest you chill on the older crap before I beat you with my walker.

Also learn to use your [shift] key on the keyboard!

Thank you please drive thru!

lol ok ok i will leave you alone since it seems like i hit a nerve. The shift key what do you mean.
    The Kid

Whatever! At least your smart enough to figure out it was grating on my one good nerve.

I run Mobil 1 Synthetic in both our '02 & '92. I run 10w30 in the '02 with a Mazda OEM filter.

Hey Kid,
    The funny thing is, only the YOUNGER "old guys" get tweaked by comments regarding age....... Once you're certifiably geezer-esque, it stops bothering you.

FWIW - I use Mobil 1 in everything I own, from my 5000 rpm F150 to my 14,000 rpm R1.

Save yourself a buck or two and get the 5 quart containers at WalMart.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Default Re: Red line.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I suggest you chill on the older crap before I beat you with my walker.
    I don't care who ya are, that's just funny!

I use Mobil 1 in everything I own that has an internal combustion engine, and I have for over a decade. In that time the only engine related problem I've had was caused by a jackhole mechanic blowing up a set of turbos on my RX-7, and not from oil.

I'm sure the Redline is probably as good as Mobil 1, but why go to the trouble and expense of using it when Mobil 1 works just fine?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Looks like mobile one it is. I noticed that all of the ummm really older guys dont get bothered by it. And just for the record it is i joke i have kudos of respect for all of you regardless of age. I mean come on i am in the minority here, and i'm tryiing to hang out with the "old" people
    The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by 2002FMIIMiataLS
    Looks like mobile one it is. I noticed that all of the ummm really older guys dont get bothered by it. And just for the record it is i joke i have kudos of respect for all of you regardless of age. I mean come on i am in the minority here, and I’m trying to hang out with the "old" people
    The really older guys are heavily medicated , us younger older guys are not and it gets our depends in a twist some mornings!

lol ok you win i cant stop laughing agter that one... still laughing i'll get back to you on that one.
    The Kid

Yea, the double dose of PROZAC I'm on dosen't allow me to get cranky at the young whippersnappers :)
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

i am too cheap to use synthetic, so i use casterol 10/40, but i use mobil 1 syn gear oil in the tranny.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    ...and it gets our depends in a twist some mornings!
    Yeah, don't get his Depends twisted too much or they'll leak all over his driver's seat.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

The redline really isn't the best for the street. It's pricey. I don't have any hard data to back it up, but I don't think it holds up as well in the long term as others do (mobil 1). We run Redline everything in all the racecars and have had great results but it looks whipped after a sprint race or two. We ran it in the 25 hour last year. The motor and tranny survived but were whipped at the end (to be expected, nothing unusual). The diff died at about 16 hours due to a front pinion bearing failure (oiling problem?? who knows).

I use BG synthetic. I get it free and I probably wouldn't use it if it wasn't simply because its a pain in the arse to get. It works great.

I would just use the Mobile 1 if I were you because it's cheaper and easier to get.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i will go out and pick me up some mobile one. The red line will be ok in my tranny and differential though right??? or do i need to go and change that out
    The Kid

Actually, Redline and Mobil1 don't like to be in adjacent compartments from one another. Their different molecular structures cause dielectric polarization between the anti-wear additives. Over time, the dielectric polarization will cause your transmission to fuse itself to the engine block, making clutch replacement impossible. The effect is so powerful that I recommend flushing all of the Redline out of your trans with soap and water.

NOT!
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

LOL, I was reading going, WTF, bull****......

You got me.

LOL oh come on you dont think i'm that dumb do you, i know quite a but about cars.
    The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by OUTRACE
    "Actually, Redline and Mobil1 don't like to be in adjacent compartments from one another. Their different molecular structures cause dielectric polarization between the anti-wear additives. Over time, the dielectric polarization will cause your transmission to fuse itself to the engine block, making clutch replacement impossible. The effect is so powerful that I recommend flushing all of the Redline out of your trans with soap and water."
    Damn. I didn't know.

Look, I've drained all the fluids out of my car...What kind of soap should I use? Is Dawn Dishwashing soap OK, or is there a special type/brand that is better? Can someone help me do this tonight? I'm afraid to wait any longer...

awwwwww ok i guess i will be a little more careful.
    The Kid

Dawn dish detergent will be fine in the tranny. Just drain out the Redline, mix the Dawn 50/50 with water, fill up the tranny with the mix, and drive it at least 100 miles before you drain it again. Then fill the tranny with plain water and drive another 100 miles again to rinse. Drain and repeat the rinse cycle 4 more times (5 total rinses).

Then dry the tranny by leaving the fill and drain plugs out and drive the car for 200 miles at 80 miles an hour.

Now you can put the Mobil 1 tranny sauce in. You'll be amazed at how loose your trans feels with the Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTRACE
    "Actually, Redline and Mobil1 don't like to be in adjacent compartments from one another. Their different molecular structures cause dielectric polarization between the anti-wear additives. Over time, the dielectric polarization will cause your transmission to fuse itself to the engine block, making clutch replacement impossible. The effect is so powerful that I recommend flushing all of the Redline out of your trans with soap and water."
    Damn. I didn't know.

Look, I've drained all the fluids out of my car...What kind of soap should I use? Is Dawn Dishwashing soap OK, or is there a special type/brand that is better? Can someone help me do this tonight? I'm afraid to wait any longer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast