Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood Risers?

Default Hood Risers?

LINK

Is/Are there any benefit/s to this mod? It looks like pieces and parts that could easily be found at Lowe's or Home Depot, but is/are there any practical reason/s for this?

Hmmm...judging by the picture on that site, it seems like it would be fairly simple mod, maybee throw the extended bolts on for an autocross or track day??

Seems like it would help out, especially if you had TSIs, but I dont know much about this stuff.

I have been pondering this mod for awhile though, my only drawback, is it really looks like ass.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    my only drawback, is it really looks like ass.
    Then the front will match the back of your car!

Hey now, thats just not right...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I don't think you would like this when it is hot out. All of the heat from the engine ends up right where the fan can suck it in to the cabin. If you think it is hot in the Bur now....

I'm punching two 6x12" holes in my hood to try and cool down the turbo. My car is on hiatus from overheating until I can figure this crap out. My water temps got upto 108 degree sitting still and 116 degrees celcius in stop and go traffic.

One advantage of the LINK computer is I get real temps.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Your wallet would be $15.00 lighter, that would help wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I don't think you would like this when it is hot out. All of the heat from the engine ends up right where the fan can suck it in to the cabin. If you think it is hot in the Bur now....
    What is this "fan" of which you speak? Even if there were one, I don't think it could get any hotter in the BUR cabin....
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    What is this "fan" of which you speak? Even if there were one, I don't think it could get any hotter in the BUR cabin....
    I know he pulled the AC and heater core, but the vent fan too?

Seems like a good way to screw up your nice aluminum hood. I doubt the bulkhead is a high pressure area in need of ventilation. This kind of crap reminds me of that guy Iain used to argue with who did the homebrew aero mods.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    LINK

Is/Are there any benefit/s to this mod? It looks like pieces and parts that could easily be found at Lowe's or Home Depot, but is/are there any practical reason/s for this?
    i have a temp sensor near the AF housing under the hood., i read the temp on 635 in traffic one day. just by removing the long rubber piece that sits on top of the firewall, it drop temps about 20 degrees on a comparable day. (theres you practicality) i wouldve done this mod already but i didnt know home depot sells the long nut thingy in the pic on the link. this mod is popular in japan and in drifting circles. ok, just cuz im doing this, doesnt mean everyone else go out there and do this! lol and yes it does take a little bit of getting used to.
    -AJ Ngo

I was thinking of just buying the nuts for $.75 at home depot & trying it out for an autocross, if it does any good, keep it around for track stuff, if not, sell it on Ebay to some poor schmuck for $50.

If you do this, let me know what nuts & bolts you used & where you got them.

Edit: I would worry about bending the hood though...

Just because ricers do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I was thinking of just buying the nuts for $.75 at home depot & trying it out for an autocross, if it does any good, keep it around for track stuff, if not, sell it on Ebay to some poor schmuck for $50.

If you do this, let me know what nuts & bolts you used & where you got them.

Edit: I would worry about bending the hood though...

i dont think it would bend the hood. all the rear of the hood is moved up, if youre worried about the angle at the rear, then the hinges on the car would compensate for that, other then that, the whole thing sorta pivots on the front latch. i rekun those shiny little hood pin thingys that ya put on the hood lahk mah hot rod oughtta hep ya tho too.
    -AJ Ngo

On my '90, I removed the rubber at the back of the hood, and it did decrease the under-hood temps. But since my car was a daily driver, If I had the A/C on, the A/C would pull this hot air in and attempt to cool it leading to an even greater over-heating issue. Since you don't have a/c just try removing the rubber.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

i run my ac on recirc, gets colder that way, at least on my car.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    Since you don't have a/c just try removing the rubber.
    The rubber has long since been gone...

I'll be making a run to Lowe's this weekend... see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    I'm punching two 6x12" holes in my hood to try and cool down the turbo. My car is on hiatus from overheating until I can figure this crap out. My water temps got upto 108 degree sitting still and 116 degrees celcius in stop and go traffic.

One advantage of the LINK computer is I get real temps.
    Just dish out ~$700 after shipping for one of those heat extractor hoods! I know FM and a few other sites have some.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    Yeah, exactly.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    I've I hadn't removed my AC, I would do the same... but seeing as how I'm missing the AC, heater box, and other such pieces, it wouldn't do too much harm to raise the rear of the hood...

We'll see if this actually amounts to anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast