Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daaamn! Mustang GT500 Gets an Official 500hp

Default Daaamn! Mustang GT500 Gets an Official 500hp

This summer the most powerful Mustang ever will go on sale, and Ford announced today that it would have 25 more horsepower than originally estimated. The Shelby GT500 was just ran through the Society of Automotive Engineer’s ringer of tests and came out the other end with an official rating of 500 hp and 480 ft-lbs. of torque. The supercharged 5.4L V8 uses a roots-type supercharger providing a not insignificant (for OEM) 9 lbs./square inch of boost. Many of the engines components were also borrowed from Ford’s supercar, the GT.

That's mighty stout! No doubt the Viper and Z06 will still spank it around a race track, but the 'Stang should cost considerably less than either of those cars, as Ford estimates it will start in the "low 40s".

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 05-02-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Even "low 40s" seems to be pushing it to me, and I am sure you won't be able to find one optioned below the mid 40's. Are they going to offer it in convertible?

***cough***market adjustment***cough***

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Even "low 40s" seems to be pushing it to me, and I am sure you won't be able to find one optioned below the mid 40's. Are they going to offer it in convertible?
    Yes, there will be a 'vert.

You think, say, $42,500 is too much for a 500hp Mustang with an engine pretty much straight out of the Fort GT? That's the average OTD price of a Tahoe these days, so it doesn't seem too outrageous to me. If I could have this, a Tahoe, or a 330i, I know which one I'd choose.

The question of market adjustment and dealer-installed options is more worrisome.

S.

Will it have IRS or a solid rear axle?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Will it have IRS or a solid rear axle?
    Your insurance agent just called. I couldn't understand what he was saying over the girlish giggling.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Your insurance agent just called. I couldn't understand what he was saying over the girlish giggling.
    Oh you know this turkey will be at the top of the scale as far as insurance goes.......

But back to my original question is this just a mean motor stuffed into a mediocre car??

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    You think, say, $42,500 is too much for a 500hp Mustang with an engine pretty much straight out of the Fort GT? That's the average OTD price of a Tahoe these days, so it doesn't seem too outrageous to me. If I could have this, a Tahoe, or a 330i, I know which one I'd choose.
    When a 300HP GT coupe starts with an MSRP of $25k, yes... $42,500 is too much for me. $17,500 seems like a lot to pay for 200 hp and a couple plastic cobra emblems.

Between cars on your list, I would take the 330i (and the $5k I would save). If I was spending $42,500 on a car, I would scrape together an extra $500 and get an Elise.

Why can't they design some decent wheels to go with it? Those are UGLY and it seems to be missing some styling cues. The vert' looks like a boring 6cyl.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

When a 300HP GT coupe starts with an MSRP of $25k, yes... $42,500 is too much for me. $17,500 seems like a lot to pay for 200 hp and a couple plastic cobra emblems.

Between cars on your list, I would take the 330i (and the $5k I would save). If I was spending $42,500 on a car, I would scrape together an extra $500 and get an Elise.

You're getting much more than just 200hp and plastic emblems.... The suspension is reworked, from shocks and springs to anti-sways, strut braces, and body bracing. There's a front diffuser and what looks to be a rear diffuser too... Also of note are the air-to-water I/C, 14" front brakes... It's a porker at 3800 lbs, has a 57/43 weight distribution.... C&D compared most of the acceleration and skidpad numbers to the C6 Vette.

Yeah it's still a solid axle rear, but supposedly Ford did their homework and actually made the setup handle pretty well.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    You're getting much more than just 200hp and plastic emblems.... The suspension is reworked, from shocks and springs to anti-sways, strut braces, and body bracing. There's a front diffuser and what looks to be a rear diffuser too... Also of note are the air-to-water I/C, 14" front brakes... It's a porker at 3800 lbs, has a 57/43 weight distribution.... C&D compared most of the acceleration and skidpad numbers to the C6 Vette.

Yeah it's still a solid axle rear, but supposedly Ford did their homework and actually made the setup handle pretty well.
    Meh. Still not worth Elise money to this former Mustang owner who still would toy with the idea of a new GT for a daily driver if it didn't suck $3 in gas money out of my back pocket on the way to work and another $3 on the way home.

Meh. Still not worth Elise money to this former Mustang owner who still would toy with the idea of a new GT for a daily driver if it didn't suck $3 in gas money out of my back pocket on the way to work and another $3 on the way home.
    I was given the option to buy a '03 Mach 1 when I got my RSX... that was one of my biggest concerns against it (that and the number of miles on it). The GT "level" of 'stangs are a pretty sweet deal for the $$$, especially if you're into 1/4-mile performance and aftermarket parts.

When you compare this Cobra to the previous generations though (and their price), it's actually not too bad. C&D put it at ~$40k, and the 04 Cobra was ~$36k. Initial dealer mark-up is going to be a though
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Sounds like a lot of car for the money. It will make a great street car, and I'm sure it will deliver a lot of adolescent thrills.

Still, 3800 pounds is a lot of weight to pull around, which is why I wouldn't pick one for more than just a cruisin' car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Still, 3800 pounds is a lot of weight to pull around, which is why I wouldn't pick one for more than just a cruisin' car.
    I agree, but you could do some serious cruisin' in it! I wouldn't mind having one in the garage. Maybe even make it a convertible just to be completely absurd.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    C&D put it at ~$40k, and the 04 Cobra was ~$36k. Initial dealer mark-up is going to be a though
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...041/LATESTNEWS

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

"We're not trying to take advantage of anybody," he says "It's the market that dictates the value of the car, not us."
    "There are people that want the first of everything," Whitner says. "It's a matter of supply and demand. We're not the kind of store that's trying to gouge anybody."
    Amazing...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Current bid: US $65,100.00

Reserve not met

Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. Just wait two or three years and you'll be able to scoop one up for MSRP or less.

S.

Just remember also that all and I do mean ALL it is going to take to whip the crap out of a viper is to install a smaller pulley and retune the chip and exhaust. I know many 03-04 cobras that have had only these mods and have put down some stupid hp numbers. Sometimes even makes me think of getting an 03-04.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

C&D did a test of the GT500 vs. a base model Vette this month. the 400hp Vette beat the 500hp Rustang in EVERY PERFORMANCE TEST. acceleration, top speed, slalom, lane change, braking- all of them.

come to think of it- i think the rustang won in the 50-70mph top-gear run. maybe. i might be thinking of another comparison though.

either way- i figured the the Mustang would do better than that. the base model vette just slaughtered it. not to mention the bloated mustang isnt rally that much cheaper than a base model vette. no way id buy the rustang.

i want to see the 600hp "blue devil" vette.

Quote Originally Posted by RX7-2nr
    C&D did a test of the GT500 vs. a base model Vette this month. the 400hp Vette beat the 500hp Rustang in EVERY PERFORMANCE TEST. acceleration, top speed, slalom, lane change, braking- all of them.

come to think of it- i think the rustang won in the 50-70mph top-gear run. maybe. i might be thinking of another comparison though.

either way- i figured the the Mustang would do better than that. the base model vette just slaughtered it. not to mention the bloated mustang isnt rally that much cheaper than a base model vette. no way id buy the rustang.

i want to see the 600hp "blue devil" vette.
    Amen. I can get a Vette with the Z51 suspension package for a cool $40,000 these days through GMS pricing. Ford has announced that the GT500 will cost $42,975. No contest.

I think the Mustang GT with 300hp works well and is a cool car for $27,000. But the Shelby is trying to play with the big dogs and doesn't have enough firepower.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast