Thread: Awe Crap

Default Awe Crap

Well, time for a new upper shock mount and shock. I'll set the story up as I traded suspesions with Adam last year. I got his '91 springs and AGX's, he got my Weapon'R coilovers and Koni shocks. Well, I've been riding on them for about 7 or 8 months now and have been hearing a rattle and clunk lately. I decided to check it out tonight, and low and behold I find this when I look under the hood

If your not sure what your looking at, it's the shock having ripped through the upper shock mount. My best guess is that neither Adam or I torqued it down. Well, I was planning on getting the Nopro Shock Dumpers, this just means I'm doing it quicker. Pretty sure I'm gonna need at least one new shock. Should I go ahead and get just one AGX, or drop the cash and get a set of 4 new shocks....either AGX's or Bilstiens
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

I'd bet you might be able to salvage that shock. Buying one shock is going to give you a crap-tackula ride! Two would be better, if the old one can't be saved!

Looks like all you may need is a mount! Anyone here got one lying around?????

Let us know how we can help!

Im sure the thread on the shock pretty much gone. I'm wanting to get my suspension sorted out before I go to MSR in april, I guess this is my wake up call to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata
    Im sure the thread on the shock pretty much gone.
    Dependent on how bad I'd bet the threads could be repaired, with a tap & die set. Plus only a small portion of the thread was affected, so worst case a spacer could be devised to get back into the good part of the thread!

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology."

It's possible, I just dont want to risk premature failure. I want my car to be back to a good solid form. Thats why I'm trying to decide between a full set of Bilstiens and AGX's.

I'm pretty sure New AGX's would be more cost effective! Hey Sammmm where did you get your AGX's??? (Sammm is a Cheap Bastard and I know he spent the time to find the lowest price! )

Anyone bought a new set of Bilstiens?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I'm pretty sure New AGX's would be more cost effective! Hey Sammmm where did you get your AGX's??? (Sammm is a Cheap Bastard and I know he spent the time to find the lowest price! )
    ah shucks! You know me too well! I got mine for $305 shipped. Drop an email to [email protected] and tell her a buddy of yours got them for that price, she will probably match it!

Don't get Bilsteins, they suck.

If you wanna drop some real money, get the TEINs.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Talked to Peter at Rspeed, and I'm getting the Nopro Shock Dumpers, and 2 front AGX's. Sometime coming soon I'll be tearing my car apart again.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Don't get Bilsteins, they suck.

If you wanna drop some real money, get the TEINs.

Chris
    I think he's talking about off the shelf Bilstein shocks, not the PSS or PSS9 coilovers.

Comparing the OEM Bilsteins to KYBs or Konis, all I've got to say is this - General Default, Jon W., and myself all run on the non-adjustable OEM Sport Package Bilsteins (unless the General is tinkering with his fancy custom DA Konis again). You can make your own determination as to their effectiveness.

When it comes to coilovers for street/track use, I do agree with you, however. I'd buy Tein HA or Tein Flex coilovers before I bought the Bilstein PSS or PSS9 sets.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I was refering to the off the shelf Bilstiens, If I ever can afford a true full coilover setup I'd be going with the Teins. But as my budget is low, I'm just gonna replace the front AGX's for now.