Thread: It is so Hot...

Default It is so Hot...

It's so hot...

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

The temperature drops below 95 F (35 C) and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in August it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.

You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, 'What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?'

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk.

It's like Africa hot.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Didn't some guy's lighter explode in his car and burn it to the ground a day or two ago?
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    Didn't some guy's lighter explode in his car and burn it to the ground a day or two ago?
    Mythbusters spent a whole episode trying to get lighters to spontaneously combust. I don't think they had much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Mythbusters spent a whole episode trying to get lighters to spontaneously combust. I don't think they had much luck.
    The auto-ignition temperature of butane is 788 degrees Fahrenheit. Ain't gonna happen.

Now, you could possibly get the lighter hot enough that the pressure of the butane inside caused the lighter to burst... but it wouldn't catch fire.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    The auto-ignition temperature of butane is 788 degrees Fahrenheit. Ain't gonna happen.
    I dunno. The other day my shift knob felt like it was maybe 763... so we're gettin' close!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I dunno. The other day my shift knob felt like it was maybe 763... so we're gettin' close!
    do you have a modified-H shift pattern branded to your hand?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Talking

's

Thats what the news story said, who knows what really happened. Maybe it stayed lit or something and that caught his interior on fire.

Or maybe he ran over a piece of rebar that flipped up and lodged itself in his gas tank, driving almost a mile home before getting out of the car and carrying in the sick dog from the vet. All the while wondering what in the heck he heard pop up and hit his car while the dog had been bleeding on his passenger seat of his 6 month old 2006 Nissan Sentra. Next thing he knew, the car was engulfed in a ball of fire, sitting on his driveway.

A true story from a guy I work with. He now drives a 2006 Honda Civic EX.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Or maybe he ran over a piece of rebar that flipped up and lodged itself in his gas tank, driving almost a mile home before getting out of the car and carrying in the sick dog from the vet. All the while wondering what in the heck he heard pop up and hit his car while the dog had been bleeding on his passenger seat of his 6 month old 2006 Nissan Sentra. Next thing he knew, the car was engulfed in a ball of fire, sitting on his driveway.

A true story from a guy I work with. He now drives a 2006 Honda Civic EX.
    Sounds like the best thing that could have happened to that car... Shame about the full tank of gas, though...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Don't trust the news.

At least I wasn't making it all up.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Probably sparked the flint when it burst. You have to have some source for ignition.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Never trust the news... always do the background work yourself! Science will show that this guy was lying about the lighter explosion.

Episode 65: "Exploding Lighter"

A lighter can explode on a car dashboard.
    busted
    The lighter was put in a toaster oven to simulate the maximum temperature that the interior of a car can reach, around 180 degrees Fahrenheit. There was no reaction for several hours, and the lighter finally exploded when the MythBusters ramped the temperature up to over 350 degrees Fahrenheit, well above any temperature that can be expected in the interior of a car.

Five hundred lighters packed inside a car can explode with lethal force.
    plausible
    The MythBusters placed five hundred lighters in a car and slowly heated it up. One by one, lighters began to rupture and release gas fumes. When the MythBusters finally triggered an igniter, the gas fumes exploded, blowing out all of the windows and setting the car on fire. The myth was deemed possible as long as there is a suitable ignition source.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

It is soooo hot this tired, but funny thread melted into a boring rehash
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I had one do this last week in my air conditioned Kitchen, just sitting in the sunshine. and I can't tell you how many of mine have exploded in the car.
    However I have never seen any ignite.
    99 Miata Black