Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tein basic install...

Default Tein basic install...

Hey,

I rarely post, but a lot of you have seen me at the BMW events. I drive the classic red 04, with the fender modification thanks to Dodge Ram 1500.

I have decided to buy the Tein Basics, and I am going to pick up a RB hollow front sway + bracing tomorrow from Gary @ TrackDog.

The Teins will be ordered Nov 9th, and with my extra shipping costs, be here by Wednesday (from Emillio @ 949 racing) so I can install them Thursday.

However, if I could get any help, that'd be great...or any pointers, or links, or how tos for an NB install. The only thing I can recall so far is to remove the upper control arm bolt and do it that way, and I was wondering how bad the alignment would be afterwards (I can only picture camber being changed due to the lower ride) as I am wanting to take the car and it's new setup to the BMW event on the 17th.

Thanks.
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Update your profile so people know where you are. Then go fishing about hosting a tech day. Several members have changed several shocks. (AX season is almost over so it shouldn't be hard to get some help)

Altiain is going to tech me to do this in a couple of weeks. If you cant wait and live close to Garland, Rowlett area, may be I can give you a hand after mine is done. In the mean time you can look into the "Garage Section" of the Miata.net. There are several write ups on this. I read them but is not very sure and afraid to have my car in pieces and can not put it back to together. Mine is a daily driver and can not affort to it on jacks for more than a weekend.
    Gabriel

Ok all is updated, I am hoping to do this before the last BMW event on the 17th...but payday is the 9th, so the soonest shocks would be here is probably the 14th.
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

That leaves a pretty narrow window of opportunity, doesn't it?

I'm helping Gab do his shocks (probably at my house) on the 17th, but I can't help before then.

Regarding alignment - you're going to need one afterwards, period. Changing ride height not only changes camber, but it also changes toe, sometimes dramatically. Dramatic changes in static toe can make your car do really strange things at the limit (like snap oversteer). Why go to all the trouble to install coilovers before an autocross if you're not going to make sure the alignment is good before pushing the car to the limit? All of the suspension bling in the world won't help you go fast if your alignment is out of whack.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Never mind.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I talked to Gary and he has convinced me to spend the same money up front (950) on the Tein SS and no swaybar, rather than the basics and a swaybar ... and just buy the swaybar later.

Also, since I can get it sooner, like on the 9th have it in my hands, I can install it sooner and get an alignment...and get used to the car.

I just hope it's not too loose in the rear end with only a stock bar up front and none in the back, maybe I can adjust the damping to compensate till I get a front bar upgradge?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcreider View Post
    I talked to Gary and he has convinced me to spend the same money up front (950) on the Tein SS and no swaybar, rather than the basics and a swaybar ... and just buy the swaybar later.

Also, since I can get it sooner, like on the 9th have it in my hands, I can install it sooner and get an alignment...and get used to the car.

I just hope it's not too loose in the rear end with only a stock bar up front and none in the back, maybe I can adjust the damping to compensate till I get a front bar upgradge?
    Hmm, you have been to what, three autocross races and you're ready to spend $950 on some shocks and springs?!?! Might as well go with some Ohlins.

Makes you wonder how the rest of us are so competitive on nothing better than Koni Sports.

Are you suggesting I just get the basics? Like we talked about earlier.

I'm sure if Brett's shocks weren't dead he would of continued to autocross with the stock shocks. However since they are blown he might as well put something good in. I'll help you out as always just bring your tools with you as you know my garage.

You know what they say about opinions...

Buy what you want and can afford. If I was able to spend the money, I would have a set on my car right now, and I don't autcross or do open track.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Hmm, you have been to what, three autocross races and you're ready to spend $950 on some shocks and springs?!?! Might as well go with some Ohlins.

Makes you wonder how the rest of us are so competitive on nothing better than Koni Sports.
    Or OEM 165,000 mile bilsteins.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Give Brett a break. I'm sure his stock shocks are toasted by now. The TEINs seem to work great on my autocross car. Trust me, I wish I didn't care about SCCA classing b/c I'd love to have some coilovers on the RX-8 (and a bigger rear sway bar).

Not everybody has the same priorities.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post

I gotta agree with jrj512 on this one, bigger front sway bar and more seat time may be a better start especially with the autocross season pretty much ending this month.

Heck save you pennies and get your fancy shocks & springs after the Holiday rush and get the TEIN Flex setup rather than the I could almost afford the Flex setup. Plus a Porche AX school or Evolution AX school is always a great way to start the season!

YMMV see dealer for details!

Have you guys thought about the fact that somebody might want to buy coilovers for the street. He might not care about autocross that much, or he'd probably be at more events.

Not everybody is fixated on the competitive aspect of autocross. I've never heard Brett whine about being slower than anybody else. He just always looks like he's having a good time out there.

POS is right though. The PCA autocross schools are about the best bang for your buck in the DFW area. Evolution is great too, but pretty pricey.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Have you guys thought about the fact that somebody might want to buy coilovers for the street. He might not care about autocross that much, or he'd probably be at more events.

Not everybody is fixated on the competitive aspect of autocross. I've never heard Brett whine about being slower than anybody else. He just always looks like he's having a good time out there.
    Geez amp down sparky, did ya read my post??

Didn't mean to sound angry or anything. I just think we've got a different view of autocrossing than a lot of people. The competition is what draws me to autocross.

It wasn't so much you, but jrj512s post.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Didn't mean to sound angry or anything. I just think we've got a different view of autocrossing than a lot of people. The competition is what draws me to autocross.

It wasn't so much you, but jrj512s post.
    Hater!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Geez amp down sparky, did ya read my post??
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post

Heck save you pennies and get your fancy shocks & springs after the Holiday rush and get the TEIN Flex setup rather than the I could almost afford the Flex setup. Plus a Porche AX school or Evolution AX school is always a great way to start the season!

YMMV see dealer for details!
    No makin' no cents:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    No makin' no cents:
    Get the TEIN Flex setup rather than the I could almost afford the Flex setup.

He is looking at the SS (AKA. TEIN Super Street) setup isn't the Flex a better setup??

http://www.trackdogracing.com/websit...nsion/tein.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast