Thread: I'm hot!

Default I'm hot!

Got overheating problems. Ran at ECR today. First session, first couple of laps , I was able (unintentional) to lock the front wheels. After a couple more laps the brakes started to go. By the second session after several laps I was pumping like mad to get anything. Car has ATE DOT4, New Porterfield R4S, and FM slotted rotors.

Other issue, after a lap and a half the temps would hit 230 and the car would go into shutdown mode. Added water wetter and it has an aluminum FM radiator, 13lb cap, not sure on thermostat.

Thoughts?

Are you running any type of FA? It was warm yesterday.

On the cooling side, I'd flush the radiator and replace the t-stat and cap for starters. Cheap insurance, and you never know when it was last changed.

As for the brakes, get that ATE crap out of the lines and invest in some real brake fluid. like Motul or Castrol SRF.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I agree on the ATE. It is coming out this weekend. I am going to try Hawk Blue before I drop coin on BBK.

Has any one added an oil cooler?

What about an opening in the nose to let air in? High enough it should bypass the IC. I could duct it to the radiator.

What is FA?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    What is FA?
    Fuel Additive?

I agree on the ATE. It is coming out this weekend. I am going to try Hawk Blue before I drop coin on BBK.
    If Spec Miatas can go 25 hours straight on factory brakes with nothing but a pad, fluid, and line upgrade, you don’t need a BBK to track your turbo Miata for twenty minute sessions. Does the car have the original 1.6L brakes? If so, upgrading to 1.8L brakes will be an improvement (‘01+ “big” brakes are even better). Junkyards are your friend, or you might contact Gary at Track Dog Racing about the brakes off of one of his parts cars.

Has any one added an oil cooler?
    Might not be a bad idea. Let me also be the first to suggest overfilling the oil by about a half quart. Your bearings will thank you. Don’t ask me how I found this out.

What about an opening in the nose to let air in? High enough it should bypass the IC. I could duct it to the radiator.

What is FA?
    I think he meant to say "FI".

Does the car have the factory splash shield installed? If not, that can cause airflow management issues on the track and lead to overheating. Otherwise, you might be better off venting the hood to improve airflow before you add any more openings to the front of the car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Everything Iain said and make certain that you use distilled water with that aluminum radiator. Worst case scenario could be that the previous owner didn't use distilled water and you have a lot of scale buildup in the radiator.

I use Hawk Blues on the track with Motul RBF600 and stainless brake lines and i'm n/a. You'll definitely want to upgrade to stainless lines and the motul, especially if you decide to run r-comps. You can get both from Gary@trackdog.

You might consider cutting hole like the one on this turbo miata.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am going to do the following this weekend:
    - Suspension (not relative to cooling, brakes?)
    - Empty and fill radiator with 80% distilled water, remaining with antifreeze and water wetter.
    - Replace all cooling hoses
    - Change to 26psi radiator cap
    - Replace brake pads with Hawk Blue
    - Motul 600

I just don't want to buy a BBK piece by piece.

- Empty and fill radiator with 80% distilled water, remaining with antifreeze and water wetter.
    - Replace all cooling hoses
    - Change to 26psi radiator cap
    - Replace brake pads with Hawk Blue
    - Motul 600

I just don't want to buy a BBK piece by piece.
    Great start!

You don't need a BBK!

So what suspension did you opt for?
    Iain

Bils with 500F & 325R springs, FCM mounts.

I picked a 1.8 front brake set from Gary too.

I will also seal off as much of the intake around the radiator.

Update:
    Tons of work. I made a heat shield like the FM one out of aluminum. Not too shabby. Enclosed the area around the radiator. Wired the fans to be controlled by the Link. Add a TDR top panel. Made ducts from the signal intakes to feed into the nose area to the radiator. Thinking about these http://fatcatmotorsports.com/fanshroud.htm.
    comments?

Can you say OVER BRAKING????????
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Update:
    Tons of work. I made a heat shield like the FM one out of aluminum. Not too shabby. Enclosed the area around the radiator. Wired the fans to be controlled by the Link. Add a TDR top panel. Made ducts from the signal intakes to feed into the nose area to the radiator. Thinking about these http://fatcatmotorsports.com/fanshroud.htm.
    comments?
    Sounds like you're putting an awful lot of time into a car you're trying to sell.

When ya headed back out to ECR?
    Iain

I want it to be right for the next buyer. It would suck to buy a car with issues.

Don't know. I will be at MSR for all the Apex events. I shoot you a message. You coming out to run with Apex?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Can you say OVER BRAKING????????
    Should not have used RS4 on the track. What do the Spec guys run?

I want it to be right for the next buyer. It would suck to buy a car with issues.

Don't know. I will be at MSR for all the Apex events. I shoot you a message. You coming out to run with Apex?
    Ya know, I wasn't planning on it, but I might have to go to MSR on 3/1 instead of the BMWCCA event. My wife is in NYC that weekend, so I might as well have some fun while she's gone.

You already signed up for this one?
    Iain