Thread: Is this evil?

Default Is this evil?

The last 4 times I have bought something the total come out exactly even.

Lunch $8.00

Groceries $40.00

Candy and drink at gas station $3.00

Beer $20.00 (celebrating St Patricks day last night)

It's like I'm in a parallel universe where change does not exist...
    Last edited by Mathews2004; 03-18-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: sp

Wouldn't it be nice if they got rid of pennies? As far as I'm concerned, they could eliminate nickels and dimes while they are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if they got rid of pennies? As far as I'm concerned, they could eliminate nickels and dimes while they are at it.
    The way things are going, we'll be able to get rid of quarters, half dollars and ones before long...
    '96 M-edition

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    The way things are going, we'll be able to get rid of quarters, half dollars and ones before long...
    You may be right.

Mathews2004, you may be right, but it sure makes your checkbook easier to reconcile.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

As long as it's not totaling $6.66 I guess you're okay
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if they got rid of pennies?
    Australia did that years ago. I couldn't agree more...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    As long as it's not totaling $6.66 I guess you're okay
    That was the total of my lunch yesterday
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

maybe its not evil, maybe I should head to Vegas!

Next time you want a dime, please let me know to get the dollar from you!
    Gabriel

Considering the price of copper, just save all of your pennies and cash them in. You get more for them in weight than you do in govt. placed value!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Considering the price of copper, just save all of your pennies and cash them in. You get more for them in weight than you do in govt. placed value!
    There is not much copper in modern pennies. The wheat pennies are probably more valuable though.

The 1943 penny is a real copper penny worth about $80,000.00. Though some of these dozen beauties have sold as low as $10,000 the highest price given is a recorded $112,500 as late as 1999. One would think the $80,000 valuation should be adjusted. Times changing as they are, these pennies might fetch many times the $112,500 price to a museum only a generation or two from now. This is the most valuable collectible penny you have a real chance of scoring in a search of any old pennies. Copper you ask? But weren't the 1943 pennies all steel and coated with zinc due to the need to save copper for the war effort? Yes all but the first 12 minted which were minted from the copper already in the machine. Follow me into the vast history of the 1943 "Copper" pennies.

Likely the first 1943 copper penny discovered was noted among a handful of pocket change around 1947. There was another discovery later that year which gained quite a bit of notoriety. The government in the form of the Philadelphia Mint denied there were any 1943 coppers as late as 1947. We're not certain there were only 12 but that there were about 12 copper 1943 pennies known to have been minted by accident, when copper blanks (from which pennies are pressed) were used which were unwittingly left in the press hopper when production started on the new pennies of zinc coated steel.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    There is not much copper in modern pennies. The wheat pennies are probably more valuable though.
    <iain rant>
    Current pennies are made from copper electroplated zinc planchettes. They are a PITA for metal detecting enthusiasts as they start to decay almost immediately upon contact with the ground. Those enthusiasts have started calling them Zincolns.

On the plus side - they deteriorate so fast that coin collections will be worth more.

So... Copper pennies were phased out in 1982. Pennies before 1982 were copper with a hint of zinc. Pennies after were zinc with a hint of copper. 1982 was the crossover year. You can tell which ones are which from 1982 by using a scale and weighing them. The zinc ones are slightly lighter.

Or you can cheat and use a metal detector. Most detectors with an audio discriminator circuit will display the copper cents as penny/dime while displaying the zinc cents as a screwcap.

</iain rant>
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!