Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics from Indy 500 Pole Day 2008

Default Pics from Indy 500 Pole Day 2008

Sunday on Memorial Day weekend is the big race. Saturday of Mother's Day weekend was the Pole qualifications day. Only 11 cars can qualify that day in the field of 33 on race day. $100,000 dollars goes to the pole winner.

I'm standing on top of the infield grandstand, front stretch toward the exit of pit lane. These are pictures of Turns 1 and 2 of the famed two and a half mile oval. The last one is a 12X zoom of Turn 2 which is about three quarters of a mile away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More

Turns 3 and 4. The empty grandstand behind "Race Capitol of the World" is 3 with a 12X zoom about a mile away. Turn 4 exits onto the front stretch and is a good spot for wrecks.

Default More

A car coming into the garage area. This is called Gasoline Alley.

Default More

These are various pit shots. Was surprised to see a movie as a car sponsor; especially this one since it doesn't need advertising. BTW the Motorola car is Danica Patrick's.
    Last edited by Nails; 05-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Default More

This is the Pagoda which sits at the finish line. The line is a row of original bricks that actually goes all the way into the Pagoda. The whole track used to be made of bricks hence the nick name "The Brick Yard". The podium is above Victory Lane just to the left of the Pagoda.

Default More

The Borg Warner Trophy. The winner of the race will have his face put on it at the base as all previous winners have. Sorry I couldn't get a sharper image but I was getting into digital zoom and it was hand held. Those bumps on the trophy are the faces.

Default More

When no one is trying to qualify the track is open for practice. They call yellow flags for track inspections and to clear for qualifying.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Brings back memories. My son and I got an all expense paid (after we flew into Dayton) trip to the '87 Indy 500. We sat in turn 4 where we could look down the front straight waaaaaay down to turn 1.

That was the year that the run-away wheel and tire killed a spectator in turn 3.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Default More

Ryan Briscoe, driving for Penske gets the pole. Musta been those sweet wheels.
    Last edited by Nails; 05-23-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like fun!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Default More

Then about 15 minutes later Ganassi's Target car with Scott Dixon gets the pole and ends up keeping it.
    Last edited by Nails; 05-23-2008 at 02:45 PM.

226.366 mph was Dixon's four lap average to qualify. At that speed he was moving about 333 feet per second, more than a football field. It takes less than 40 seconds to make one 2.5 mile lap. If you drove your Miata out of turn four at 60 mph and held it at 60 to the entrance of turn one and Dixon started out of turn four next to you at 226 he would go all the way around the track and lap you before you got to turn one. If you've been to Texas Motor Speedway that track is a mile and a half and small by comparison. Pictures, words, even tv doesn't do justice to the size and the speeds of this event. If you ever get a chance to see it in real life you'll know what I mean.
    Hope you enjoyed the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Brings back memories. My son and I got an all expense paid (after we flew into Dayton) trip to the '87 Indy 500. We sat in turn 4 where we could look down the front straight waaaaaay down to turn 1.

That was the year that the run-away wheel and tire killed a spectator in turn 3.

Yea I vaguely remember that. I was there this year with my father. The track's changed alot since the '80's and '90s. They put grass strips in between the track and the acceleration lane to try to slow 'em down. They beefed up the outside wall for NASCAR. The Pagoda is new. They added road course in the infield for Formula 1 and a few holes of a PGA golf course too.

I remember like it was yesterday, at the 1st "Miatas at Indy" when we drove thru the tunnel. I gave me the chillls. Then, driving the track did it again, just remembering all the famous drivers that crossed the bricks.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Today is Carb day

I saw an interview with one of the drivers. He was asked about the history, tradition and importance of the race and was saying all the standard stuff as he described coming to Indy, being in Gasoline Alley and pit lane. Then he finally talked about going out of the pits for his first lap. He said when he crossed the "brick yard" the first time he really got excited.

I couldn't help wonder if it was his English that made him refer to the Start/Finish line as the brick yard or his lack of understanding of the history of the track. Jack Arute let it go either way.

I was there two years in a row in the mid-60's. Yes, they had cars back then. Get off my lawn ya punks!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Yea I vaguely remember that. ......
    A front wheel came off a car going into 3. It caught up with the rear wheel of the car in front and was launched like a mortar shell. It cleared the catch fence and the bleachers. But, some unlucky guy was standing up on the top row and was hit in the head by the tire. I think it broke his neck.

I was surprised at how large the holes were in the catch fence in turn 4. There were some crashes in turn 4, but nothing came through the fence.

I'd love to go again. Maybe, some day.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

That is such a cool place. I always try to include a visit when I'm up there on bidness. Come to think of it, I think my last visit was May 2004.

I watched the whole race Sunday. It was the first one I have sat down to watch in at least 15 years, and I am glad I did. I was a little disappointed at how Dixon pulled away from Vitor and Marco at the end there, as I was hoping it would be a more exciting finish. I enjoyed seeing security chase Danica on her pissed march through the pits.

Default I watched it all too.

Carazzie went shopping with her daughter Sunday afternoon so I stayed home and chillaxed with some beers and watched the greatest spectacle in racing.

Was first time I watched the race in it's entirety since before the split 'tween Tony George and Roger Penske. Was pretty good race but I felt bad for Danica getting hit by Briscoe. Was funny seeing large men stop her short of Penske's pits. I felt heartsick for Sarah Fisher. Poor thing was stood up by sponsors and she went into debt out of pocket to finance her team. On top of that she spun out and stalled during a yellow while trying to warm her tires in turn four.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Carazzie went shopping with her daughter Sunday afternoon so I stayed home and chillaxed with some beers and watched the greatest spectacle in racing.

Was first time I watched the race in it's entirety since before the split 'tween Tony George and Roger Penske. Was pretty good race but I felt bad for Danica getting hit by Briscoe. Was funny seeing large men stop her short of Penske's pits. I felt heartsick for Sarah Fisher. Poor thing was stood up by sponsors and she went into debt out of pocket to finance her team. On top of that she spun out and stalled during a yellow while trying to warm her tires in turn four.
    I felt bad for Sarah too, but IMHO her on camera tears contrasted with Danica's march through the pits really highlighted the difference in the two woman. I think it is part of the the reason why there is such a huge difference in fan and sponsor base between the two (2nd to Danica Sex appeal of course). I actually yelled "There's no crying in racing" during the interview.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast