Thread: Angry man shoots lawn mower for not starting

Default Angry man shoots lawn mower for not starting

Take that, Lawn Boy!

According to the criminal complaint, Walendowski said he was angry because his Lawn Boy wouldn't start Wednesday morning. He told police quote, "I can do that, it's my lawn mower and my yard so I can shoot it if I want."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...le=1&catnum=-1

now he faces up to 11k in fines and 6 years in the big house. Hope the reger was elec.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Oh, I was wondering why he got such a harsh sentence when he shot his own mower on his own property. Stupid, but he didn't hurt anyone in the end and probably worthy of no more than a misdemeanor charge.

95% of the penalties are probably related to the weapons violations, not the act itself.

property rights, nobody's property was damaged but his own.
    things like this are just sad to me.
    Now he's in the system from which there is no escape, it's a good thing he's already old cause he will have a ruined life from here to the grave for shooting his property on his own land.
    The fact that we live in a society where everyone is a snitch, is also sad.
    We used to wait till someone did something illegal before we threw them in jail and destroyed their life, now it's just commonplace.
    99 Miata Black

He did not go to jail for shooting a lawn mower. He didn't even go to jail for discharging a weapon in a residential area (illegal in many parts of the country). His mistake was owning a sawed-off shotgun. I'm pretty sure that is illegal everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    He didn't even go to jail for discharging a weapon in a residential area (illegal in many parts of the country).
    This is the first thing I thought, btw where did you get the info on the shotgun?

I wouldnt want my neighbor firing a gun at the engine block of a mower in a residential area.

The chances of a ricochet is high.

It would be a shame if the bullet then struck someone in the next yard or worse penetrated the side of a structure and struck someone.

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    where did you get the info on the shotgun?
    The first sentence of the article linked to above states "felony possession of a short-barreled shotgun or rifle". In another article I read on the same incident, it described the weapon as a sawed-off shotgun.

6 years for having a illegal weapon!

He would get less if he had killed some one with it.

I used to work in the "Big House" and the vics would tell you...
    "If you rob a 7-11, kill the clerk, you will get less "time" for murder than armed robbery.
    This is just another prime example of how f-up our legal system is.

Uhm, is says he could face up to $11K and 6 years if convicted. That does not mean that he will automatically receive the max sentence. You are all getting bent out of shape over something that has not yet happened. I doubt the sentence will be anything near that.

He seems like such a pillar of the community, too. Such a shame.

I just don't see the problem with having a sawed off shotgun.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

He probably had that shotgun back when it WAS legal. And I'm not certain but for home protection I don't think it matteres if you have a sawed off shot gun or not.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    And I'm not certain but for home protection I don't think it matteres if you have a sawed off shot gun or not.
    It matters in Texas... there's a lot of rules concerning Class III weapons.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Blog Entries

That law goes back to the National Firearms Act of 1934. It was the first federal gun law and doesn't make much sense, just like every attempt at gun control since that time. It outlawed machine guns, explosive devices, shotguns with a barrel under 18" in length, rifles with a barrel less than 16" and set the first age restrictions on purchase. It didn't really make these weapons illegal, it made it illegal to manufacture or transfer these weapons without a required transfer fee and a special license (also a big fee). You can still purchase a machine gun or any other of the restricted guns by going through a Class III Federal Firearms dealer, filling out a stack of paperwork, going through a background check, telling the government where they will be stored, waiving your rights against search and seizure and allowing federal agents (BATFE) to inspect the weapon at any time day or night and of course paying a big fee. Where most people run afoul of this law is manufacturing their own Class III weapon (sawing off their own shotgun). Most of the states enacted similar legislation after the federal model. The purported reasoning behind this and all firearms laws since that time is "crime control".

If this lost soul had used a shotgun with a legal length barrel, we never would have heard of him and his troubles. He would only be guilty of a misdemeanor.
    Last edited by creek; 08-05-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.