Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPS Advice (not the shipper)

Default UPS Advice (not the shipper)

I am getting fed up with loosing my work when the power flashes off and on during thunderstorms (twice today), so I am looking to get a couple UPS devices to prevent the work stoppages. I figure I need 2-

1) A small one for upstairs that will handle my wireless modem and my wireless router.

2) A larger one in my office that will support a desktop PC, a laptop, a monitor, and a printer.

I don't care if they last 5 minutes of 5 hours on battery power, as long as they provide no interruptions during the 30 second outages that seem more common out here in the country.

I don't care if it communicates with the PC to start a shut-down, as I won't use that feature.

I do care about cost, as I really don't want to pay for features and functionality that I don't need.

Any of you hardware guys have any advice?

Here at the world headquarter we use the CyberPower Model CPS425SL.

They are cheap and work! We don't have them hooked up to shut down the computer or any of that fancy stuff!

Got over 10 minutes out of my desktop yesterday before I chickened out and shut down the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Here at the world headquarter we use the CyberPower Model CPS425SL.

They are cheap and work! We don't have them hooked up to shut down the computer or any of that fancy stuff!

Got over 10 minutes out of my desktop yesterday before I chickened out and shut down the computer.
    Cool... do you have just the desktop and monitor plugged in to it? I am wondering if I would be better off with one of thier bigger versions for the office?

I will check and see what I have at the house, but I have the G5, two monitors, printer, speakers and something else plugged into it and it provides 15 min of back up I think
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I will check and see what I have at the house, but I have the G5, two monitors, printer, speakers and something else plugged into it and it provides 15 min of back up I think
    When will you be home? Just happened again, so I am buying something tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Cool... do you have just the desktop and monitor plugged in to it? I am wondering if I would be better off with one of thier bigger versions for the office?
    Yep! 19" Gateway LCD and a old ass HP Pavillion Desktop PC!

Never have tested to see how long it will go on just the battery the box said up to 30 minutes.

I proved it would do 10 minutes yesterday was in the middle of a big Cog Quotation and had to get it done and e-mailed out!

BTW The wireless Router, DSL Modem and Vontage boxes are all on their own UPS.

Buy something with a replaceable battery (most of them) since frequently switching to battery - even for 3 or 4 seconds - will kill the battery within 12-18 months. You can get replacement batteries at Fry's or elsewhere and swap them out when it won't last long enough to get you through the brief outages.

I've been buying Belkin units for PC's, Liebert for the server room at work. If your monitor is LCD, anything over 300 VA will take care of ya. The one on my desk is labeled 375 VA and it's powering 3 PC's, 1 laptop, and 2 monitors, and it handles about 25-30 brownout events a day (same as a blackout for cheapo units).

CompUSA has a TrippLite for $40 - but i don't know if they'll have that item/price in the store in Plano or not. Didn't see anything exciting at bestbuy.com.

We buy these for employees that work at home... But if I recall, you got a one time allowance for hardware from your employer, so you I guess you're on your own. But, don't forget to save your receipts and write them off on the home office expense line.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

The BackUPS 350 should be plenty - same battery as the 550 - and should happily handle a PC + monitor(s) and a router.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Watch the Fry's adds... they'll sell the smaller APC's for $30-ish failrly often...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

+1 to Cyberpower; they make quality machines for VERY good prices. I'm using one right now All I've had to replace is the graphics card (it went out on me after about 3 years).
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Buy something with a replaceable battery (most of them) since frequently switching to battery - even for 3 or 4 seconds - will kill the battery within 12-18 months. You can get replacement batteries at Fry's or elsewhere and swap them out when it won't last long enough to get you through the brief outages.

I've been buying Belkin units for PC's, Liebert for the server room at work. If your monitor is LCD, anything over 300 VA will take care of ya. The one on my desk is labeled 375 VA and it's powering 3 PC's, 1 laptop, and 2 monitors, and it handles about 25-30 brownout events a day (same as a blackout for cheapo units).

CompUSA has a TrippLite for $40 - but i don't know if they'll have that item/price in the store in Plano or not. Didn't see anything exciting at bestbuy.com.

We buy these for employees that work at home... But if I recall, you got a one time allowance for hardware from your employer, so you I guess you're on your own. But, don't forget to save your receipts and write them off on the home office expense line.
    Thanks... I will likely stop by CompUSA and/or Fry's tonight and check out the TrippLite. I could probably order one through work but it would take me a week to jump through approval processes and get it delivered. I don't want to deal with another day like today so I am not going to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Watch the Fry's adds... they'll sell the smaller APC's for $30-ish failrly often...
    I was kinda wondering about that... Would explain why there are a couple of those at my house...

I got the Belkins for $23 each in 2005, though...

TITUS, I should be home by 5:30 and will call you
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I came in here looking for advice on overnighting things from Japan.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I came in here looking for advice on overnighting things from Japan.
    This guy can get you anything you need from Japan, apparently...

Last edited by Adam Payrot; 08-20-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: pwnt by tripod ftl
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I purchased a fairly good sized one for the TV as well. It also works as a backup for the floor lamp when the power stays off for a couple of hours. I can get about two to three hours on a 13 watt CFL on the floor lamp. Nice to see the neighbors wondering how you managed to have power without the noise of a gas generator.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I picked up an APC SMART-UPS 1000 for the computer room down at First Saturday for $10. Added in 2 new batteries and it's worked great for years. I'm on the 3rd set of batteries. I replace them every 2 years...

I've had it now for 4 years and a month.

Tanner's has replacement batteries that will fit many of the UPS models at a good price.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I picked up an APC SMART-UPS 1000 for the computer room down at First Saturday for $10. Added in 2 new batteries and it's worked great for years. I'm on the 3rd set of batteries. I replace them every 2 years...

I've had it now for 4 years and a month.

Tanner's has replacement batteries that will fit many of the UPS models at a good price.

RJ
    +1 on Tanners. That's where I got my replacement batteries for my 10 year old APC Back-UPS 500.

Make sure and bring in the old battery so you can compare terminal sizes.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I use the Tripp Lite line as the have insurance for free and will pay you if it fails and costs you money.
    99 Miata Black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast