Thread: Engine Light Staying on

Default Engine Light Staying on

Ok, here are the details. Not going to go spend 100 dollars at the dealership for them to tell me what autozone will tell me for free. So I went to autozone and they pluged in there computer and got the code. It is the sensor on the exhaust, o2 sensor I believe. Well long storry short engine light came on went off the next day. 3 days later it came on again and has stayed on. I have ran octane boost hoping maybe the sensor just got gunked up and could be cleaned up with a little better octane going through it but that didn't fix it.

I am needing to know how hard is it to replace this part as I really don't feel like paying a dealership a ton of money for something I can do myself for no more then the part cost and any special tool I may need to buy.

Post the exact code you got and you'll get a lot more help...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

If you can tell us the code it kicked we can even tell ya which of the 02 sensors is giving you the CEL (Check Engine Light).

Ok, here is the code. P0037 and then his computer also said it was the o2 sesnor heater circuit low-12 what ever that is.
    Last edited by amdman; 12-07-2008 at 07:08 PM.

The code for the heater circuit on the rear O2 sensor.

Ask for the O2 sensor loan-a-tool at Autozone it can make it a bit easier to get out.

How many miles on your '01??

It has around 43,000 miles on it. I recon I should by the manual for the car so I know exactly where this sensor is located then as well.

What performance issues is this sensor causing right now and what does this sensor do exactly?

I'd check the snap together plugs for the o2 sensors. There might be a bit of crud on one of the contacts. I'd put some dielectric grease on them first and see if that cures the prob before you pull the o2 sensor. If it is the sensor, POS Racing is spot on about bumming Auto Zone's loaner o2 socket. If I remember, there are two different sizes. Oh yeah, if you do have to pull the sensor, remember to undo the wiring harness where it plugs together. Makes things much easier.
    '08 GG/Blk GT 6M 2PR 1SP Eibach spring/sways Tenzo-R GF-7 wheels Good-win RS II w/glspak inserts " Save the Wave ! "

ok, will get the book tomorrow or the next day and try that greese idea first to see if that fixes it. If not then will goto plan B Thanks again for the info.

Dielectric grease is sometimes refered to as tune up grease or light bulb grease.
    '08 GG/Blk GT 6M 2PR 1SP Eibach spring/sways Tenzo-R GF-7 wheels Good-win RS II w/glspak inserts " Save the Wave ! "

Well I will try that to see what happens. Still wondering what does that sensor actually do and what perfomance issues is it causing, like fuel milage issues or what not?

Quote Originally Posted by amdman View Post
    Still wondering what does that sensor actually do and what perfomance issues is it causing, like fuel milage issues or what not?
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/question257.htm

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post

Ok, I know what an O2 sensor is for that wasn't what I was asking, I guess I should have made that a little clearer there.

I was wondering what the heck the heater circuit low-12 ment. No worries I found out and now my question has been answered.

Thanks for all the help, now if I have any issues trouble shooting or if need be replacing this sensor then I will jump on here and ask you guys to please lend me a hand. Hopefully I can figure it out, I have been pointed in the right direction and I usually can figure stuff out once I have a pointer. Well so I hope I can on this one LOL. Talk to you all soon and thanks again.

The second sensor does nothing but make sure the cat is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    The second sensor does nothing but make sure the cat is working.

...and prevent a CEL.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The secondary O2 sensor tells the ECU weather or not the catalytic converter is working.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Thank you for answering that question. I will check the connections and trace the wires to ensure they are all good and then use that greese on the ends and see if that fixes the engine light issue. If not then I replace the sensor.