Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CEL on my "new" '99

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Tom, or someone else?
    I can't say...

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a federally mandated law. Sounds like your friend got screwed... not suprising , if you're talking about who I think you are.
    I'm betting he is talking about who you think he is talking about.

What year was is her car? A fire extinguisher may now be a nice Christmas gift, all things considered!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    It's a '99. Nice ride too...
    If it has over 80K miles, it's not covered any longer. The owner would also have to take it to a Mazda dealer to get Mazda to warranty the cat.

So what was the culprit?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    It's a '99. Nice ride too...
    Yeah... but what about the car?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What year was is her car? A fire extinguisher may now be a nice Christmas gift, all things considered!
    I don't care who ya are, that's just funny!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Here was part of the problem. mmmmmmm...crunchy intake! The EGR port was plugged badly too. Nice and clean now!

SAMMM,
    Were you able to get a copy of the 'warranty report' from the dealer?
    Any new info there?

Also, when cleaning that manifold, its the small holes that are the dirtiest- and the hardest to clean.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    SAMMM,
    Were you able to get a copy of the 'warranty report' from the dealer?
    I forgot all about that! I'll call them this morning and see if I can get a copy.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

We should make bets for the next CEL...
    What day did you have in the pool? CEL back on this morning. Luckily I took it and got it inspected yesterday, so at least that's behind me. Back to VatoZone for OBD reading. Any bets on the coil pack?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    We should make bets for the next CEL...
    What day did you have in the pool? CEL back on this morning. Luckily I took it and got it inspected yesterday, so at least that's behind me. Back to VatoZone for OBD reading. Any bets on the coil pack?
    It sure looks like the coil pack. But the CEL came on sooner than I expected. I was gonna give about a week and a 1/2.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

And the winner is.......P0402 (Excessive EGR flow)

Ton's of hits on the board. I'm going to try pulling the intake off again and re-check/re-clean the EGR port (especially the small port that's on the inside of the intake). I read where a few people recommended using a zip tie to help clean out that port since it has a few twists & turns in it.

And the winner is.......P0402 (Excessive EGR flow)

Ton's of hits on the board. I'm going to try pulling the intake off again and re-check/re-clean the EGR port (especially the small port that's on the inside of the intake). I read where a few people recommended using a zip tie to help clean out that port since it has a few twists & turns in it.
    FYI- you are not going to get a code that says, "Hey! you gotta a bad coil pack." It will cause other problems and throw those codes. Other codes like P0402-Excessive EGR flow, and its friend P0420- 'ecessive flow EGR.'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

FYI- you are not going to get a code that says, "Hey! you gotta a bad coil pack."
    Are you sure? :P I don't have any of the other symptoms (yet). Running on 2 cyls, mis-firing, flashing CEL. Just looking for the easiest (cheapest) way out.

FYI- you are not going to get a code that says, "Hey! you gotta a bad coil pack."
    Are you sure? :P I don't have any of the other symptoms (yet). Running on 2 cyls, mis-firing, flashing CEL. Just looking for the easiest (cheapest) way out.
    For me, it threw these other codes until total meltdown.
    I got all these codes, over and over. The dealer replaced wires and plugs (3) times, then (2) 's, then it finally stopped running (well).
    I didn't clean the intake manifold until a year after it was fixed- even tho those were the codes I was getting during my problems. I didn't get a code when I cleaned it. I just wanted it clean.

It's just a matter of time....

SAMMM, What's the latest word on your CEL? On...Off....still re-occuring?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast