Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A place to get a new soft top

R speed now has tops CHEAP. They claim to be jut as good or better than the Robbins tops. I've now had 3 robins tops and I can say they are just ok. So I'll be getting an R Speed when the time comes. My crappy Robins economy top lasted all of 3-4 years before it fell apart. I have a Robins OEM equal top on my car now that took about 8 years to fall apart, but the price is too much for when is started to fall apart (4 years ago)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I just installed an OEM 99 top on a 92 and had the same problem. What I with BR's help have found out is the rear most support bow was not pulling forward when the top was going down. If you pull that bow to the front of the car, it will fold smooth as silk. For some reason my NB top has no prob with this, but some of the other members here have to do the same thing.
    The early 99s had this issue. On my car I have to push that bar forward when I open the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    I just installed an OEM 99 top on a 92 and had the same problem. What I with BR's help have found out is the rear most support bow was not pulling forward when the top was going down. If you pull that bow to the front of the car, it will fold smooth as silk. For some reason my NB top has no prob with this, but some of the other members here have to do the same thing.
    That seems to be the same problem I'm having. I tried pushing the third bow up to meet the second one, but it's catching on something and doesn't quite make it there. It pinches the top material between the two bows.

So far, my impression is that this is a poorly designed top. I hope a little fiddling with the bows or support straps will remedy this, but I don't trust myself to do the fiddling.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Are the support straps wrapped around the rear bow and hanging it up?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

They're not wrapped around the third bow, just riveted to it.

Here's a link to my thread on CR.net about it, with pics: http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum...ad.php?t=21795

On the bright side, the top fits really well when it's up, and doesn't leak at all.

From what I'm hearing, I'm starting to think it's an issue with the design of the top frame. So now I'm wondering if it's possible to modify my NA frame to operate like a late-NB frame.

That's really weird. It looks like the top fabric is getting bunched up between the last two bows and not allowing the window to flop down. You don't have any pics of the inside of the top when it's halfway down, do you?

I know my rear bow will catch on the seam that runs over the top of the top and keep the top from going down. It also catches coming back up and needs help to pop back into place under said seam.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. I just can't figure out why. I wonder if the spring assemblies from the NB top can be retrofitted, and if they'd help.

I've got an inside pic on my computer at home. I'll post it later on tonight.

I have to say though, with the rain we're getting I'm thankful that the top is stuck up instead of down.

Tire Warmer

Default Sunfast Canvas top

I am interested in getting a new tan canvas top to replace my factory 1993 vinyl black top. I'm looking at the Moss website, and part #239-041 for $650. Any advice on this product choice and or a place to get it installed is welcome.
    I do want tan, and canvas, and I think I want the defroster, as I enjoy that in my hard top.
    Freeman Mazda ruined my plastic window by running the car through a car wash years ago, so has offered to do the labor for $500 instead of $700.

Call Stevan at Miata Solutions he does a lot of tops and he is good people!

http://www.miatasolutions.com/

Tire Warmer

Oh my gosh that place is in Egypt! Texas Motor Speedway?! Thank you, but I just don't think I can justify driving to the end of the earth!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by crystalwhite93 View Post
    Oh my gosh that place is in Egypt! Texas Motor Speedway?! Thank you, but I just don't think I can justify driving to the end of the earth!
    It's actually West Egypt.

PS
    Start a new thread...it's fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12