Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Helmets

I bought my last one -- this is going to date me -- by mail order before the internet was big. The place I ordered from had me measure my head, then helped me select a sized helmet. It fit great.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    I bought my last one -- this is going to date me -- by mail order before the internet was big. The place I ordered from had me measure my head, then helped me select a sized helmet. It fit great.

Chuck
    I was actually reviewing the sizing instructions on Bell's site, measuring my head as you were when I noticed that there was no Tourlite listed.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    It's fairly light (don't know exactly how much it weighs) and well padded. 2 small round vents on the back side. For the money and what it will be used for, it's hard to go wrong IMHO.
    Im guessing these are M2000, I didnt see it on the website.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

^??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I just saw this in the new FAQ on the SCCA site:

What else do I need?
    For the beginner, the only thing you absolutely must bring with you is your entry fee ($30 non-members/$20 members) and driver's license. You are required to use a helmet on course, but we usually have limited loaners available. As you enter more events, you may wish to purchase your own helmet. Currently, any Snell rated M85 or SA85 or newer helmet is acceptable. Helmets only DOT rated are not acceptable.
    I'm guessing that that's a cut-'n-paste error from an old document. Aren't SA85 helmets no longer current?

Chuck

So this got me to thinking about the whole helmet thing again, and I did a little "armchair internet research..." Some interesting stuff:

http://www.windycitybmw.com/articles...HelmetInfo.asp
    This is a nice article on the history of the Snell Foundation, how it came about, etc.

http://www.smf.org/
    Here's the Snell Memorial Foundation itself, with lots of great information including...

http://www.smf.org/internet_helmets.htm
    ...an interesting bit on buying helmets on the internet. (They're not entirely against it, but they encourage you to give the local guy a try.)

And an interesting answer to the "What's the difference between the SA and M ratings?" question:

Quote Originally Posted by SMF FAQ
    SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:

- SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;

- SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);

- SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.

The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.
    So there 'ya go. As for me, I've got to get off my azz and get mine. I think I'm going to go with the Simpson LX (SA version), but I'm not sure whether to order online or look for a local dealer. Anyone have any ideas who might carry them? $226 is the best I've found online, and the normal price seems to be around $290. (Ouch!) Getting tempted to measure my head well and go for the online order.

Chuck

Chuck -

Just an FYI, but if you liked your old Bell, a Simpson might not be for you. I went looking for a Bell M3 when it came time to replace helmets two years ago. However, I ended up with a Simpson Super Bandit, because the Bell and Simpson fit very different. Simpson suited my head just fine, while Bell did not. You may have the opposite experience, so I wouldn't encourage you to order a Simpson helmet online be fore trying one on unless the shop had a return policy.

There is a small motorsports shop in North Dallas just behind TI that carries a limited selection of both Simpson and Bell helmets. Unfortunately, I can never remember the name of the place (I've just sent an email to the Maverick PCA mailing list asking them to help jog my memory). Maybe someone else can chime in with the name?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    There is a small motorsports shop in North Dallas just behind TI that carries a limited selection of both Simpson and Bell helmets. Maybe someone else can chime in with the name?
    ?? Motor Sport Sales at 13520 TI Boulevard (972) 644-2533 ?? It's in like a shopping strip....
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Thanks guys. I don't know why, but I can never remember the name of that place.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Thanks guys. I don't know why, but I can never remember the name of that place.
    Understandable. It isn't your run-of-the-mill, ordinary, tell-it-like-it-is, state your business kinda name
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

I called Motorsport Sales. At first there was only a long-winded message about how important I was and that they'd "return my call the next time they walked by the phone."

So I tried back a little later, and a nice guy answered. He was friendly, but he flat refused to tell me whether they had the Simpson helmet I wanted in stock. It was weird.

Me: Do you stock the Simpson LX in Nomex?
    Him: We might. If we don't, we can order it. You should just come in.

Me: It's a drive for me. Could you check to see if you have it in stock?
    Him: We might. Just come in and we'll measure you and order it if we need to.

Me: The reason I'm considering buying locally is so I can try it on.
    Him: We might have it. If not it's only two days.

Me: Can you check?
    Him: We might have it.

Wow.

Chuck

Yup... you dialed the right number... Just wait til you see the place... <humming the theme from Deliverance>dee duh dee dee dee dum dee dee dah</humming>

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Yup... you dialed the right number... Just wait til you see the place... <humming the theme from Deliverance>dee duh dee dee dee dum dee dee dah</humming>
    That's if I go... The helmet's easily $70 cheaper via the internet, so if I'm going to take the risk and measure I'll just do that.

I discovered that Simpson's located in New Braunfels. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can beat a local dealer list out of 'em.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Hahahahaha!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123