Thread: Link owners chime in here

Default Link owners chime in here

OK, I'm new to driving with a Link. I just had my car inspected and of course the link isn't ODBII compatable. Fortunately I know someone in the business, and was able to push my car through a passing grade. But my question is how are you guys getting your cars inspected?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Default Re: Link owners chime in here

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    OK, I'm new to driving with a Link. I just had my car inspected and of course the link isn't ODBII compatable. Fortunately I know someone in the business, and was able to push my car through a passing grade. But my question is how are you guys getting your cars inspected?
    It was my understanding that you don't have to hook up and provide OBDII codes on vehicles earlier than '95. For example, my '93 Miata gets the tailpipe sensor treatment while my '96 gets the cable.

Did they use the cable on your '90?

Chuck

Sniffer test here. I BARELY passed because I was running RICH. I think the LINK owners should get together to try and better understand this tool.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    It was my understanding that you don't have to hook up and provide OBDII codes on vehicles earlier than '95. For example, my '93 Miata gets the tailpipe sensor treatment while my '96 gets the cable.

Did they use the cable on your '90?

Chuck
    I'm thinking he's talking about his '97 Black FM2, not his '90.

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    I believe that's correct.

i take it you have the full link standalone versus the piggy back that is available for the obd2 cars now. i know FM did a trade in deal when they came out to swap for a piggy back, but the full standalone is better imo. You just need to know someone basically. and any obd2 car can do the plug in if they enter your vin and info, then plug the computer into another car. voila sticker with your cars numbers. not legal really.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    Sniffer test here. I BARELY passed because I was running RICH. I think the LINK owners should get together to try and better understand this tool.
    I'd be interested in that!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I had no problems. Went to get inspected, it returned no codes to on to the rollers it went. I passed without a problem, just got a letter that said my car may still be covered by an emissions warrenty. If you are running rich you can lower your master fuel a few points, this should make it leaner. Just make sure you put it back before you drive off. If your link is tuned properly then you shouldn't have any problems.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Yea, I'm referring to the '97. I don't have a Link on the '90 and is always passes.

On the '97 it is an ODBII car. My inspector told me '97 and up just get the cable. Problem is my Link (its a stand-alone, not a Piggy-back) doesn't give any ODBII codes. It didn't talk to the machine at all, and the Check-engine light never comes on, as it isn't hooked up to anything. Last night I read this:
    http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimateb...=027209#000000
    and this:
    http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimateb...=028281#000000

And to think I just sold my old injectors But to be honest, there is no way in hell I'd swap the computer and the injectors everytime I needed to get an inspection, There is always someone who will pass it for you just like it is.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

its 96 and up, i got the cable too. so i can run an o2 sim with a piggy back and be fine.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Sorry about the confusion. I saw the earlier car in your sig and thought you were talking about it!

Yeah, my '96 gets the cable, too. I figured if I ever go FI, it'll be with the '93 to avoid the mess.

Chuck

Duane,
    Download the latest Link tuning and install manuals from FM. They tell you how to make the check engine light come on when you turn the key to on so it will pass that test. FM was running a decent trade in program for the OBDII Link. This is what I did, as the OBDII Link has some unique features. Again if it returns nothing with the cable then they should put you on the dyno.

If it all goes down the tube you have to swap out the ecu and injectors. Again this is where the OBDII Link is nice since it is plug and play. Honestly just get it tuned properly, use a wideband, and you shouldn't have any problems. Oh and the OBDII link can auto tune with a wideband so it can make your life real easy, but then again you guys are CB's

Well I've found out that my car has the 94-95 Link that has been retrofitted into my '97. I've talked with FM and they say I should stick with what I've got, just update the chip ($30) add an intake temp sensor ($125.00 ) and a wideband sensor ($300 ) and my car will run perfect. Then I should be able to pass inspections on the dyno instead of the OBDII cable.

The car is running fine, so I'm not so inclined to upgrade just yet. However, I'll keep my eyes open for a used Wideband & Intake temp sensors.

I know you are a CB, but I would invest in the new chip and intake temp sensor. This will help your car a lot and add a margin of safety. The wideband is one of those things you can do without if you want and I think Gary even rents them for tuninig purposes. I just bought one since it is one more cool toy