Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers Training

Question Drivers Training

My daughter has her learners permit and we are doing the Online & Parent Taught Drivers training.

She is doing really well with the driving part.

We started out in parking lots before she got her permit and got the basics down.

Since she got her permit she has logged a ton of hours behind the wheel in all conditions rain, dark, traffic, freeway, & country roads. I'm trying to let her get a feel for as many of the real world variables as I can. I feel seat time is the key to being a good and safe driver.

I do plan to sign her up for BMW's Street Survival but that's not till spring.

She also has to participate in Autocross next season in an effort to make her a better and safer driver.

My question to you guys is when you were learning to drive did you do anything that stuck in your mind as being beneficial to being a better driver?

My Mom was the City Attorney for a fairly small city where we lived (McAllen) so she told all her police friends what I drove.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    My question to you guys is when you were learning to drive did you do anything that stuck in your mind as being beneficial to being a better driver?
    Had to pay for my own gas when borrowing dad's truck.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

My aunt was the secretary to the Chief of Police. She took care of my tickets . . . KK's Mom can do the same, I'm sure.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

A Lincoln Town Car is better as a straight line car then it is at making turns. Also mailboxes don't stand a chance with a car that size.
    M3 is always the answer.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Actually, driving around on sandy roads is a fond memory. I learned to drift before anybody knew what it was. We called it dirttracking back then.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Don't put it in park while you're still moving. I'll never forget the look my dad gave me.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Snowy/icey parking lots are a great place to learn car control at low speeds. Street Survival does similar by soaping down a section of the Bus Lot.

The SCCA AX school would help. I am trying to get the to attend, so maybe her and your daughter can be BFFs there.

Passing on a two lane highway is a skill to learn.

Maybe take her to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth during a busy time. That way, she can get used to yeilding to pedestrians when her light is green and learning to look for one-way streets.

Teach her to read the block numbers on street signs.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Snowy/icey parking lots are a great place to learn car control at low speeds. Street Survival does similar by soaping down a section of the Bus Lot.

The SCCA AX school would help. I am trying to get the to attend, so maybe her and your daughter can be BFFs there.

Passing on a two lane highway is a skill to learn.

Maybe take her to downtown Dallas or Fort Worth during a busy time. That way, she can get used to yeilding to pedestrians when her light is green and learning to look for one-way streets.

Teach her to read the block numbers on street signs.
    +1 on the icy driving. Keep an eye out this winter and try and find an icy parking lot to practice in. Better there than on a road w/no experience for the first time.

I'm sure you've also done the panic stop practice in the parking lot too. Good idea to get them used to both abs and non-abs panic stops. Just for giggles, do the key off situation so she can understand what happens to ps/pb if the engine should die for some reason.

Imbed in her mind "I'm ok, you're so-so" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    Imbed in her mind "I'm ok, you're so-so" mentality.
    POS is her dad, she has thought that her whole life.

Don't shift an auto transmission into R when your doing 60 mph.

The turbo 400 transmission was OK afterwards, but it was an interesting few seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

The turbo 400 transmission was OK afterwards, but it was an interesting few seconds
    +1, but the Acura Legend transmission was not so lucky. I would have been a dead man if Acura hadn't decided to cover it even though the car was 1k miles out of warranty.

Chassis Designer

Being from Chicago, I totally support the icy/snow covered parking lot suggestions. The best tip I've heard of is the little doll for the dashboard with the "Icky" name tag (Impatience Can Kill You). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Don't put it in park while you're still moving. I'll never forget the look my dad gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    +1, but the Acura Legend transmission was not so lucky. I would have been a dead man if Acura hadn't decided to cover it even though the car was 1k miles out of warranty.
    Sheesh...
    What is it with all of these people and slushboxes on a Miata Forum! Bunch of
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Make sure she knows how to merge. It's a lost art for 95% of the drivers around here. Dang idiots jam up the freeways with their get-on-zit speed of 50mph!
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Sheesh...
    What is it with all of these people and slushboxes on a Miata Forum! Bunch of
    Even at 16, I drove a MT... I just happened to be in Dad's car that night as mine was in the shop getting a new clutch thanks to the previous weekend's hijinks.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I did that in dad's '72 (maybe '73) Pinto wagon. Not doing 60, but probably around 40. Car just died, but started right back up and kept going. It had the sweet 3-speed automatic console shifter and I was driving it like a manual.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Even at 16, I drove a MT...
    3-on-the-tree was the true manual. That was one of the first things I drove. Grampa M's truck.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I did that in dad's '72 (maybe '73) Pinto wagon. Not doing 60, but probably around 40. Car just died, but started right back up and kept going. It had the sweet 3-speed automatic console shifter and I was driving it like a manual.
    No way a Pinto did 60.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    3-on-the-tree was the true manual. That was one of the first things I drove. Grampa M's truck.
    Your Grandpa had an M truck? Cool!
    M3 is always the answer.

You all are old :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast