Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFW Area Autocross Sites

Default DFW Area Autocross Sites

Now this is some interesting information about the size and cost of our various autocross location...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

So why do some have a price plus a price listed?
    And where is the GSW Airrport runway??

I knew I liked TMS...

Whats' teh next event running TMS?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Default Re: DFW Area Autocross Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Now this is some interesting information about the size and cost of our various autocross location...
    Where is "This" list you are talking about?

GSW airport pad. What is left of it is at the south entrance to DFW airport. If you head south/west look to your right and you will see a U-shaped pad. Before Pennington, we ran most events there. Think it was around 1982-85. All Clubs got kicked off. Think a guy was killed on a motorcycle one night racing there.

Now they train/test bus drivers there. Sometimes park rental cars there when they over flow. But I guess the days rental car over flow again are along ways off. But I do watch the rental car lot out at the airport. That lot is tempting to try to acquire. But there are some light polls.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Where is "This" list you are talking about...
    Sorry, I think I got too "cute" with the link. If you click on the word "this" above, it takes you to a Porsche Club Site at this address: http://www.pca.org/mav/Autocross/gra...arkingLots.gif.

As for what the $### + $### means, I'm not sure. I think the first dollar amount is the site rental... the second number is a security deposit? additional insurance coverage required by the site? additional dealer mark-up? I don't know for sure. But the interesting bit is the size differences between the sites, and the difference in rental price. You can see why we don't run a lot of events at TMS or at Lone Star Park!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Thank you for the link. That was an interesting graphic. I did not know Lone Star was that high. I thought it was about the same as TMS. I will forward the page on to ER board for FYI.

Anyone ever talk to UTA and try to get their South Parking Lot? Shouldn't be too much IMHO.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    GSW airport pad. What is left of it is at the south entrance to DFW airport. If you head south/west look to your right and you will see a U-shaped pad.
    Oh! I know that place it's were the tunnel on 183 once was! We used to go out there and goof in my youth!

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Anyone ever talk to UTA and try to get their South Parking Lot? Shouldn't be too much IMHO.

Chris
    Unfortunately, that parking lot is open 7 days a week during the semester. I've seen the UTA Formula SAE team close it off to do demo runs for their sponsors (which I would imagine somehoe falls under the loose description of a University sponsored event), but I think there would be some opposition to opening it up for a non-University function.

Too bad, though, as it's a huge lot with no poles.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Oh! I know that place it's were the tunnel on 183 once was! We used to go out there and goof in my youth!
    and now where do you go
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I would've thought it was not in use on the weekends.

Heck, if we could even get it in the summer, it sure would decrease my travel time by a bit!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92

Chris
    Unfortunately, that parking lot is open 7 days a week during the semester. I've seen the UTA Formula SAE team close it off to do demo runs for their sponsors (which I would imagine somehoe falls under the loose description of a University sponsored event), but I think there would be some opposition to opening it up for a non-University function.

Too bad, though, as it's a huge lot with no poles.

It might be interesting for you UTA guys to know that in the early 70's UTA had intramural drag racing and autocross on campus!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    It might be interesting for you UTA guys to know that in the early 70's UTA had intramural drag racing and autocross on campus!
    What happened? Who screwed that up?!

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Here at work we have a .25 acre lot, no poles. We could use it as a start area, then make a lap around the traffic circle. Other cars are the cones, slick sealed asphalt surface makes for alot of tail sliding action.

What about the parking lot at Maverick stadium? I've the SAE guys run there before. Altiain, can't you pull some strings?

That'd be cool.

It has ALOT of rocks and gravel, and isn't the most level surface. I run there with the ROTC almost every day.

Chris

I think an autox course with major elevation changes would be fun....

Hmm, this sounds familiar...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Until I looked at the post dates, I was wondering what brought cheesecake and some of the others back from the dead. We need a zombie smilie.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    We need a zombie smilie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast