Thread: ss brake line install --help with leaky fittings

Default ss brake line install --help with leaky fittings

i just finished removing my old lines and installing ss lines from track dog racing. Currently i have 2 leaks. one where the hard line meets the top of the junction box at the rear right of the car; the other where the hard line meets the ss fitting at the Left Rear.

my car is a 99, the lines are track dog racing ss lines.

gary (from track dog) told me to hand thread the lines into the junction box before torquing it down, which i did. however i still have a pretty steady leak from the top line. i know without a doubt that i did not cross thread this fitting.

so my 1st attempt to fix the leak, i removed the 2 nuts that hold the junction box to the frame, put washers behind the junction box on the two bolts that hold it to the chassis to give some more room. re-attached the top line to the j-box and the j-box to the chassis.

upon pumping the brake pedal, fluid began to come out of the top fitting once again. this is when i also noticed a small amount of fluid coming out of the left rear line where it meets the flanged hard line.

help please

Only thing I can figure is either it is cross threaded (remove and inspect line) or you don't have the line tight enough. When installing the block, get both lines started first so they are threading smoothly and then bolt block down. Finally tighten lines.

If it were leaking at the caliper, I'd also ask if the new copper washers were used on both sides of the banjo fitting and they didn't get dirty or scratched when installing. I saw a leak once and it turned out to be a small scratch on one of those copper washers.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

thanks for the reply, i fixed the problem yesterday, all i had to do was tighten the bolts a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by FI994k View Post
    thanks for the reply, i fixed the problem yesterday, all i had to do was tighten the bolts a bit more.
    Glad to hear you got it worked out.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)