Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Coilover install...Again.

Default Need help with Coilover install...Again.

Hey guys, just needed some help with a coilover install. I did it before with another member on the forum, but still don't feel comfortable doing it by myself. Also, I dont believe i have the correct tools to get it done. If anyone is willing to take a couple hours and give me a hand it'd me very much appreciated. I live in Allen, but will travel to you if it's not super far out. I can bring a couple pizza's along with me to get some food in ya' during the install. I'd say beer, but I'm only 20...

To contact me, send me a PM or give me a text. 469-443-2639

There's a very good DIY thread in the suspension section of cr.net. You should check it out. I did my entire coilover install in about 3 hours after I got the hang of it. All you need is a socket wrench and all the assorted sockets.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A torque wrench is good to have when changing your suspension bits.

PS - This chart too.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/torque.html

Yeah I've read the DIY thread. Only thing Im worried about is if I start, and get stuck somewhere along the install and can't figure out what to do. This being my DD, I need it running that day. Also, I do not have a proper jack or jack stands. I wonder if you can rent them at VatoZone...?

But yeah, no one wants to help? Please? With a cherry on top?

cr.net ??
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

club roadster

I think you've picked a pretty lousy weekend. Between the rain, cold and holiday parties, I'm not even interested in working on my own car! You need to own jack stands anyway. Sounds like a trip to HF is in your future.

Just go for it, it's not that tough of a job. You will need to align the car after its done, no matter who helps you. Make sure you budget for that.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Justin, if you are out of options you can bring it to AJ (BAM! on this board) and have him do it at Vorshlag. It won't be free, but it will be right.

I need someone to help me clean my house. Come on, help, come over now...please please please.

Be a man for the first time in your life and complete this incredibly simple task. This is extensively documented on the interweb, you are a failure as a man if you cannot complete this.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I agree with OZMDD. I was going to offer to do it here, but I won't have a free day till the new year. And I'm over an hour from you. So I just kept my mouth shut.

Really, about the only thing that would impede success in this case is not being able to get something loose or not having the right tool. When presented with a situation like yours, I will just loosen all of the bolts and once I'm sure of that, then I will continue with fully removing the parts. If I find half way through the loosening process that I cannot access one of the bolts or I do not have the tool for it, then all I have to do is re-tighten what I have done and try again later.

I didn't mean it had to be this weekend. Sorry for the misconception. We can work out a day and time that best works for the both of us. Don't see what's so wrong about asking for help with a project? Not aiming this at all of you, but mr brg in particular. What's easy to some may be difficult to other's, right? As I said, I'm new to this and would ultimately like some help/ guidance with the install, but I guess that's not going to happen. We'll see how it goes. How much would BAM! charge for the install, Modernbeat? I know suspension install's can get quite high in price, but curious to know anyways.

If you can wait till the new year, my offer is still there and valid. After that I'm open and happy to help. I have all tools needed, even enough that you can tackle a side while I get the other one to get you back on the ground quicker. I'm even down for just hosting a general tech day if anyone else wants to show up to hang out or do some stuff to their car.

But...that still leaves the issue with you not wanting to drive too far. I live just past TMS in Haslet, so pull up Google maps and see if it's worth the drive to you.
    Last edited by Rob®; 12-06-2011 at 08:31 AM.

You can do it!!!

I just did my bumpstops this weekend, it was a fair amount of work, but not really that hard.

What coilovers are you installing and what is coming off the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    If you can wait till the new year, my offer is still there and valid. This coming weekend I can't since I'll be out of town for work. The 17th my fiance's father is coming in from PA for the weekend. Weekend after that is Christmas. Weekend of the 31st I believe we are still driving out to NC to see about an internship at Duke. After that I'm open and happy to help. I have all tools needed, even enough that you can tackle a side while I get the other one to get you back on the ground quicker. I'm even down for just hosting a general tech day if anyone else wants to show up to hang out or do some stuff to their car.

But...that still leaves the issue with you not wanting to drive too far. I live just past TMS in Haslet, so pull up Google maps and see if it's worth the drive to you.
    Can you PM me an address? Ill put it in googlemaps and see what the trip looks like. Regardless, I appreciate the offer and help. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    What coilovers are you installing and what is coming off the car?
    Throwing on a set of RL's that I got cheap, wanted to give them a shot. Ill be taking off stock shocks/springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinb928 View Post
    Throwing on a set of RL's that I got cheap, wanted to give them a shot. Ill be taking off stock shocks/springs.
    Have fun! Unless you have a lift, you're gonna have a lot of fun setting the ride height properly. Then again, if you're installing $300 coil-overs, you probably aren't interested in doing things right. Just slam it and post photos in the slammed thread over at CR.net.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

What's so hard about setting the ride height w jack stands and a couple floor jacks? Don't oversell the shop; thousands of NA owners, including myself, have done it with typical garage tools.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    What's so hard about setting the ride height w jack stands and a couple floor jacks? Don't oversell the shop; thousands of NA owners, including myself, have done it with typical garage tools.
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast