Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I may need some hands on help soon

Default I may need some hands on help soon

I am very seriously thinking about the Fm stage 1 suspention set-up, I already have the money for it.
    Is there anyone who can help me with install?

I know nothing about it, I would like to have the help of someone who has done it on their 99 model, or at least has done it on a 99 model.

I would be able to compensate some for the help and teaching me the ropes so I can do it next time on my own. or even help someone else out in the future.

I know now I dont need any bumpstop modding, nor a spring compressor from reading posts relating to this, is there anything besides the kit itself that I would need for the job?

I read I will most likely need an allignment after this too, is it a special allignment of sorts? cost?

any opinions or help would be appreciated, thanks.

Go buy Keith Tanner's book on Miatas. There is nothing magical about the 99 suspension. Yes, get an alignment. Once you change the ride height, you need an alignment.

Yes, you need spring compressors. Air tools help move the job along nicely.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Oh, and the FM Stage I parts are available from other sources cheaper.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I've offered to help before, and you're still welcome to peruse my '02 with the FM Stage 1 kit installed. Well... actually, I suppose it's FM stage 2 since I have the front & rear sways...

You will need a spring compressor to dis-assemble the old shock/spring assemblies. You can borrow them from Autozone or I have one (well... actually sammm has mine at the moment).
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I am very seriously thinking about the Fm stage 1 suspention set-up, I already have the money for it.
    Is there anyone who can help me with install?
    You might be able to convince some of us to help you out. A handful of us have done this on several cars (some cars more than once! ) We work cheap. (Usually for food and drinks.)

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    You will need a spring compressor to dis-assemble the old shock/spring assemblies. You can borrow them from Autozone or I have one (well... actually sammm has mine at the moment).
    No, Bean has yours at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Yes I do! And I can find them instantly!!
    Rub it in, beeeyawtch!

An organized garage is the sign of a sick mind.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I did the suspension on my '93. I might be able to help when the time comes.

Chuck

Hey!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Yes I do! And I can find them instantly!!
    Rub it in, beeeyawtch!

KEWL!!!!, I will go ahead and order the parts then, I will let you all know when I get them in.
    I dont know what I was thinking,.. I didnt even consider I would need spring compressors to get the old springs off...shows you how much I know.

Beer , food , cokes etc , no problem...small expense considering the alternative.

I wouldnt trust just any shop to instal them anyway, I have read a lot about shops tightening everything down with the car still on the rack, and from what I have read the weight of the car needs to be on the springs and such when everything is tightened down.

Once again thanks, and I will post a reply when I get the parts in.

Billy

....about the parts being cheaper from other sources I am assuming you mean the shocks, I have found them from reading other posts for around 300. shipped and then the actual springs from FM....that would save me like 75.00,.... am I on the right track?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Here's where I just ordered my shocks from. No complaints.
    LINKIE

I've never bought springs separately, so I can't answer that one.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Here's where I just ordered my shocks from. No complaints.
    LINKIE

I've never bought springs separately, so I can't answer that one.
    I ordered from the same place... no problems either... in fact, fast as hell shipping!

I've never done it but rory has on his 99 when he still had it ( His sis has it I believe) i called him and asked and he said yeah he'sd help ( he always will)

rich

Kewl Rich!! any help is great.

Thats where I was looking to order from, its nice to know someone else has already ordered from them, now I know what to expect. :)

Will let ya'll know when the parts come in and thanks again.

About the allignment, any suggestions on who to take it to?
    Prefferably in Ft Worth area since I live in Weatherford, I dont want to drive all the way to Dallas,... how much does it cost? (aprox.)

And is there a different kind of allignment that I need rather than a standard kind?

Well hell I guess we can discuss all this when we are putting on the set-up.

Thanks again, I really really appreciate it.

I can't wait to get the car solid to start with the HP upgrades.
    It sure is going to take a long time to save for FM1, I think I am going to go header/midpipe/exhaust in the meantime to satisfy a little of my desire to make it a bit faster.
    I am not only going to have to save for the Turbo but also the ACT clutch, man talk about setting you back some bucks. I am sure it will be worth every penny once it is the way I want it though.

Just remember, any $$$ put into a header will be wasted... You'll be installing a turbo header when you put your FI kit in.

As for alignment, there are factory alignments and then there is the Lanny alignment. It's listed on the board. It's for more spirited driving. There are also more tweaks you can do for AutoX that the others can tell you more about. It's all in what you want to do with the car.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

well thanks rich Yeah I have done it but it took me forever ( did'nt have the right tools and it was soooo long ago) and my sis has gotten another car, she wrecked the 99

rory

Yeah channel, I know it will be wasted cash on the header but I am planning on turning it back around and putting it for sale when I am ready for FM1 to get a little bit back from it.

I thinkk I will do the Lanny allignment, I will not be Auto Xing the car most likely, standing around in a parking lot all day does not sound like my cup of tea....however I will be driving some aggresive street driving and most likely will open track the car as soon as I can at the Ranch, or where ever I can.

Any suggestions on who might be qualified to do the Lanny allignment?
    Cost?

Thanks again so much for the valuable info I have recieved from this forum, it has brought ease to my mind after buying a car I know so little about.

I learn more and more everyday, and am surely bitten.
    I can see how it is hard to find one of these older cars with low milage, they are so freakin fun to drive.

BTW, there are a lot of kick butt curvy roads in Ft Worth to have a lot6 of fun on

There is a thread somewhere here about alignment shops. I hate to be but if you search it will come up. You will find that petersons in hurst is the best place close to you. I am pretty sure I posted their address in that thread too. I have done the suspension on my car, Id be willing to help with the install too. BTW if you really want to get a header, why dont you start thinking about superchargers instead of turbos? You can keep the header. Might want to research the difference and see which one will work best for you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast