Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Autocross helmet

Default WTB: Autocross helmet

Tired of funky loaners, I need an autocross helmet. In true TCB fashion, if anyone's got one collecting dust let me know.

I need a L, and want a full face. Other than that I don't care. Oh yea, not funky.

Looking to spend $50. If nobody's got one, i'll just buy a cheap G-Force, but I won't want to.

Thanks in advance.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Wow... the helmet museum has nothing... took 2 to the dump...

does anyone still accept sa2000? if so, you're welcome to the bell m2, size large...
    Last edited by tailchaser; 02-04-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    does anyone still accept sa2000?
    Nope. '05.

I will sell you the one you sold me a couple of years ago for $50!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

What was the cert date on that one? I can't remember. I wanted a full face, but I'm having a hard time finding second hand helmets with current snell ratings...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Its an M 2000. I will discount it to $49.95. Free helmet bag and visor (I upgraded it).
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I read they're only accepting 2005, so I don't think I can use it...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Why do you want full face? I had one and retired it almost immediately because it was hot.

There's also a claim that airbags and full face helmets are a bad combination.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

^ I don't have airbags.

I just never liked open faced at all for some reason. Can't say i've ever autocrossed with a full face though, but didn't think of them being hot. Last time I went karting I didn't seem to have a heat problem with the full faced, but karts are more open.

Hmmm, something to think about though.

2000 is fine for SCCA. From the 2012 rule book.

4.3.1 Helmets
    Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:
    All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell
    Foundation standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010,
    M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K9, SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A,
    31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable.
    Formula Junior drivers must use helmets meeting the above, SFI 24.1
    (Youth Helmets), Snell CMR2007 (Children’s Motorsports Restricted),
    or Snell CMS2007 (Children’s Motorsports Standard) specifications.
    For maximum protection, helmets must fit securely and should provide
    adequate peripheral vision. The chin strap must be securely fastened.

I am pretty sure ER is the same, but I am not sure.

edit
    Just looked at ER rules, 2000 is fine for ER.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Ok so now I'm curious. Does SA ratings expire faster than M ratings??

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Nope. '05.
    Or is this just for NTAXS or other clubs?

I'm at work and don't have a huge amount of time to research all this, I can look it up later tonight.

For SCCA, and ER SA2000, or M2000 is fine.

The M rating is for motorcycles but OK for autocross. SA is for auto racing. The big differance between the 2 is fire restance for SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Ok so now I'm curious. Does SA ratings expire faster than M ratings??

Or is this just for NTAXS or other clubs?

I'm at work and don't have a huge amount of time to research all this, I can look it up later tonight.
    Different clubs will have different rules about this, based on insurance requirements of their respective carriers, I believe. Most seem to accept the current standard and the two previous (2010, 2005, 2000) but obviously not all. Clubs with stricter rules also have newer loaners, which is a bonus. :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I thought SCCA only allowed 2005+, but I guess I was wrong. There's a first time for everything, I guess.

I thought the NTAXS rules had 2005, but I see they are 1995! I will adjust the NTAXS rules to 2000, too.

^ Well that's good news. I'll adjust my search accordingly.

Gary, i'll do another look around. I need to try to be cheaper than I previously thought, but If I can't find a cheaper helmet i'll pick up my old helmet from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The M rating is for motorcycles but OK for autocross. SA is for auto racing. The big differance between the 2 is fire restance for SA.
    I haven't compared this personally but I have heard that SA helmets tend to have a smaller viewing area.

I think that depends on the model. But SA does allow for a smaller viewing area than M does.

edit

from Snell web site

Snell Standards specific questionWhat are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
    The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
    The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
    The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-13-2012 at 03:51 PM.

I have a black, open-faced HJC helmet with a Snell M2000 rating I will sell for $30.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

^ Hmmmmm....

Size, L?

So bumping the thread for an update. I was originally lined up to buy TC's Bell, then I sadly read the BMWCCA only recognizes Snell 2005+. So scratch that. I have another possible sale lined up from a friend, but just heard he had a huge accident this morning, possibly with the helmet in his car(not sure, he was supposed to be bringing it today).

So I've got a class Saturday requiring a 2005 helmet, but a possibility of having no helmet. Still probably going to buy the helmet from my friend, and still might get it in time, providing he get's it out of his car ok...but just trying to get a contingency in place for worst case.

It's probably a lot to ask, but does anyone have a nasty crappy helmet that they wouldn't mind letting me borrow for the autocross class on the 3rd...if it came to that? It could be stinky and spray painted hot pink and I wouldn't care, as long as it'll fit my head and pass BMW's standards.

I have/had a headsock somewhere, but in case I can't find it is there anywhere local I can buy one? I need one anyway so I would wear it. I would also return said helmet with a 6pack of your favorite beer sitting in it (or some of my homebrew if you're adventurous).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast