Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynotronics ECU Reflash Discount opportunity

Default Dynotronics ECU Reflash Discount opportunity

Dynotronics/DPTUNE is offering Ecutek tuning of most Miata/MX-5's, Mazda3's and the new Subota FR-s/BRZ. Since I'm switching my tune from the older Paisani system to the new Ecutek remote cable system, I'm working with Joe to come to Dallas on a weekend and do a group deal for on-the-spot tunes.

The new system is more precise and can monitor more parameters, so makes more power and can be done remotely without having to remove/ship the ecu. For the Subotas, it also allows multiple maps to be installed and switched by the user. (93, 100, E85, flex-fuel) Joe tells me they are making 180-ish WHP on 93 octane in the BRZ with only IHE mods. I'm glad they went to STX!

If you are interested in getting your car tuned/reflashed in the next month or two and get-together with 3-5 other people on a Saturday, Joe will come to Dallas and do them all, not to mention a discount for the "group tune."

PM me or come to the GTG on Wed's to see what Joe's tunes can do. (Hint: I'm making nearly 170 WHP in my STR NC with IHE mods only on 93 octane, bone-stock motor, and DD the car.)

I'd like to get this together in the next month, before autox season, and this could be a good thing to pair with a dyno day if folks are interested in that as well.

http://dynotronicstuning.com/index.html
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

This sounds very tempting! Depending on cost I might be up for this

Now that you have sweet suspension, I'm not sure I want you reflashed and running in STR! Maybe consider CSP???
    Polished Turd Racing

Ecutek is doing some cool things in the GT-R world too, a lot of people are jumping ship from the proven Cobb platform.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Yep, Joe says he has done some GT-R's. Considering it for Godzilla?

He can really do almost any popular brand of car.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Now that you have sweet suspension, I'm not sure I want you reflashed and running in STR! Maybe consider CSP???
    Who said I wasn't reflashed already

Joe used to be the Miata Technologies of tuning with Paisani. I personally know two owners who had their forced induction NCs blown up by him. Joe's code was proven to be false like the Emperor's new clothes.

Maybe Dynotronics has turned their business model around with Ecutek I know nothing about it. But I would never let Joe touch my car.

Yep, Joe says he has done some GT-R's. Considering it for Godzilla?

He can really do almost any popular brand of car.
    Maybe but if I did I would use Visconti for ECUTek since he's the guru for this platform on the GT-R. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, I bought a Cobb and sold it.

I will say that whoever did your current flash did a good job. The car felt surprisingly strong.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 01-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I have no position on this, but this thread on m.net might be of interest of anyone considering this:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=481935

Yeah, there are always dissatisfied customers out there, for any company. Tuning is not a "Wal-mart" consumer product. I have read dozens of threads bashing every tuner out there, but have also seen first-hand that there is often user-error or a problem-vehicle involved too. There are at least a dozen of Joe's tuned NC's that ran at Nats this year, and probably hundred on m.net with positive results and dyno evidence of substantial gains.

I highly recommend that nobody ever spend a penny without being comfortable with the product, the tuner and the process, as well as having a clear understanding of what they are paying for. Joe is one guy who has a shop that pays his bills and a tuning business also. If someone needs a retail customer experience, it would be best to contact a local speed shop like Cobb, Jotec, Vorshlag, etc. and have custom tuning done. It will cost more, but provide a more direct brick-and-mortar experience.

I've dealt with Joe for over two years and can always reach him within 24 hrs unless he's racing out-of-town, then maybe 48 hrs till a call-back.
    Polished Turd Racing

From the miata.net thread, it appears to be those who are dissatisfied are NB owners, which there is no real good access into the ECU to tune. NC owners seem to have better luck with their better designed ECU. I was considering having Joe tune my ECU, but after he had a local MSM for over a month and not ever getting a good tune on it, I decided it wasn't worth the effort on my daily driver.

Begi is also doing NB reflashes, I've heard horror stories about their reflashes, but I've also read about great experiences with their reflash, but it's still a back and forth process shipping off your ECU. I'd be more inclined to drive down to Begi and have them work the tune out with my particular mods.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Update: got the new EcuTek-based tune in the car. Its noticably smoother and was really easy to tune remotely. The EcuTek cable and a netbook are all you need to get really detailed data (including Knock sensor readings, which most dataloggers can't read). I did three refinements via email in only a couple of days to get it just right. Each reflash takes less than 5 min.

As in the past, I'm quite pleased with the tunes I get from Joe.
    Polished Turd Racing

My personal experience with Joe has been poor.
    1. Sent me an ECU to put in while I send him mine to upgrade for a $150 deposit; it wouldn't start the car. So a found another ECU locally.
    2. Took about twice as long as promised to send my upgraded ECU.
    3. After 4 months and 8 phone calls, still hasn't refunded my $150 deposit or paid me for the extra ECU I sent him.

I haven't measured whether the ECU increased power.
    His work maybe good, but his business management is lacking.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

My car now makes over 170 whp. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)
    Polished Turd Racing

My car now makes over 170 whp. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)

170 WHP? I make that at 2,600 RPM
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

True, but you also make my cars weight from the windshield forward.
    Polished Turd Racing

strathound

There was just a post on TrackJunkies.org about a guy who was doing a track day with one of these and blew a hole in one of his pistons. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/24...it/#entry41028

He actually had several mods and continued to track the car after several red flags. Again, you post about topics where you have zero knowledge.
    Polished Turd Racing

He actually had several mods and continued to track the car after several red flags. Again, you post about topics where you have zero knowledge.
    Shit breaks.

Continuing to drive with issues... Going to another event without resolving issues.... Full retard.

Tugg Speedman: There were times while I was playing Jack where I felt...
    [pause]
    Tugg Speedman: ...retarded. Like, really retarded.
    Kirk Lazarus: Damn!
    Tugg Speedman: In a weird way I had to sort of just free myself up to believe that is was ok to be stupid or dumb.
    Kirk Lazarus: To be a moron.
    Tugg Speedman: Yeah!
    Kirk Lazarus: To be moronical.
    Tugg Speedman: Exactly, to be a moron.
    Kirk Lazarus: An imbecile.
    Tugg Speedman: Yeah!
    Kirk Lazarus: Like the dumbest mother fucker that ever lived.
    Tugg Speedman: [pause] When I was playing the character.

[Tugg has just killed a panda]
    Tugg Speedman: I killed one, Rick... the thing I love most in the world.
    Rick Peck: A hooker. Oh Jesus, you killed a hooker!

Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard.
    Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?
    Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast