Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coilover Question

Yes I just noticed that about NTAXS -- I'm planning to attend 7/20 event. Talent is still my biggest handicap.
    '09 Marble White

First off I didn't put the car into the CS class. At the beginning of the season I listed all the things I'd done to the car over the years and let the powers to be choose where to place me. The only change I've made since that time were the BFGoodrich Rival tires and the sway bar upgrade. And I was just getting a head start on the new rules where you are allowed to change both bars. They came as a set so I just had both put in. That being said and the limited choices I have in class selection I guess I might as well get the coilovers and move to ASP. Most here seem to express that I'm already way over the stock limits and should be in ASP anyways. Boy never knew one little Cone Filter would cause so much trouble ... LOL. And I have run in with the NTAXS ... ER ... PCA groups. I have been told its all about seat time and I've been trying my best to hit everything except for Mineral Wells Races.

Filters are open, as long as you did not change the intake, but bushings are not. The sway bar rule on both ends did not go through, so it will stay 1 bar only.

The powers that be help as much as they can, but it’s really your responsibility to know the rules and what class you should run in.

Good chance nobody would have said anything about your car at least until you start doing good, but you asked and we just told you what the rules are.

If it was just the cone filter, it would probably be something to let slide, but the sway bars are another thing. I'm fairly certain you were told that they'd put you in CS for the first event ( based on the filter only) and you'd need to figure out your car prep and classing desire for future events. Basically, come have fun today, figure out the rest later, not "run the season in the wrong class and add some sway bars too."
    Either way, its not a huge deal, and you know now. If you aren't interested in making big changes, PCA, BMW and NTAXS will let your car run with your current mods and coilovers too, and the other clubs will still welcome you in ASP or SM. Its about having fun. If its about winning for you ( I fully understand), then you will need to invest inn the car and the driver, or even another car if you are ambitious enough. Remember that at many DFW events, you are running against multi-time National champs and a few dozen national-level drivers. You could show up in a max-prep SS Z06 and still get raw-timed by a 1.6 STS miata driven by a skilled driver; it happens regularly.

Autox is a fun, accessible way to play with your car on a Sunday, but its also SRSBZNS.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    You could show up in a max-prep SS Z06 and still get raw-timed by a 1.6 STS miata driven by a skilled driver; it happens regularly.
    I love doing that.

If I read the rules correctly. Coilovers are not allowed in ASP nor FP. So my only choice would be SSM. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight. Coilovers must be even bigger pixy dust then tires.

As far as the sway bars. Sorry didn't know that part didn't go through. But I only did get 200 rated tires which are going to be the only legal option in 2 years. Technically I could have gotten any tire I wanted. I was trying to find a happy place between current rules and the changes comming. Didn't want to spend money making changes now only to have to spend more the next year to reverse or change again. But to be fair had I been classed as ASP instead of CS I would have placed 3rd in Novice last weekend instead of 2nd. I will exchange my 2nd place cone with Mr. Evo's 3rd place cone at the next event. As soon as I figure out how to change classes online I will change my designation to ASP instead of CS.

I think you're misreading the rules. Alternate shocks are legal in all classes (although in Stock they must use the OEM spring and maintain the OEM spring perch height). In all other classes, coilovers are implicitly legal under the allowances for alternate shocks and alternate springs.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If the MR2 came with non-adjustable coilovers (coil springs over the shock), you can add shocks with adjustable coilovers (coil spring perches).

The SP rule.

15.8 SUSPENSION
    Vehicles may only exceed the allowances of Section 13.8 as specified
    herein.
    A. Ride height may only be altered by suspension adjustments, the use
    of spacing blocks, leaf spring shackles, torsion bar levers, or change
    or modification of springs or coil spring perches. This does not allow
    the use of spacers which alter suspension geometry such as those
    between the hub carrier and lower suspension arm. Springs must be
    of the same type as the original (coil, leaf, torsion bar, etc.) and except
    as noted herein, must use the original spring attachment points.
    This permits multiple springs as long as they use the original mount
    locations. Coil spring perches originally attached to struts or shock
    absorber bodies may be changed or altered and their position may
    be adjustable
    .Spacers are allowed above or below the spring.
    Last edited by Robert; 06-27-2013 at 10:36 AM.

And in English that rule says what? I'm a numbers dude not a legal E Dude. I'm moving to ASP because that is where I should be now. If I add coilovers can I stay in ASP? Y or N ... If no ... can I go to FP? Y or No. Please don't take any of my remarks in the wrong spirit. I do appreciate everyone's input. I don't want to be in the wrong classification just to get an edge on someone. I just want to improve my raw times and worry about the indexing stuff if I ever want to take this hobby to the next level. All I ask for Christmas is to beat Mr. Evo and Mr. Civic on raw times not indexed ...

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    And in English that rule says what? I'm a numbers dude not a legal E Dude. I'm moving to ASP because that is where I should be now. If I add coilovers can I stay in ASP? Y or N ... If no ... can I go to FP? Y or No. Please don't take any of my remarks in the wrong spirit. I do appreciate everyone's input. I don't want to be in the wrong classification just to get an edge on someone. I just want to improve my raw times and worry about the indexing stuff if I ever want to take this hobby to the next level. All I ask for Christmas is to beat Mr. Evo and Mr. Civic on raw times not indexed ...
    Going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna wager you don't last long on this forum...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna wager you don't last long on this forum...
    ... Unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 91NA6 View Post
    ... Unnecessary.
    True, but historically, those who blatantly express an unwillingness to read don't fare well. Just trying to help him get on the right track.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I don't think he is being that difficult. He said don't take him 100% seriously on his last post. So why we're trying to shove him out is beyond me. Give him the answers he wants and we can all be on our way. But as the wm I think it is ridiculous for you to even get remotely involved in that type of behavior. Example, you are.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I don't think he is being that difficult. He said don't take him 100% seriously on his last post. So why we're trying to shove him out is beyond me. Give him the answers he wants and we can all be on our way. But as the wm I think it is ridiculous for you to even get remotely involved in that type of behavior. Example, you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    Yes, coilovers are allowed in ASP.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yes, coilovers are allowed in ASP.
    Thank you JrJ.

As far as the rest of the stuff above ... Yes the "I'm a numbers guy not a legal guy" was sarcasim. Obviously I'm not a car guy and didn't understand what the rule was stating. However if this is a problem for you Tail I can try to explain things in plain language and small words so you can follow along.

Lmfao Sammy. Nothing to say? I can handle the heat.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Lmfao Sammy. Nothing to say? I can handle the heat.
    Nothing that had already been said, other than don't poke the bear. You too Bato.

Let's not run people off, even if they can't read or just hate reading. We're nice folk.

This might help. Some things might be out of date.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast