Thread: New to the DFW area

Default New to the DFW area

I just moved to Arlington for school at UTA (because they have a Formula SAE team) from Tyler, Tx. I have trolled clubroadster dfwmiata and miata.net for a while but havent really posted much of anything. I have driven my '92 Miata for about 2 years now, I picked it up for $500 from a lady who was about to scrap it because it was stuck in reverse...literally that was all that was wrong. I put an '01 5 speed in it for $200 and I drive it every day. I love this car, its rediculous how much fun you can have with 90 hp.

I am currently in the process of swapping in a 1.8 with 99 pistons, the exhintake mod, 4-2-1 header and some other random goodies so it will be nice to have a little more power
    '92 Mariner Blue [1.8 swap finished!]
    UTA Formula SAE -Driver/Fabricator

Welcome. Have any pics of the work at hand or the car in general?
    95-white Artech Boost
    99-blue PART-OUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloaner00 View Post
    I just moved to Arlington for school at UTA (because they have a Formula SAE team) from Tyler, Tx.
    Nice, i'm transferring to UTA Mechanical Engineering program this spring. I'll probably see you around there. I normally never care to hang with any classmates so it'll be nice to have somebody over there with similar interests. Sadly the miata will probably still sit in the garage for the semesters though.

Are you transferring from CC or a freshman?
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 11-15-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Welcome.

Now you just need to autocross your Miata in order to replace Mulkers as the UTA FSAE hotshoe.

Welcome and have fun. You can get a degree in ME, but I highly encourage you to pursue a career in petroleum. I got an ME degree and wish I'd have gone into petroleum sooner.

Driving a Miata in DFW... keep a close eye on your 2-4 and 7-10.

Yes autoX your Miata and then grab that FSAE seat later on. I always wanted to drive one of them. I've considered getting an old Formula Ford just to have something insanely fun to drive.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Not so sure petroleum is such good advice. When I started my Geology degree in 1988, I was interning with literally dozens of petroleum guys who were broke and working out of their field after petroleum crashed a few years before. Its super-lucrative when oil is up, but brutal when its down, which it will eventually be again. ME with some specialization in Petroleum is probably safer long-term.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I finished my MS in Geophysics in 1985. I was RIFed in 1986.

Timing is very important. Get that degree as the upswing starts.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Too late. :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Thanks ya I have done several auto-x's I was at the tms road course here recently if anybody was there.

We go out for driver training in the mornin tomorrow and I get to drive my buddy's NC on flyin miata springs and 245 rs3s since my miata is out of commission for the 1.8 swap. Should be loads of fun. Ill post some pics later
    '92 Mariner Blue [1.8 swap finished!]
    UTA Formula SAE -Driver/Fabricator

Mariner Blue is the best color. Welcome aboard, Myles.