Default 2016 Mazda MX-5 Chassis Reveals a Lighter, Smaller Next-Gen Miata

A few interesting things I noticed...

4-lug hubs
    Aluminum front control arms
    Long runners on the intake manifold
    Sexy 4-2-1 header
    Engine looks like it's set a little further back

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Engine looks like it's set a little further back
    Mazda has promised the new car will weigh 220 lbs less than the outgoing model while the engine will sit further towards the center of the car, improving balance.

Yep, the front of the engine is now completely behind the front axle, where the NC was about even up front with the axle plane. 4-lug is unexpected, but actually makes sense when you consider the RX8-DNA on the NC. Does kinda suck from a wheel availability standpoint, unless it will get more compact brakes again to allow 15's. That would be spectacular.

I'm very pleased with what I see so far. Hopefully they will be priced nicely and have the kinks worked-out when my lease expires in 3 years. :)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

mmmm front mid engined.
    2001 SE BRG Miata #2026, Aka: The Green Slug

This is great news and all, but as much as I like the NC (and will probably like the ND) I don't see it as a car I spend that much money on. The amount of fun/$ that my NA brought and my NB brings me is >> than the return on a new Miata. Maybe in 10+ years I'll pick one up :)
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

One of the pictures is bogus. On the link Sammm provided the exhaust is on the left side of the engine. On the image Trickyrix provided the exhaust is on the right side of the engine. Transmission and diff look like new items for Mazda.

Image probably just got reversed.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Image probably just got reversed.
    No, the PPF would also be reversed. I was curious about that too, wondered if the intake was some odd configuration.
    Edit: a closer look reveals that the drivers side pipes are intake manifold runners. Its the same frame from two sides.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    One of the pictures is bogus. On the link Sammm provided the exhaust is on the left side of the engine. On the image Trickyrix provided the exhaust is on the right side of the engine. Transmission and diff look like new items for Mazda.
    Look closer... That is actually the intake manifold on the left, with intake runners that look like a tubular exhaust. You can see the throttle body sitting in front of them. Here is a higher res version that makes it easier to see:

Rear suspension is all new, too.

That, and check out the fancy chrome shift knob!!
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Turbo?
    M3 is always the answer.

Is it front wishbone and rear multi-link?
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Is it front wishbone and rear multi-link?
    Looks that way to me.
    Polished Turd Racing

From Road and Track,
    1. No big surprise, but the Miata gets electric power steering (EPAS). The good news here is that Mazda has proven quite clever at squeezing feel out of EPAS, and because the newest MX-5 weighs less, it shouldn't need as much feel-robbing assistance in the first place. It's also a very direct rack-mounted assist motor—that's the most effective way.
    2. Different rear suspension design. We'll still get a multilink rear, but this time with two robust lateral links as the forward support and a diagonal link in the back. The benefit is more efficient use of rear subframe structure, hence lighter, shorter, and stronger links.
    3. Aluminum uprights in front. Based on the images, it looks like the front uprights are now aluminum. That saves weight out in the corners, which is critical.
    4. Sadly, the rear brakes are still solid, not vented. One change I personally would love to see is rear vented brake discs for better heat dissipation. Because the car is so light, this isn't a major problem, but that change would signify even more sporting intentions.
    5. A lighter front subframe. Now, this is just a guess, but the front subframe also looks more efficiently designed. It looks like they're using different, lighter-duty mounting points for the frame. That means less weight. See a theme?

That brake comment is stupid.