Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have a plan, I need Help!!!

Just let me know if you could use some help pulling it apart tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Well hell. I just got a much better tour of Irving than I wanted. All I had was Chris' home number. I didnt see that you gave me a cell. So I drove around looking for a bunch of miatas. After about an hour I decided to head back home. Sorry I said Id be there.
    Sorry Majik I just got your voicemail! I left the phone in my OTM all day, sorry...... :ncool:

Glad to see you guys got the motor out!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Well hell. I just got a much better tour of Irving than I wanted. All I had was Chris' home number. I didnt see that you gave me a cell. So I drove around looking for a bunch of miatas. After about an hour I decided to head back home. Sorry I said Id be there.
    Yeah, Kags's directions (or lack thereof ) could have used some help. I spent 45 minutes driving around looking for the place (the garage was actually at building 8253, iirc, not 8229), decided to give it one more try, and stumbled on 3Bean. I figured he knew where he was going, so I followed him.

Still, glad to be of help.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    The highlight of the day was when my cute neighbor showed us her restored 1953 MG. Beautiful car.
    Yep the car - and the neighbor - were both very nice.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Yeah, Kags's directions (or lack thereof ) could have used some help. I spent 45 minutes driving around looking for the place (the garage was actually at building 8253, iirc, not 8229), decided to give it one more try, and stumbled on 3Bean. I figured he knew where he was going, so I followed him.

Still, glad to be of help.
    Sorry you caught the one moment where my phone and I were in different places in the last 7 months... You know that I almost always answer my phone!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ...and stumbled on 3Bean. I figured he knew where he was going...
    Unless I'm looking for a NAPA store...

"Oh, you meant south on Belt Line!"

Well Brock came over this morning and we tore down the engine to the short block to try and find the problem. # 3 rod bearing was gone, lots of play in that rod, that is what made all of the racket. #4 piston was slightly burned on the intake side. I think this happened when I lost a boost/vaacum line to MAP sensor and ran a little lean...

Still not 100% on what I am going to do.

Chris

GO BIG, make us proud! I will make him knock down the price on those cans another fifty.

Mac

Still not 100% on what I am going to do.
    If you have to rebuild you might as well make the best of it and rebuild it stronger. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The highlight of the day was when my cute neighbor showed us her restored 1953 MG. Beautiful car.

FYI - If you pull an M2 engine. There is a special tool to pull the high pressure fuel lines, it is the red anodized tool and they sell them at autozone/napa.
    Yea, Chris has a possible hook-up lining up

I'd bet he'd rent out this tool, for say $10 per incident
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I'd bet he'd rent out his tool, for say $10 per incident
    He'd best be careful about that... I mean... it's encroaching on majik's turf...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Here are some pics from the second day, including the burnt piston.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    He'd best be careful about that... I mean... it's encroaching on majik's turf...
    :mad:

BWUHAHAHAHAHA! I was afraid you'd never see that!

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Here are some pics from the second day, including the burnt piston.
    Which one is burnt? And what do you mean by "burnt"? They look normal to me....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The pics did not turn out very well. Too much glare from the flash. The first pic shows piston #4, which was burnt on the outer edge and in the intake side (bottom of pic) recesses. The second pic shows piston #1, which looked exactly like 2 and 3. When you look at the pistons it is very noticable.

What I see, appeared to be carbon buildup........ I guess not, huh?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The #4 piston is pitted on the edges from detonation, it doesnt show well on the pics but when you compair the two side by side it is evident.

Chris

The #4 piston is pitted on the edges from detonation, it doesnt show well on the pics but when you compair the two side by side it is evident.

Chris

In other words, "Don't let Brock operate the camera."

Here is a picture of piston #4. The top of the picture is the intake side. Notice that it looks rough, that is because it is very pitted from detonation. It should look like the bottom half of the piston...

I had a pretty productive day today. I finished tearing down the old motor and put the new motor on the stand. I also tore the head down to get it ready for a visit to the machine shop for some cleanup. I ordered a new gasket and seal for the transmission, I figured I might as well change it since I am in this deep. It is a little sad to have your motor scattered on the floor in little plastic baggies.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast