Thread: Suspension setups

Default Suspension setups

So I'm taking this off-season as an opportunity to upgrade my suspension setup. Any suggestions? I'd like to spend close to $1k but I'm prepared to spend as much as $2k if it's worth the extra cost. I'm also willing to do some piecing together for an ideal setup.

I'd like to get an Xida setup from 949 racing but not sure if it's truly worth spending $2k for my rather limited AutoX (& hopefully soon track day) experience. I've looked at; Flyin' Miata's VMaxx XXtreme coilovers, TDR's (I like shopping local) Yellow-Speed Sport coilvers, Tein Flex coilovers, etc. I'm not afraid to spend some money on the suspension but I prefer to get the most value I can while keeping in mind that I'm not looking to throw money at my car just because I can.

At the moment, I'm running a set of MSM Bilstein's with eBay coilover sleeves (not sure about the spring rates) & up until 3 of the 4 the shocks went kaput, it was a great setup. I'm also considering sending the shocks off to Bilstein to have them rebuilt/re-valved for a 700/400 springs rates & picking up some eibach springs.

Anyways, I've done lots of research (read forums until my eyes bled it feels like) but I figured I would ask some of the local Miata experts what y'all are running. I'm really curious what Jerret, James, Gabby, etc. (the top NTAXS & regional SCCA STS guys) are running on your cars. Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

You should consider talking to Brian at Hanchey Vehicle Technology. He builds pro-level suspensions and can probably build you something within your budget.

Sammm runs the Xida's and loves them. FCM are also very highly-regarded.

For $1k, your only good options will be either a used quality setup or Koni sports with your current sleeves and better springs.

Jerrett runs AST's.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I looked into re-valving OEM Bilsteins....if you drive on the street, the downside is they aren't adjustable. If you do go that route, speak with Rob Schermerhorn at Delta Vee Motorsports. Great guy and very knowledgeable regarding your options.

I do have the 949 Xida's and have no complaints. Great on the street or at an AX/Track event.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    You should consider talking to Brian at Hanchey Vehicle Technology. He builds pro-level suspensions and can probably build you something within your budget.

Sammm runs the Xida's and loves them. FCM are also very highly-regarded.

For $1k, your only good options will be either a used quality setup or Koni sports with your current sleeves and better springs.

Jerrett runs AST's.
    Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll get in touch w/Brian. Also, any recommendations for springs I can use?

Any decent brand. Hyperco are good, as are swift, but plenty of choices there. Be aware that 700/400 might also be too much for ots Konis.

I'll bet HVT can give you a very clear path to the results you want and suggest the best approach to springs.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I looked into re-valving OEM Bilsteins....if you drive on the street, the downside is they aren't adjustable. If you do go that route, speak with Rob Schermerhorn at Delta Vee Motorsports. Great guy and very knowledgeable regarding your options.

I do have the 949 Xida's and have no complaints. Great on the street or at an AX/Track event.
    Thanks Samm, I'll check out Delta Vee. My Miata is pretty much just a toy so my street use is only getting to & from autoX events.

What springs rates do most of y'all run?

I can revalve your Bilsteins. Very reasonable cost and same day turnaround.

I have a great valving for street cars as well as one for dedicated race cars.

Oh yeah, forgot about Dave! Fix-up your MSM's and save a bunch of $$, then spend it on springs and bumpstops.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post

Awesome! We met at the SCCA Road Course event. What's the best way to get in touch with you? What sort of spring rate do you recommend for a Miata that is almost solely used for autoX (& future track days) but I do take it on the occasional spirited drive around town (when I'm feeling the itch).

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot about Dave! Fix-up your MSM's and save a bunch of $$, then spend it on springs and bumpstops.
    I like the way you think Mike. That's the way I was leaning anyways.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I didn't know Dave could do re-valves...what a deal!

I can revalve your Bilsteins.
    Is that just Rpack billies or can you do PSS9s?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudnik View Post
    Awesome! We met at the SCCA Road Course event. What's the best way to get in touch with you? What sort of spring rate do you recommend for a Miata that is almost solely used for autoX (& future track days) but I do take it on the occasional spirited drive around town (when I'm feeling the itch).
    PM sent.

Spring rates will depend on which tire you want to run. In my development on the Miata chassis I have found that the different tires needed different setups to get the most out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I didn't know Dave could do re-valves...what a deal!
    I wasn't doing them in the past (back when you were shopping around) but my Miata development has been going really well and is at a point where I can start offering revalving services.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Is that just Rpack billies or can you do PSS9s?
    Good question, I am not 100% certain. In a normal Bilstein shock, there is a nut at the end of the shaft (inside the shock). This nut is hammered to destroy the last threads and keep it from backing off. Normally to do any work on these you have to repair the threads and use a nylock nut as a replacement. In a PSS9 the nut and threads are likely a different size so I would need to do some research to find out for certain.

PM sent.

Spring rates will depend on which tire you want to run. In my development on the Miata chassis I have found that the different tires needed different setups to get the most out of them.
    I'm running the Hankook RS3s 195/50/15s. Have you developed a setup for those tires?

This will be the route I take when I upgrade.. David KNOWS his stuff

David do you have a shock dyno? I am getting some Bilstein’s with a Corvette race shop valving if you want to dyno them before I put them on. I would get you to revalve some OTS shocks but these were just a little more than OTS Bilstein’s.

Well valved Bilstein’s are hard to beat for the money.

If you have a set of billies i would go with david. I run high end FCMs and while they are great we did have issues initially including a shaft nut backing off i have been happy with them
    Prior had tien flex that were used on a couple of different miatas with tien usa revalving that were real nice just heavy as heck.
    Steve E

Quote Originally Posted by Jctattoos View Post
    This will be the route I take when I upgrade.. David KNOWS his stuff
    I still have a set of shocks sitting here waiting for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    David do you have a shock dyno? I am getting some Bilstein’s with a Corvette race shop valving if you want to dyno them before I put them on. I would get you to revalve some OTS shocks but these were just a little more than OTS Bilstein’s.
    No I don't have a dyno. In the past I had been renting time on a dyno. Now I am looking at buying one as soon as the right deal comes along.

FWIW I've loved revalved bilsteins for a while. :) Best bang for the buck IMO...AND I happen to have a set of MSM shocks I'd like to get rid of too...the silver bilsteins Perfect donors :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    FWIW I've loved revalved bilsteins for a while. :) Best bang for the buck IMO...AND I happen to have a set of MSM shocks I'd like to get rid of too...the silver bilsteins Perfect donors :)
    Hey Miata_racer; What would you want for the Billys?

Also, for anyone that can answer, is there any harm in running a lower spring rate on a shock that is valved for something higher? I want to get my billies revalved for 700/400 but I don't have the springs yet so I was considering using my existing springs (QA1 springs I got from Summit; 400/250) until I get new springs.