Thread: Where do you draw the line?

Thumbs down Where do you draw the line?

I was cruising home tonight on 75 North in the left lane. Doing 75 mph (10 over), V-1 at the ready, not holding up traffic. (Read: no one behind me)

The next thing I know, a red Mustang and a black CRX pass me on the left! Remember, I'm in the left-most freakin lane! They passed me easy and had to have been going well over 100 mph.

Now, I've been know to hit triple digits but it's been on clear freeway expanses and I have never passed anyone on the shoulder like that! If they had been in my rear view, I would have pulled over to let them pass as I'd rather let someone by than be tailgated.

In this day of cellphones, a call to 911 is readily available. I've called 911 on a driver that turned out to be doped up on some crazy sh*t who was an obvious menace on the road.

Do these fools and their stupid antics deserve a similar call or am I just getting old?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I was cruising home tonight on 75 North in the left lane. Doing 75 mph (10 over), V-1 at the ready, not holding up traffic. (Read: no one behind me)

The next thing I know, a red Mustang and a black CRX pass me on the left! Remember, I'm in the left-most freakin lane! They passed me easy and had to have been going well over 100 mph.

Now, I've been know to hit triple digits but it's been on clear freeway expanses and I have never passed anyone on the shoulder like that! If they had been in my rear view, I would have pulled over to let them pass as I'd rather let someone by than be tailgated.

In this day of cellphones, a call to 911 is readily available. I've called 911 on a driver that turned out to be doped up on some crazy sh*t who was an obvious menace on the road.

Do these fools and their stupid antics deserve a similar call or am I just getting old?
    I agree I have also messed around on a clear freeway, but never have passed on the shoulder, or even gone that fast with cars around. Calling probably wouldnt do anything other than wasting minutes unless there was a unit very close.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That was very stupid of them and their luck will run out eventually. (Hopefully no one will be hurt in their wake.) On the other hand, did you ever notice anyone driving slower than you is a moron, and anyone driving faster than you is an idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    did you ever notice anyone driving slower than you is a moron, and anyone driving faster than you is an idiot?
    I like to mix it up a little, so I guess that makes me a moronic idiot!
    (like we really needed this example to prove it )

In truth, it's often a fine line... a couple of guys showing off, I usually let it slide a bit. Someone weaving because I think they are drunk, get's a 911 call every time.

Would I have called the cops in this case? Probably not. Would I think badly of you if YOU had? Probably not.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    The next thing I know, a red Mustang and a black CRX pass me on the left! Remember, I'm in the left-most freakin lane!
    Why you cruising in the passing lane? That drives me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Why you cruising in the passing lane? That drives me crazy!
    Cause everyone in the right lane were going too slow! Morons!

Seriously though, I don't make it a habit to cruise in the fast lane. Normally I cruise the speed limit or +5mph in a middle lane which is what everyone else was doing. I was going +10mph in the left passing folks up. If I see headlights in my rearview, I'll always let them by if I feel I'm holding them up or if they tailgate me.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    On the other hand, did you ever notice anyone driving slower than you is a moron, and anyone driving faster than you is an idiot?
    Guilty as charged.

I did some stupid stuff on public roads when I was younger, and I do tend to cruise 10-15mph above the limit on the freeway, but I can't say that I've ever passed anyone on the shoulder.

Then again, I've never called the police on anyone other than my neighbors.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Don't make'em have to chuck their donut...or in the case of the FW captain on tonight's news, give up a hummer while sitting in his squad car, just to chase a couple of guys hell bent on killin' themselves...

Seriously, drivers like that make me wish I wasn't retired...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

^ i missed that one.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    ^ i missed that one.
    The captain got caught by the show "Cheaters" messing around in a squad car. I just heard about it at lunch...
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    The captain got caught by the show "Cheaters" messing around in a squad car. I just heard about it at lunch...
    The video is pretty good...

No, not really... no video... but the story has been brewing for a while in all the local newsrooms...

Yep, there WAS video on NBC local news at 6PM last night. It seems some guy who is caught up in a nasty divorce has been having his estranged wife followed and videoed by a private detective. He says he has 4 separate videos involving the captain and the estranged wife...
    Ohhhh, the memories of stuff that happens in a cop car!
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"