Thread: Transmission leaking

Default Transmission leaking

Curious if I did something wrong when changing my tranny fluid last Thursday. I drained the old and put in new on Thursday night. It seemed to take right at two quarts of Redline. I drove from Allen to Carrollton then Frisco for some appointments with no issues. On the way home I started smoking heavily. It smelled like tranny fluid and since I was running fine (no driving issues, no sounds) I limped home.

Put the car up on jacks, I couldnt see an obvious leak point (I had spilled some fluid when making the change and hadn't cleaned it up, I know what yall will say to that), so I sprayed some engine cleaner, scrubbed and hosed off the tranny and exhaust. The fill plug was loose and I tightened it by almost one full turn. Assuming I had the problem fixed...I left the car on the jacks and ran it for 20 minutes seeing no leaks, no issues on atest drive either.

This morning I suddenly started smoking heavily on the tollway.Same thing... I am leaking tranny fluid and it is blowing back onto the exhaust and I am smoking like crazy. There was enough tranny fluid on the exhaust that it dripped onto the concrete once I came to a stop here at work.

I've never had this issue before and I obviously did something wrong when I changed the fluid.

Any thoughts?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Crush washer missing or need replaced?

How much fluid had you lost when you checked it on Friday??

I reused the same washer. Should I replace it?

I refilled the tranny with 1/3 of a quart maybe a little more.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius
    I reused the same washer. Should I replace it?
    I'd try that before I did anything else.

I think Sammm may be onto something! Since it's all cleaned up today can you see where it is leaking from???

I'm going to try to although I'm at work. I think I can ease one side up on a curb and shimmy underneath or at least have a better look at it. Is there a transmission cooler on a 95 model??

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius
    Is there a transmission cooler on a 95 model??
    Automatic = Yes

Manual = No

The housing near the rear seal where it connects to the drive shaft is cracked. Well, not just cracked it's split open. the leak id coming from there and dripping directly down on the exhaust.

So, does the group have a preferred transmission shop in the Allen/McKinney/Plano area?

If the housing itself is cracked then you should find a suitable replacement in one of the local wrecking yards.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Any clue on how it cracked, and how long it has been cracked?

I know Turboduane just had some transmision work done you may want to PM him for the name of the place.

No clue really. I've had the leak for just a few days. Is there a rear bearing that might have seized? That might have caused enough force to shear the housing I assume?!

I've been out of town (/country, with little to no internet access), so sorry for the late response. I recently had Cookson Transmission work on my car. I know they have a perfectly good casing from my old transmission. The gears are gone but the casing was fine. If you haven't done anything yet give them a call at

Cookson Transmission City
    Randy ?
    (972) 298-1411

Address: 723 S Highway 67
    Duncanville, TX 75137
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.